Nebula Capsule Max

I’ve got the Nebula Max. I’ve seen a lot of comments about contacting Anker for the Beta google service. Few queries from me.

• Who do I contact to get the beta service
  • Are there plans to upgrade the operating system on the Max so more UK apps are available such as ITV player?

Thanks!

I would suggest you contact Nebula support directly On support@seenebula.com .

They would provide you the needed code to add Google Play support.

Once you are on Play Store, you may attempt to install the apps. Note that not all apps work and some apps are Geo-locked by providers.

I have the Nebula Max now, opened box, setup, upgraded. Not read the manual, just common sense. Installed the Nebula Connect app on phone.

Was all highly intuitive apart from accidentally hitting the speaker mode button on the back.

Nil software issues, nothing failed so far. Netflix installed, works, Amazon Prime install, works. No need to unlock play store yet.

I put some MP4 720p videos on a USB stick in and they played. Connected my BT headphones, worked.

The only major problem is that I’m projecting into the opposite wall, and it’s daytime, I drew the curtains, and it’s still quite dim display. If I push the projector nearer to the wall to make it brighter, it’s then actually to my eyes smaller than my tablet screen on my lap. So it is my suspicion these are not bright enough to bother. I did go into settings and change from auto to bright in case it was somehow not on max brightness.

So I’m thinking of returning it, put the £383 back in my bank for something better, like a Chromebook.

I will borrow a reflecting screen of someone to see if its the wall’s reflectivity fault.

I’ll sleep on it, use it tonight when ambient darker and decide tomorrow.

A screen will improve a little bit but it’s down to the lumens vs daylight…a friend bought one and yes in early evening / night time, rather impressive image…daylight, well, just like your images…

When the price is weighed up against a normal projector with a few thousand lumens, I don’t find the small form factor to be a sway factor…perhaps when they boost the lumens (and res) I might consider taking a dip myself…

1 Like

For the projectors, you will need it to be a bit darker in the room than what you have - this will also take care of your wall texture being seen while projecting. Even with the screen - daylight is going to hinder.

I too have a wall with same texture, but making the room pitch dark gives awesome experience on 100 ANSI lumens (100 less than Capsule Max)

We’re in agreement there. The capsule Max is not that small, it is simplicity of moving. I have seen with my own eyes a £100 projector which is more complex but brighter, and now this, and it is aligning with my suspicions these smaller ones are probably not worthwhile at current technology/price. Also matches how the “renewed” ones are in greater stock than new ones.

I have a 14" laptop which at arm’s length is brighter for same size as the Capsule Max on the wall, and a 11" tablet even better display a bit nearer. But laptops tend to fall off laps and more easily damaged, so was thinking this projector for different situations. Maybe a Chromebook is the sweetspot of cost + portability.

I’ll decide tomorrow.

@professor

Hope you got a proper working unit… i tested my Nebula Capsule (original) in mild daylight, and still the picture was pretty good.

I still feel you need to make your space where you plan to project, a bit more darker! The photos show you are using it mostly in 40 to 50% daylight exposed in the room.

I hope you change your mind :+1: :crossed_fingers: But select what suits the best for your requirements!

Thanks for your help, ideas, suggestions.

I closed the curtain as-is, it’s as dark as I can make it. I could probably do a better job at closing curtains, pressing them tighter against the wall to darken.

But then… instead of a room with open window, open curtain, I’m making sunny weather into permanent dark due just a projector.

Once it’s dark outside I’ll try again. If it works well at natural night then I could elect to do laptop screen daytime, projector nighttime.

The product in software, so far, I cannot flaw it. Audio quality good. The fan not too noisy. So it’s only brightness really.

I am at 54 degs latitude. You’re at 38 degs latitude, and we passed the spring solstice so more daylight for me.

A winter product, not a summer product?

1 Like

I have been using Prizm (initially since October 2019 ) and Capsule (Dec 2019 to Now)and mostly use it evenings / night.

Some rare times, we watch during day, we keep the windows open, but curtains closed (heavy curtains),so wind doesn’t blow them and splash light into the room.

I believe Capsule fan noise a bit more than Capsule Max, For Audio - I pair it to Soundcore Speakers,

I don’t think these are winter or summer devices, but need moderate darkness for illuminating the projection light!

Look forward to hearing your experience with Capsule Max at night!

It’s dark, using it now. Bright enough and more forgiving of the surface

I can’t fault the engineering or design, so far. It is a fundamental physics issue with current technology, brightness for a given size and fan noise.

I paired my Bose QC35 with the Nebula, this makes a good combination, no audio sync issues. Paired with my Soundcore Life P2, that is a very comfy setup.

I am showing it around the family eliciting feedback of imagine they are bedroom bound for 2 weeks and need to lose themselves in something other than their illness.

It projects on the ceiling with you lying flat in bed well. Do you get right-angle tripods???

Youtube works well, not found any problems, good design, so far.

BBC Iplayer works. I just apk mirror and USB stick over and installed. Easy.

Fan noise is very good, a little louder than say a laptop doing some media recoding.

If this were October I’d be thinking this an excellent 6 month solution as this far north its dark 4pm.

Pics you posted now look better than the earlier ones , so an improvement!

Nebula also has the tripod, which are much better than what I may be using.

I use this tripod bought over Amazon, works perfectly for Capsule :ok_hand: for Wall projection…

Projecting to ceiling, tried it once, just placed the projector in its box and placed it on bed - boom! no tripod needed!

Not meaning to be a part pooper but most bright things often look better in the dark…

Are the good Nebula Capsules a good feat of engineering, yes well / maybe… room for vast improvements to make them “revolutionary’ for the price tags and to raise the bar on a market which has been dominated for years by others…sorry but yes… :raised_hands:

I was using the nebula Mars II for a while and now using the Capsule Max. I use a camera tripod for both, and a pull up projector screen. Before I got the pull up screen I used a screen that had to be stretched out and attached at all four corners and while it worked ok, it was by no means better than a wall hence why I got a pull up one.
Nebula Capsule Max

Nebula Mars II

MARS II picture

Capsule Max picture

I’m returning it. It is simply not worth £383.

Needs to be a lot brighter for that money, or a lot lower cost. I don’t have a basement / garage type place and it felt simply wrong to close curtains in daytime, it’s like the technology would make the world less good. We spend enough time in the winter in the dark to not make it happen as we get to summer.

Flat panel + Chromecast, laptop, big tablet (I own all of these already), or a brighter less portable projector, all better options in my view.

Well at least I tried it, better to try and fail than not try at all.

Another “renewed” goes back into Amazon’s warehouse.

Pros: well engineered. Simple, I didn’t read the manual, just common sense. All the apps worked simply. Single simple all in one.
Cons: cost. Brightness.

Sweet spots right now are probably any old flat panel which has HDMI and Chromecast, and Chromebook, for static and portable situations respectively.

1 Like

Hope you get a better solution in the setup you mentioned,

I myself have a Chromecast sitting in storage now - not used for sometime, will open it up and use it on our spare TV … :+1:

Has anyone had issues with Plex having a yellow or orange overlay when playing movies?