New Power Bank!

Who’s excited for the all-new Anker PowerCore Fusion!?! I know I sure am!!!

2 Likes

Ummm, I have no idea what that is? Maybe I missed it? Little insight please.

2 Likes

Must have missed this too, care to elaborate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Appears to be a 18.5Wh wall charger with built in 5000mAh battery :slight_smile:

Google translate page

ANKER PowerCore Fusion 5000 Mobile Power + Charger =?

4 Likes

Looks sweet, may have to keep my eyes open for that one when it hits Amazon UK

2 Likes

Looks good. Is it a new product by Anker?

1 Like

Where did you find that!?!?!

I think it’s from this website;

http://www.dgtle.com/thread-562199-1-1.html

Only posted on 6th Dec so it looks like a small overseas (china) release at present…

1 Like

Looks interesting… I wish could read the thread in English to see what people are saying about it.

2 Likes

Yeah. Anker says it’s coming here in a couple weeks

1 Like

Thanks for the translation…:grinning:

1 Like

I have actually wanted a combined Powerport2+Powercore but I’m disappointed in the size and capacity.

5000mah only? For the size a little but more surely?

However, I’m going to buy it because this situation of carrying a Powerport2 is a very common thing for me, carrying a Powercore 10000 is a very common also for me.

So its just wait for the discount code (2-3 months). Release price…(pure guess from adding Powerport2+Powercore 5000 with a bit of electronics merger and less casing efficiencies)…$30?

1 Like

Here is a crop and passed through an image sharpener

So you see its 72 x 70 x 31mm which makes it 156240 mm3, and 189g

Compared to a Powerport2 57×54×29mm = 89262 mm3, 96g, so the Fusion is 75% larger and double the weight of Powerport2.

The Powercore 5000 is 91768 mm3 136g, so the Powerport2+5000 = 181030 mm3, 232g, so the Fusion is 86% of the size and 81% of the weight of the separate items.

The explanations of the power in/out combinations is in Chinese and the Google translations aren’t terribly clear.

However, I get the impression that when it is NOT plugged into the mains it gives a total max 3A output, when it IS plugged into the mains it gives 2.1A total max output. My theory is that is due to heat output challenges of combining the inverter with discharge.

I can see in the translation some mentioning of prioritization which do you serve 1st the output or the internal battery, I can’t tell which. Logic would suggest you’d be best serving the power output 1st and then the internal battery, as that’s most overall efficient, i.e. it acts as a Powerport 1st priority, Powercore 2nd priority.

The page awaiting content https://www.anker.com/products/A1621

2 Likes

So now I’ve pondered it, I remember the problems with Anker products which can be made worse in this situation.

The problem with Anker’s design of the Powerport 2 and 4 is the alignment of the power pins blocks other power sockets. I can see why Anker designed it that way so the weight of the item will keep the pins unfolded. The preceding products had static non-rotating pins and they were are right-angles so larger (and more dangerous to items stored near with protruding pins) to store but could be used taking up 1 plug placement. This means you must place it last in a line of sockets and then you might run into other problems like built into a recess in a office desk there isn’t the space, or it accidentally turns off a gang rocker (strip of sockets, with an on/off rocker at the end). So this has meant I never bought the Powerport 4, kept at the Powerport2 and the Aukey.

The other problem is weight and hotels/flights. The typical USA plug in a heavily used place like in a hotel is so worn/loose that anything of weight falls out. Classic one for me is under-seat power on flights, and hotels. This kept me from the Powerport4 and to the Powerport 5.

So this is why I kept with an Aukey 2 port for these situations and I also use a Powerport 5 type where the cord is the wall and little weight on the wall for when I need “more”.

The combining of a battery with a 2-port has these same problems made worse, you (like the Powerport 2, 4, etc) must place it at the lowest of the available ports hoping there’s space there to fit, it blocks more ports (taller than Powerport2) and is heavier (than Powerport2). So it won’t suit all situations.

I’m not writing this not to say its a good/bad just to share me experience to anyone who has, well, less experience in the situations I outline of hotels, flights, offices, etc.

I’ll probably buy one anyway, its more useful than just a Powercore 5000.

Photos to show typical problem.

1 Like

You could always just translate it…

The automatic translations are horrible. Enough to get a hint but some is meaningless.

The way it switches from 2.1A to 3A and how it prefers its needs relative to device needs isn’t clear in translation.

The translations imply a high expected price.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll look out for it

1 Like

Hmmm I thought it was quite good and and useful

Should be here by the end of the month.

I agree it is a good start and will have its uses. It is though somewhat disappointing on a size/weight/spec basis.

(assuming I’m reading the Chinese-English translation and the specs correctly)

I passed this image through a Chinese-English image translator and crudely it seems to be saying the same as this English version specifications

The output as a Powercore and Powerport equivalent seems to be

• 5000mah / 18.5Wh ~ 3.7V which is Anker’s usual 3.7V battery.
  • “Charger output” When plugged into mains it has a max of 5V 2.1A output (so making it a 10.5W mains charger). This makes it Anker’s weakest Powerport. Powerport2 is 24W, two 2.4A ports. This is less than half the power of any of Anker’s current Powerports. This part is where if true I’d challenge Anker, and so where I think is least likely true, it is a major drop down in Watts just to fit in 5000mah.

• “Mobile Power Output” When unplugged it becomes 5000mah portable charger with 5v 3A max output (15W). Excluding any conversion inefficiencies is therefore 5000/5*3.7 = 3700mah to your device so about 1 full recharge for most higher end phones. The 3A output makes it faster for the newer USB-C devices which can take 3A. Say my Pixel tablet where it would ~ 36% recharge assuming 90% efficiency.

So the worst aspect is the size/weight/Watts ratios. This is only about 20% smaller and lighter than the combined volume and weight of a Powerport2 + Powercore 5000, for that 20% smaller you lose 2.7A of output.

Another way to see it is it is 28% larger than a Powercore 10000 which has double the capacity. Powercore 10000 is 7.4 cubic inch and weighs 6.4oz, this Fusion is 9.5 cuin and 6.7oz.

I expect this can be easily addressed, tuned, improved in future iterations. Making space and weight savings and having a combined charger+battery is an excellent idea (although not new and I’m pretty sure if we crawl this forum we’ll see it requested at least once). I’d expect to see this 2.1A 5V output to improve in the same size, or the 5000mah to increase in the same size, or the size to shrink for the specifications.

The crowdsource funding site states a price which in direct currency conversion is $21. I don’t expect that price initially!

3 Likes