Memorial Day Weekend in the US

I called my active and inactive cousins in the Air Force to thank them for their service. I mean … it’s a whole way of living, life in the military.

1 Like

R&R deserved! Enjoy it!

1 Like

Amazing! You’re lucky to live in such beauty … and with animal friends, too!

1 Like

Congratulations on an important occasion, Tabor Family!

1 Like

I love it! Caving and camping!

2 Likes

LOL! Hahahahaha

I can see you’re car camping so weight isn’t an issue but there are laptops which run happily off USB. My Chromebook consumes average 4W (45Wh cell lasts 11 hours) and will accept a 5V 2A 10W input and keep full, so I can cope with just carrying the required quantity of Powercore. Their oldest lowest cost Powercore 26800 is thus 2 laptop recharges so I can cope off-power for 3 days.

If I’m given a work large laptop I’ll P2V Virtualbox it and run atop Linux on something smaller, such as a Chromebook (unlock and run Linux container).

If you’ve got a good network signal but lack electricity, and if you truly need a high performance computer to run the app then still do the P2V stage but have the VM running on a powerful server at home, then RDP to the console of the VM. Even if work requires to VPN that’s within the VM you still can access the VM’s “screen” remotely and turn up the VPN within the VM. So that’s your local device running RDPclient and SSH client, network SSH to port on server, port-forwarding the 3389 RDP port from remote to local (so RDP traffic is encryped within SSH tunnel), fire up the remote VM (virtualbox command line) and then RDP client connect locally to the remote port forwarded to local, and voila you’re accessing a performance system remotely securely from a power-light local device.

That last method means you can go down in size even more of what’s in your hands, a tablet with bluetooth keyboard.

1 Like

Work issued laptop, have to use it and any type of remote connection to the device breaks ToS, which I refuse to do. I would much rather just use my T14 that has a 60W draw, but it isn’t in the cards.

2 Likes

Familiar with work laptops, in consulting I’d have two laptops, my employer’s and my customer’s laptops. I’d usually merge them, typically client P2V ontop of employer’s laptop.

Not even a secure RDP? Pity, it’s just as secure. Right don’t want to lose your job. :innocent:

Most Thinkpads now are their rectangular socket AC and 60W USB PD. I’d travel with the 60W charger just for smaller travel luggage.

So doesn’t apply to you but someone won’t even know about P2V or virtualisation, SSH port-forwarding, etc so hopefully it gets someone else thinking, shrink from an AC need to a DC need.