New USB-C Type 2.1 standard offers up to 240 W power delivery

Far cry from what it we had just a couple years back

4 Likes

I wonder if phones ever get those charging standards :joy:
It would fry the phone

1 Like

Unless they come up with different battery compositions not likely going to see immediate phone applications.

But when can we charge a Tesla at the lamppost?! ¯(°_°)/¯

1 Like

Funny, but it is nice to see this for higher end laptops, and should never be relevant to a phone. A lot of people don’t understand why 100W isn’t enough, but those with a real graphics card built in… 240W really covers almost all laptops.

I wouldn’t be so excited about it except that every laptop maker has different chargers, which I have never understood - barrel connectors are great, durable and simple. But everyone has to make their own.

Yeah I think 25w for a phone is quite fast and decent :+1:

2 Likes

Insane but not many things like phones or iPads could take advantage of it but leaves me with hopes of the future

Any laptop is necessarily weaker than a tower system as it cannot push out the volume of air to sustain cpu load so becomes thermally throttled and so is slowed. So if you want performance, tower will always win. Tower will be powered by a large PSU. So doing very high Watts through USB is obtuse waste of time.

Laptops upto 100W makes sense,suits the form factor and power needs. 100W = 20V which balances nicely the typical 18V-19V of the cells used in laptops.

Until we get graphite or solid state cells in phones, you’re going to struggle to benefit from much more than 25W for a phone, saving a few minutes. These very high Watt phone recharges must finely balance voltage and current, hence PPS and PDO.

I’ve yet to ever hit more than 60W need for USB, a laptop I had and returned from 2016 was 60W PD input and I benefited from the USB charger shrinking from the barrel brick, but not by that much I’d think it worthwhile pushing higher.

Where we are pushing limits now is laptops with fewer ports than needed, and hubs. If your laptop does nicely balance with 60W and the hub needs 15W we need 85W USB chargers. Anker has been ducking this themselves by using barrel connected PSUs for their larger hubs.

A large number of engineering / workstation type of laptops draw 130W. A reasonable number of cad ones use 200+. Performance is good enough that they can substitute for a tower and still be portable. Not for everyone, but a demographic that spends. With work from home, this has become even more valuable.

My work laptop has a 90w power supply. So have my last 5 over about 15 years, it keeps being a sweet spot for my job. So with a dock, I could use 105W. But keeping the power supply size the same with the more efficient ps technology, I wouldn’t mind a 130W profile and a mid range graphics card without an increase in weight.

Laptops largely use 19V power supplies now, and the current rises for more power. But 48V POE is an industry standard, plus 5A is in the USB spec, and that keeps the cables thinner. So this actually makes a lot of sense. Not a waste of time at all. But everyone has different needs, nice to see moving towards a spec that has that flexibility.

My gripe is the lack of a consistent labeling standard. I have usb-c cables that support transfer speeds of 2, 3, 3.2, and probably 4 soon. Plus 60W or 100w charging, soon to include 240W. And visually, they look the same. So I have to label my own. There should be a labeling retirement for all cables in the spec.

1 Like

How about the Tesla charger :joy: