New Product Shipping Now: Did You Back the EverFrost Cooler?

Not sure if you saw this link I posted previously, but this a use case for it. They have reviewed several units; they like these types of units because they sip power and can be moved around easily.

1 Like

I also donā€™t see the point of KS for Anker. Theyā€™re cash rich can easily absorb the development costs. I see therefore this is just being used for marketing purposes of ā€œcoming soonā€.

I usually prefer V3.

V1 contains the flaws of the mind of the inventor.
V2 contains the flaws remaining after the enthusiastic backers found what the inventor hadnā€™t thought of.
V3 contains only the flaws after general users spotted them.

An expensive V1 from someone with over $1B market capitalisation makes no sense.

Ideas Anker hasnā€™t thought of is field servicing. This is a big item. Thereā€™s likely one component most easy to fail. It should be user swappable so only shipping a small replacement. I told them that already with their powerhouse but still they release monolithic products.

These DC cooler systems rely on the thermoelectric effect (supply DC and a surface gets cooler one side and warmer other side). So the two most common failures are the insulation barrier between the food container and the thermocouple, and the DC-DC unit. If the barrier fails itā€™s a complete replacement required but the DC-DC unit should be field swappable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect#:~:text=The%20thermoelectric%20effect%20is%20the,different%20temperature%20on%20each%20side.

I believe we do. Solar Panels. :slight_smile:

I joke around, but take your point about less opportunity to fail.

I think people buy EverFrost to solve two problems ā€“ they need the newest thing and getting ice when youā€™re driving through the wilds of the American West (the only remote areas Iā€™ve experienced deeply and frequently), getting ice isnā€™t a simple stop. Itā€™s a 25-minute drive to/from camp if youā€™re close to say Moab, Utah, and even that is a distraction if not a chore. Iā€™d rather be MTBing.

I think, too that Americans LOVE their space and their freedom, so a PowerHouse feels suitable to them. Theyā€™re going in the bunker if things go to he77.

A PowerHouse designed for self-repair ā€¦ thatā€™s interesting. Iā€™m going to write a sci-fi script in my head and then think about what that could look like. Cool idea, prof.

1 Like

Yea! I really like the V1, V2, V3 logic. Practical and conservative.

I donā€™t know what market cap is and I donā€™t want to know. My brain is too full.

I think KS has its appeal for us because it drives interest in the product. I could guess at other reasons, but I think the truth is probably more interesting.

Your idea on the swappable component works if itā€™s truly a component that is easy to swap. My carā€™s sparkplugs used to be right up front, and $25 at the auto shop. My new car? $600 and they have to take parts out to access it. I canā€™t think of anything much easier to swap out than sparkies, but there ya go. I suspect that my sparks on my old car were more likely to fail though ā€¦ so maybe your point stands. Interesting way to think about it.

And of course, when I crashed up the body ā€¦ it was a complete replacement of my car.

That group has quite a few already! Iā€™m glad. Itā€™s really a great application for them.

A friend of mine has an off-the-grid family cabin in Wyoming. Itā€™s so far off the grid, they have no power solutions ā€¦ an EverFrost would be a good solution for them while they figure out what to address first on the property. Theyā€™re two hours from pretty much anything.

You can use the EverFrost with solar or obviously a PowerHouse sized 555 - 767.

So itā€™s not exclusively AC.

Also, maybe this is an American thing. Maybe it was the oil crisis in the 70s. Maybe itā€™s the high (to Americans) cost of diesel.

Diesel<Sun

Youā€™re right, you could be prepared with ice on hand in case you need it to keep meds cool ā€¦ but ice takes up so much space in a freezer, and power outages arenā€™t so predictable or even seasonal necessarily. I experienced power outages year round in Wyoming. Wind took out power lines.

But we never went days without power. Thatā€™s a testament to the grid, regulatory authority, population density and the linemen, for sure.

Depends where you live. If thereā€™s many people losing power then it gets prioritisation, but if thereā€™s a long line and not many people at end of the line could take many days while you wait your turn.

I also donā€™t take meds,ā€¦ as 90% of illnesses are avoidable. e.g. type II diabetes is curable in weeks.

Come on, this is feeding to the geeks who see it then realised they want it. Admit it.

All those I know who get regular power outages own diesel generators.

I have been gifted a whole wooden stair from a condemned house two weeks ago.
Now all is sawn and stored.
Winter can come and those Greens can ā€¦ (censored)

1 Like

Good for you. Making best use of what already exists is the greenest thing you can do. Buying new things you never see all the mining, factory and shipping environment costs.

With the exception of a very few things like housing, most items biggest environmental cost is burdened before you own it.

I recently replaced my 16 year old bike, old one sold to a better home, new one likely lasting me til Iā€™m (cough) unable to bike.

I also gave my 6 year old Anker PowerPort+ 5 to someone last week as their 8 year old Powerport 5 wasnā€™t powerful enough to keep the 4 year old tablet I gifted them charged.

We shouldnā€™t be afraid to be proud of still using older Anker equipment which still works well long after warranty. While I know Anker wants us to buy all new stuff the reason to buy Anker is fundamentally it is reliable, and reliability is key to getting way longer use of the initial environmental costs.

1 Like

My daughterā€™S bike was stolen, so I bought here a ā€œnewā€ one.
Itā€™s a ca 60 year old ā€œgrandma bikeā€.
Works absolutely fantastic.
There was nothing to repair at all.
Was all the time well hidden in a basement.
Got it for 20 Euros at the flea market from a friend who is in the household clearance business.

Yes indeed seems we are not the customers industry is looking for! :rofl:

2 Likes

Manageableā€¦never curable unless you live a pure Spartan lifestyleā€¦some vegetarians with active lifestyles and normal weights have been diagnosed with type 2 and even with additional weight loss are still on risk factors

1 Like

Donā€™t want to turn this into something else, but of the: how where when what thatā€™s only some of the topics you mentioned. The When is interesting. Every real person Iā€™ve met Iā€™ve solved their issue but Iā€™m not in it for $ so no books or videos or links, so Iā€™m not retracting my words,.

Thatā€™s a good thing not a bad thing.

Water has 4 times the specific heat of air so for any given external temperature increase, water raises its temperature 4 times slower than air. Thatā€™s why March is colder than September despite the same sunā€™s strength, due to all the water around us.

That equates to packing your freezer with ice (or more accurately watery foods) til itā€™s full to a slower defrosting when power is out.

I do the same in fridge as in freezer, and learned it from my mother. She kept tinned food in the back top of the fridge, I asked why, I was told, and she was correct, that it both saves money and when power is out it slows the fridgeā€™s warming.

For outdoors off-grid situations I will move from fridge to fridge but pack the food which should never get warm below food which can get warm.

Iā€™m not mentioning this to denounce what Anker is selling - just to offer a low-tech no-cost alternative.

Indeed these ideas can complement. If someone were to buy an Anker Everfrost, Iā€™d advocate exactly the same ideas, make it full to the top, place the never-warm foods at bottom and the warm-tolerant (watery) items near top as the Anker product produce have lower energy consumption and keep never-warm items colder for longer.

So youā€™d place you meds at bottom of Ankerfrost and your drinks / salad at top of Ankerfrost.

Any kind of fridge is fighting the same issues of energy is transmitting through the surface (a square) while energy is stored by matter (a cube) , while the heat pump (compressor / thermocouple) is a fixed maximum capability turning on/off, every time you open such a fridge, cooler air leaves and warmer air enters. If youā€™ve reduced how much air is in a fridge by filling with watery items youā€™ve minimised such transfers. And if the power were to go out, something were to fail, the contents will warm slower with the water items at the top slowing the warming of the items near the bottom.

So the advice still holds, even if you did buy an Anker Everfrost.