My review of the PoweWave 7.5 Wireless charger

I also posted this in the New Release page of the PowerWave, but figured this would also be helpful here.

This is my review PowerWave 7.5. Keep in mind that I am using an iPhone 8 Plus and and a PowerPort Speed 5 hub connected to the QC3 port. My phone will only charge at 7.5w, but the charger is capable of 10w while using a Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 source.

The PowerWave is pretty darn fast
30 Min - 24%
1 Hour - 47%
2 Hours - 88%
Full charge was at about 3 hours, 10 min.

The device was warm during the first half of charging, which is to be expected while fast charging wirelessly. The charger however, was ice cold thanks to the built in fan. I picked up the charger and device together multiple times to feel for heat from the vents, and there was none.

In comparison, the PowerPort Wireless 5 Pad and Wireless Charger Charging Pad (formerly known as PowerPort 10 Qi) charged the same phone 17% in 30 min and 34% in one hour at 5w. Those chargers also made the phone warm while charging.

Build quality is very nice. It is much larger than my PPW5, but the materials seem more premium. The grip on the device and my nightsand were awesome. The charger doesn’t slide around at all with or without a phone on it. The included micro USB cable is thick and substantial. Probably one of the best feeling USB cables in recent memory.

I very much like the blue light. Pictures do not do the light justice. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I did.

I will say that I feel like it was a little hollow and could be a bit heavier. Adding a weighted element to the device would definitely elevate that feel. Having used the Mophie Wireless Charging Base, I want that.

One thing that can either be calming or aggravating, is the built in fan.
I get the function of the fan, and during my test, it did not bother me at all. But time (and personal preference) will tell if that will be a deal breaker for other users as fan noise is audible which may annoy light sleepers.

Overall, I am pleased with this charger. It’s fast, feels good, has great grip, and is quite nice to look at. The fan is nice, albeit audible, and it could be a bit heavier, but other than that, solid product from a reputable company!!

I you all have any questions, feel free to ask!

12 Likes

Photos!

They help.

4 Likes

I figured it out!!! Pictures are up!

4 Likes

Your review makes me want to buy one of these wireless charger cool pictures

4 Likes

Nice review, and thanks for adding the pictures. I’m curious did you test with yor without the case? I wonder if charging time would be different in each instance…I know it can charge either way but you may see better charge times without

2 Likes

Great review. I’m just waiting for upgrade day (will prob be new iPhone this year) so I can get in the wireless game

2 Likes

Thorough review with pictures, and detailed description about the fan, which I did not notice before. :grin:

3 Likes

Very nice review and the photos!

1 Like

Excellent review. Thank you for adding pics. I like the comparison pic between the different chargers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great review and pictures @jepha :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s a really great idea. I did not test without the case. I would be more than happy to retest and post the results!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

1 Like

Ooooh, I love this review. The pictures help out a lot. This thing seems to charge super fast!

2 Likes

Great review and great pictures!

2 Likes

A great review, I need to buy one too.

1 Like

Great review and pics. Its good to see you can charge through the case. I’ve heard that some of the chargers have issues charging through the case.

1 Like

Thanks for including the Apple Watch charging dock in your photo. My Anker wireless charger (2.5" diameter) sits right next to my Apple Watch charging dock, so it’s nice to get a reference point for the size of the Powerwave charger.

BTW, that Powerwave charger is big. What’s the diameter on that? 4.5"? If I put my iPhone 8 Plus on my Anker wireless charger, the charger disappears completely underneath it.

Hey Anker, when are you making a multi-device wireless charging pad? To charge 2 phones and 2 apple watches at the same time???

1 Like

They listed a multicharger is gonna be released soon

2 Likes

great review really nice photos to go with it

1 Like

Excellent review & pictures @jepha :sunglasses: