My Review: Anker PowerPort Atom PD1

Initial unboxing was pleasant. Virtually no wasted area within the box, yet the device was well wrapped and showed no signs of being awkwardly smashed in. The box shut clean, the wrapper around the charger had a nice and sturdy feel, yet easily opened and came out without pieces tearing. The design is similar to the stock Apple 5W charger, with about 30% more size (considering it is 6 times more powerful this is a solid win). Once plugged in, the device only obstructs the port it is plugged into, making it ideal for outlets where one would require the second receptacle.

The Devices this charger was used with are the Iphone 8, LG V35, Macbook Air (2015), Iphone 6 (said it could do it so we tried it), OnePlus 3 and a Galaxy S9. A breakout board to try and build this into a stable power supply for work usage fell through, the necessary component was on back-order, so I will need to attempt this later on.

Almost every device used reacted similarly or had some benefit from PD charging. Both devices that didn’t have QC and devices that did were able to benefit from the adaptive voltage in order to achieve the best possible charge.

Note - Out of every item plugged into this charger, the OnePlus 3t was the only device that did not do as good or better than the OEM charger (The DASH charge system is 5V4A)

I would like to start this off by saying GaN component devices are incredibly impressive. Being able to function for a full 75% charge while under operation (I am hard on my devices so this would be worst case) yielded a device that stayed relatively cool the entire run compared to the stock charger (LG fast charge) and also even the Anker PowerPort Speed 4 that also does very well for warmth. For these tests, new cables were paired with each device as listed below.

• OEM LG Charger (EAY64469128) matched with stock cable (EAD63849231) 4ft
  • Anker PowerPort Speed 4 matched with Anker Premium Nylon USB-A to USB-C 6ft
  • Anker PowerPort Atom PD1 matched with Anker PowerLine+ C to C 6ft

All 3 of these chargers were viewed by my device as comparable. When there was 50% charge remaining, any one of the 3 required 1 hour to achieve full charge, at 75% is was right at 39 minutes. The only difference between these chargers was the plug and the charger itself. There was zero variation between everything (which in my opinion speaks very highly of Anker as both of their techs easily paced the OEM charger). A side-by-side of the Atom and the Speed 4 below (The OEM device fits in between the 2 size wise):

Finally we have the Pros and Cons.

Pro:

• Lightweight and compact

• Quickly calibrates to necessary voltage demand

• Very, very cool to the touch

• Small size allowed for snug fit into receptacle, even when slightly worn

Con:

• While it is the first of new tech, it does end up undersized if you have high demand devices (i.e. Macbooks)

• The prongs do not need to fold in, but some form of protection would help (rubber bumper or similar)

• A single port relegates this device to travel or specialized usage (the supply ripple is very low so it would make a nice DC supply)

• I would prefer a squared design to one that looks to be “bulging”

All in all it will be my new go to travel device and once my parts arrive to try and make a DC supply I will look into its usage here at work. The size and power really makes it a handy little guy to keep around.

9 Likes

Nice review. I don’t think I need one of these but they sure look nice :joy:

Great review love that you included pictures and the unboxing

I enjoyed reading your review. It covered a lot of points and it was very informative. This is definitely a must buy!

The point about folding pins and more ports is coming up a lot. I suspect a 2 or 3 port Atom with GaN will be the one to go for.

I have the single port 60W PD with folding pins, a 3 or 4 port version of those, as USB-C ports are smaller so there’s room, would be perfect.

I think what I personally wish more than a lot tweaks here is just a side accessible port. The speed 4 sticks out too far to be vertically mounted (only in a flat powerstrip or floor receptacle will it really shine). The atom would be great for behind my nightstand if it it had the plug on the side. For a fold out prong style, I would prefer plugs downard facing to counteract the mechanism. Wishful thinking, but some of the products are just too outward heavy and need better balancing.

1 Like

Great review and photos, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. :clap:t2:

Nice in depth review

Nice review @Monk3e thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your review, @Monk3e !

Did you mean a 2018 MacBook Air instead of 2015? The 2018 model has USB-C, the 2015 doesn’t.

Your OnePlus results are dead on. Both OnePlus DASH and Huawei SuperCharge fast charging are incompatible with all other fast charging standards, such as USB Power Delivery which the Atom PD 1 uses. No third party charger will fast charge a OnePlus or Huawei USB-C phone.

Sorry, queuebitt, meant the 2015 Macbook (I always say Air, forget there used to be days where apple didnt add on dumb monickers to seperate their devices of the same line)

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Otherwise I was going to ask the adapters used to connect MagSafe to USB-C :wink: I know a few folks who would love that.

Nice review, thanks for sharing @Monk3e

@professor Agree, prongs and ports are the ones coming up all the time, more ports would be big plus to the product!

1 Like

So I would not criticise the Atom 1, I think its specific design is about “wow its so small!” to get attention plus the non-folding pin type design is easier to make a universal core as you just stick a bit of solder and press on the country specific final pins so a UK version and EU version is a tiny design difference. Folding pins is a very muc a USA specific design.

My main problem is just the delay, waiting for decent more useful items. My view is the smaller an item, the less important its size becomes, I’m more interested in shrinking multiple chargers into one and sharing power budget across many devices, so a decent 3-4 port is a long wait. The absolute space saved of shrinking a 60W is greater than in shrinking a 30W.

1 Like

Atom PowerPort PD1+ May be upgraded model with the updates such as foldable prongs and 2-3 USB-C ports

What say @AnkerOfficial :slight_smile:

So as a parallel read-across of the problem with small chargers and folding pins is this model (not PD)

The lack of a long edge against the wall and weight of a long heavy USB cable means the item falls out the wall easier. What happens is the lower friction against the wall causes it to pull out, and the pins have to be shorter to not be protruding (to scratch items in bag) so there’s less friction inside the socket to keep the item in. The smaller the item the more it becomes forced to non-folding. This is why we really need 2 or more ports, I’d say with USB C sockets a 45W larger one with folding pins with 2 or more ports is going to be a winner.

A non-folding 1 port in your bag is about the same size as a 2 or 3 port folding pin in external dimensions.

1 Like

Great review. I got one of these and love it. I only use to charge my Note 8 and one of my powerbanks. Its so fast and when I get my new notebook I will use this charger to charge my notebook.

That’s something I hadn’t considered. I took my Atom PD 1 and compared its prongs to an AUKEY PA-Y18 (18W USB-C PD, closest in size I have) and Anker’s older 30W USB-C PD charger.

The prongs on the AUKEY PA-Y18 (which fold) are longer. Hard to measure, but around 2 mm difference. The AUKEY weighs 1.5 oz, the Atom weighs 1.9 oz.

The prongs on the Anker PowerPort Speed 1 USB-C are the same length as the Anker PowerPort Atom PD 1. The older Anker weighs 3.6 oz, the Atom weighs 1.9 oz.

Based on that the Atom PD 1 seems to have a reasonable prong length. If you haven’t had problems with Anker’s older 30W USB-C PD charger then you won’t with the much lighter Atom PD 1.

I don’t know if it matters, but the Anker prongs end with a right angle while the AUKEY prongs curve.

Excellent post, you own these and pictures!:clap:

So I own the Aukey. I have to use it for recessed sockets. That cut-off corner cannot be the side experiencing the force, the Aukey just slopes down and doesn’t quite fall out but close to, and I have to either have wires pulling perpendicular to socket or have it up against something, like another charger just below the cut-out side.

So there is a minimum size for folding pins. If you’re going to have all of that space, might as well have more USB ports.

I don’t have the Atom 1 to measure pins, good to know they are shorter (but why…)

Those 12W folding pin dual sockets are perfect little travel chargers, I use mine as a backup and for more ports and for awkward placed sockets (recessed desk and under-floor sockets). I bought 3 for $5 each years ago. Because I have these as backups, my main workhorse charger being 3 sockets would be fine.