Power in the House: Introducing PowerHouse 200!

Interesting product as always! But I don’t have that kind of money for that right now. I know I would use it for emergency stuff like an power outage.

Its’s called greenwashing, moving the emissions to somewhere else you cannot see.

Now in the case of a home or camping, you’re talking not having a generator or running the car with the noise and emissions therefore not near you.

But no, this technology is not remotely green. The greener would be to not use the gadgets.

To use a battery to charge a battery there are losses, simply not buying a Powerhouse and use your phone less would be significantly greener than buying it.

You are correct but its due to scale.

The energy conversion of a big power plant is higher, better,than a smaller conversion. So the energy conversion of fossil fuel in a big, efficient, power station, is better than inside a small engine in your vehicle.

Of course if those big efficient power statons were solar, wind, nuclear, then the fossil fuel issue is diminished but the manufacturing of those power stations, they contain consumption of fossil fuel, so everything you do at the point of consumption (drive a car, say) is necessarily harmful to the environment somewhere to some degree.

The most green thing you could do is never exist, or have no children, the next level up is be vegetarian, higher levels of less-green is ride a bike or use mass transit (efficiency) systems. So to a some degree your existence now is poisoning the future. Of course if everyone was a scientist so existence led to a future which was sustainable and technological then you’re permitted to exist, for now. :kissing:

So our robots in space crunching up meteorites and nano-scale bots make up new things we then use, and we just spread out across the galaxy, we’d likely survive a few trillion years, rather then few thousand years with the current geo-political reality of we carved up the planet into race, religion and countries who waste time disagreeing.

1 Like

I do believe we ll get into this too far if we go ground to end product. Its why I said if you only focus on the finished product, leaving out the manufacture and everything, the individual electric item is light years cleaner than gas (cant compare rest, their waste biproducts are too different to compare imo). There is no maintenance other than plug in to recharge and maybe drain here and there to preserve levels (btw, have you read a recommended maintenance schedule for gas generator… Its outrageous).

Can’t wait to see reviews of it :+1:

During the winter you might be unlucky enough that the power only goes out in your building. Happened to my apartment once in Manhattan, while a bunch of buildings around me still had power.

1 Like

I would love to have one but $400 bucks is, at this moment, a tad bit beyond my reach too.

The non-geeks in my home have Fusion 5000 as their bedside chargers so a power outage begins with 5000mAh of stored energy outside of their phone. They then have some Eufy stick-on lights to not stump their toes til they get to the LC40 / 90 / 130 dotted around. Then there is about 100Ah of Powercore to keep going for a few days, some solar panels to stretch that longer if its sunny. The laptops have fairly beefy batteries to begin using before we dip into phones then Fusion then Powercore then solar. If its sunny I can get about 100Wh per day from solar, that is enough for phones easily or tablets if its sustained sunny.

The biggest benefit of these Powerhouse is the AC port which implies a power hunger laptop which implies a 40Wh type battery which lasts a few hours and so 200Wh will last 4-5 days max.

The situation of camping, well if you’re car-camping you’d run the car and a 12V DC/AC inverter. If you’re not with a car, so carrying, you’d not be with a laptop but a phone or at most a tablet and then a Powercore 26800 typically.

So the decision tree here to go with a Powerhouse is baffling, I can only imagine either someone needing AC-only medical devices, or rich geeks who bafflingly cannot move to a 2018 USB laptop.

1 Like

Anker, I believe you have some translation issues here with this device. This is NOT a generator. The word generator is defined with creation of something. This device does not create, it merely stores electricity provided to it and discharges. It is a battery, not a generator. Using the word generator is legitimate false advertising and at some point that will cause you issues.

Sorry but it’s not false advertising, A battery-powered generator is one that powers DC devices. The inverter in the device converts the batteries DC output into power for AC devices. Look it up, there are a number of lithium battery powered “Generators” .

2 Likes

Agreed with Elmo, while converters and generators are quite similar in final product, this particular item is a generator. This generates/converts AC to DC through use of a chemical battery, while a gas generator generates/converts AC from gasoline.

All regulators have to look at is does the advertising cause obvious and expected confusion to consumers, and the answer here is absolutely yes. Generator is a commonly used term and this sort of advertising is blatantly confusing to the average consumer. Other products include the terminology “gas-free” or “solar-powered” to avoid confusion. This just says “portable generator” which is simply not clear.

Anker knows this, hence why the first PowerHouse says “Generator Alternative” on Amazon. They chose the terminology specifically then but for some reason didn’t now.

1 Like

Yeah this is definitely not a “generator.” The word itself means to “create” energy, either by chemical means (gas powered) or photovoltaic means (solar). This is simply a storage device.

The embedded Li-ion batteries would be “chemical” batteries that are used to generate electricity… not sure how this fails your criteria to be honest. Guys gotta stop nit picking something when the term is accurate.

Except that it’s not a generator, I liked it. Just a huge power bank for those who needs it.

Fair enough…but it’s not like you can actually GENERATE electricity chemically, you can only store it. It’s not as though you could get more Li-ion material and refill it as you would a solar, wind, or gas powered generator.

It is not me, technology has changed and the term has been opened up. A power bank is DC in and DC out, hence “bank” where you take out what you put in.

1 Like

It seems @ajsanders2004 s has opened up Pandora’s box

I’m not green and I don’t care about fumes or anything. I’m just saying I find this to be deceitful advertising. It really surprises me anker would do something like that. @AnkerOfficial you should really consider changing that.

1 Like

“Generator definition
the noun generator is usually defined as a machine that converts one form of energy into another especially mechanical energy into electrical energy as a Dynamo or electrical energy into sound as an acoustic generator.”

So just because you have preconceived notions of what a generator should be that does not mean that’s what it is.

1 Like