My Nebula Capsule review

Having owned one of those large, bulky projector in the past, let me tell you that the Nebula Capsule is a godsend. This is the little projector that could!

Everything about this projector screams quality and well built. It has a good weight to it, which is a good thing, so you know that it isn’t comprised of cheap plastic. Buttons are clearly marked and has a good feel to it and the ports for the connections (micro USB & HDMI) fit nice and snug.

Being the equivalent size of a soda can, I was skeptical about the volume output. But that was all put to rest as the speakers are more than adequate. In fact, I have constantly had it in the 60% range as that is plenty loud for me.

Hooking up external devices was painless. I connected my laptop and a FireStick via the HDMI port and the Capsule instantly detected the HDMI signal and switched to it immediately. As for connecting a USB stick, you would have to go to the File Manager icon and select that input from there.

Casting from my devices to the Capsule, on the other hand, was a bit tricky as it took a handful of tries but I eventually got it to work. Initially when I used my older phone, OnePlus One, to stream some music videos from YouTube, it was really choppy and practically unusable. I then used my current phone, OnePlus 5, to stream the same music videos, and it was 95% better (a little bit of stutter here and there). Now I’m not sure if the casting performance depends on the specs of your device but this is something that you might keep in mind. The OnePlus One had 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 chipset and 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) OS. The OnePlus 5 on the other hand has 8GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 chipset and 8.0 (Oreo) OS.

Navigating the menus is accomplished by the included remote. But the feature that I also liked was the app that is downloadable for either IOS and Android where you can use your phone or tablet to navigate just like if you were using a mouse. This makes it a ton easier if you are searching for something and you can use the keyboard on your device to type it in instead of the remote.

The Capsule comes with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage, of which around 2.5GB is already used up by the OS. 16GB would have been preferable though! Right off the bat, I have already received 2 system updates so the current version is Android 7.1.2

The only negative that I can point out in the Capsule is the lack of Google Play Store compatibility. What it comes with is something called Aptoide TV. I’ve never even heard of it. I tried installing a handful of apps from there and some of them failed because it said it needed the Google Play Store. Then what the heck was the app doing in Aptoide TV in the first place then? Makes no sense. Anyways, one way around this was to use the FireStick.

As for how long the internal battery lasts, I have gotten around 4 - 4.5hrs on this thing. Pretty good for this size of a projector. With the included Quick Charge outlet, recharging only took 2.5 hours.

All in all, this projector has exceeded all of my expectations. Its small size is great for portability, great volume output from the speakers and 4.5 hrs of playtime means that there will be more than enough power to watch a whole movie.

8 Likes

Great review, and finally some real use pictures kf what it looks like on screen. While it looks a bit washed out, it seems adequate for a nicely dimmed or darkened room.

Nice review and pics. Looks and sounds like you are very happy with it.

It’s a great bit of kit I think and would love it for me and the girls to kick back and watch movies with.

I’d take it everywhere and watch movies in mental places.

2 Likes

This is the first nebula review in the community!
Thanks for all the pictures and feedback!
Hope more people will enjoy this product.:grin:

Great review @deeznutz great to see the pictures too :smiley:

Excellent review & pictures @deeznutz :thumbsup:

@elmo41683 Had a mess with a friends Nebula Capsule and depending on the lighting and your projection endpoint (screen / wall etc) the image can appear washed out. In a dark room (like the cinema) brightness and colours were quite surprising for such a small little unit.

Only downside I picked up on at the time was the speaker, that while good for a medium size room, the fan can sometimes impact on quieter moments in video playback. Pairing a more powerful SoundCore to your video source (tablet etc) soon sorted :grin:

1 Like

Sounds good, hopefully I can get one at some point

Thank you for the review with all these pictures. Do you think that it was worth to invest the money into the capsule?

That depends on your needs. If you’re into home cinema, then probably not. You would buy the Nebula mainly for portability: for example, you rented a hall for your mother’s 60th birthday and you want to play a home made video of family pictures, then this would be a good choice.

I can also see taking this camping and using the side of the tent to watch a movie or play video games for the kids if they get bored

This is something I’m very interested in getting a hold of. This would be perfect for my Class Room or basement.

But is it not just 480p I’m not sure if I would like to play a game with that resolution

If your out camping does it really matter?

No you are right. I wouldn’t even play a game there. Do we know if we could power the capsule with a battery pack?

Indeed you can as the power draw isn’t that much

Good review great product

Nice review, i would really like to have one of these :smiley:

Really happy that everyone like the review.

It really is a great product!

@Kopra_12 Yes, the Capsule can be charged with a battery pack. In one of the pics, you can see a battery pack next to it. Of course it is a Anker battery pack :slight_smile: