My Review of the Anker PowerPort Atom PD 2

This item was sent to me as part of the We Love Testing Event for my unbiased review.

Unboxing
Standard white box with Blue lettering, inside is the Happy not happy card, User manual and the plug

SetUp
I had initially set this up to be used at met wall plug, but due to the age of the plug this would not stay fully seated… a problem often mentioned and brought up by @professor due the size and bulkiness of the charger it would be a hard fit for aged plugs. I ended up using a heavy duty power strip I have in my bedroom as this allowed the plug to be down instead of hanging from a wall.
I paired this plug with my Anker Powerline + USB-C to USB-C cable and for the second plug testing I used my Anker Powerline cable

Testing
I initially tested this using my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and my Samsung Galaxy S10e. I also charged a handful of batterypacks, two of which were PD capable. I also tested the MacBook, but since that wasn’t mine I had to give it back rather quickly and did not get to snap any pictures. But, it did charge my Samsung S9+ in an hour and 45minutes, which is faster than the stock charger. It charged my S10e in about the same time as the S9+ even though it has a smaller battery.
As for the MacBook, I ran into trouble here and it could also be why my S10e didn’t charge faster, but I started to get erratic readings from the charger and it seemed like it got confused as to whether or not to output power delivery voltage. I saw the volts and amps jump all over the place on multiple occasions. I had to unplug the charger from the socket for a minute and then it was able to charge the MacBook fine, but since I had it for a short time I could not get a decent reading or time frame on its state of charge.

My S10e still had eratic readings when trying to charge it via the PD port, but once I switched it to the Power IQ port it charged up fine. Which is weird in itself because the s10e can handle power delivery and seemingly charged faster using the power IQ port over the PD port.

I did try to charge two phones at one time and I still had eratic readings, I ordered a new power meter just in case it was too due with my meter. But none the less, I found that this will replace two of the chargers I have in my bedroom as it can handle the PD when it works and also the power IQ port charges items perfectly fine. This will be my dedicated power bank charger as most of my battery packs now can be charged via PD, and if it can’t I still can use the Power IQ port to charge the others.
@AnkerOfficial, I thought the erratic readings was due to my meter, but even when i remove it from the equation I still had the sporadic readings. Do you think my unit is defective?

Aside from the issues I have had, I would still recommend this to others who had a need for the 60w single and 30w split power output. I can help eliminate multiple chargers one would use and you can use this one instead…just make sure when you get one that it works as needed.

7 Likes

Did you test your devices and cables on other chargers with the meter and see if maybe the devices or cables you are using is causing negotiation issues?

yup, tested the meter and cables on my 5 port with pd charger as well as my power port II without issues. I reached out to the meters manufacture and they are sending me a new one just incase

I have a different meter but I didn’t have any major fluctuations after it negotiated up even with changing between one and two devices multiple times.

Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

What is the make model of the meter ?

Nice review!

great review.

I think this is the usb meter

1 Like

Great review and testing, @Tank!

Excellent review and testing as usual @Tank :ok_hand:

thank you @kumar.sachin

Thanks for posting the meter, I kinda fell asleep after posting the review. It’s tough working all night and then trying to stay up to do things

Inexcusable, don’t let it happen again​:wink::wink:

Great review.

Nice review @Tank, thanks for sharing…

Good review and pictures. I’ll keep my eyes open for a deal on it

That review was built like a tank! :wink: great job buddy. :ok_hand:t2: