Nebula for Classroom Use?

Has anyone tried to use a Nebula projector in a classroom setting? I could see a lot of potential uses for the Nebula capsule, but I’d love to know if other people/educators have used this technology in class and what their experience was like? Also, has anyone had success in applying for funding to cover the addition of a Nebula in class? Thanks

3 Likes

would love to know about other educators experience, too!

1 Like

Using the Nebula projectors in an education setting would need a few things taking into account, the size of the room and audience which is being delivered to (for audio etc) the ambient light conditions and positioning ability for the projector (as many schools have them roof mounted with cables run in trunking to the teachers desk). For most modern schools (PFI ones especially) the rooms are normally both big and have a fair bit of ambient light, so high lumens (3000 plus) are often required for best viewing capabilities to a class size of say 25-30…

3 Likes

it will for sure be better than the current old ones in my school

Not in Germany. I could imagine that it would work in some places. We don’t have projectors in every classroom. We have just 3 or 4 for 20 rooms. Otherwise we have smartboards.

I imagine that a capsule might work for a short time. Don’t know I would love to try but if I buy a capsule I would send it back within 2 weeks because I’m not ready to spend so much money on it yet.

I install and maintain projectors in 50-odd classrooms for a small college. The Nebula is too dim for a classroom, @ndalby is right, 3000+ Lumens minimum. This is what we use most, clocks in at 3,500 lumens:

https://epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Interactive/BrightLink-685Wi-WXGA-3LCD-Ultra-Short-throw-Interactive-Display/p/V11H741522

You could bring a nebula in just to show a movie or something, but you would need to turn off all the lights and shut the shades. Even then it would be tough with more than 10-15 students.

3 Likes

If you need funding, I would try donorschoose.org (in the US at least, not sure where you are) and go with a less expensive option like this one at $599 retail for 3,500 lumens:

https://epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Classroom/PowerLite-W39-WXGA-3LCD-Projector/p/V11H856020

Companies and distributors usually give price breaks for educators as well, so make sure you contact the seller to ask about that option.

I don’t have a nebula capsule, but one thing I could see that could be a problem is the battery life. It is only four hours, so you could only use it for 4 class periods. If that’s all you teach it could be fine, but if you tech any more you wouldn’t be able to use it.

Teachers usually get projectors given to them, so I don’t think this would happen very often.

the problem i am see as it was stated above how big is the class room this projector in my option is good for 5 to 8 people

Just as @ryandhazen says, this is much too dim for classroom use. I also work as an AV tech in a college. Ryan linked to one of our most popular brand of projectors. Even that is too dim for some situations in classrooms. I’ve used up to 5000 lumen projectors in most locations around the school, but if any of those locations have windows then even that can be too dim to see. We’ve bought projectors like this before for portable use in off-campus locations and we had nothing but complaints about them.

I have an LG brand portable projector simlar to these. It’s 150 lumens is too dim to use anywhere but a blacked out room, unless you put it so close to the wall that your image is 12" wide. The 300 Lumens of the Mars II might be slightly better, but the 200 lumens of the Nebula won’t be any better.

I have such a projector in my basement. For the basement, its brightness is enough. but I agree with the comment above that in the class it will work poorly. and most likely students from the rear desks cannot see