Mag Safe portable charger left charging?

Accidentally left my portable charger plugged into a surge protector via a 12W iPad charger. I’m gone for 4-5 days. Will it be ok? I just don’t want it catching fire. image|500x500

2 Likes

Don think it will catch fire.
Modern chargers as ANKER do have protection against overloading etc.
Same the phone has.
Stay calm.

2 Likes

Yes and no.

Yes in that the portable charger once it’s cells are at target voltage will disable voltage to its cells and turn off it’s electronics and become dormant, and won’t re-awake until the cable removed and inserted. So you’re highly likely to be absolutely fine.

No in that there’s always a tiny chance of a power surge which fries everything connected. As you’re using a surge protector, that risk is a little lower, and in general this risk is tiny anyway.

You’re extremely likely to be absolutely fine.

In general you can leave everything connected as it self-senses and disables itself just every now and then a surge comes through, most surges don’t immediately damage electronics but causes accelerated wear. So a long-term strategy is unplug in general everything not used repeatedly, whether a TV or microwave or… or… a portable charger.

3 Likes

I use such sockets everywhere its needed

1 Like

Good.

All modern UK sockets have switches. Few USA sockets have them.

I’ll also caution that a surge protector is of not much value as they are slow and don’t cover brown-outs.

If you have something expensive it’s best behind AVR (automatic voltage regulation) higher end UPS (uninterruptible power supply). Such a product uses stored battery power to supplement mains power when it’s lower and steps down excess voltage so protection from long term harm.

Because a AVR UPS is expensive in general just switch off or unplug.

1 Like

There are no modern sockets here in our house (1980)
So all items which are normally used in “stand by” etc. in our house are switched off this way.

Of course we are no GREENS.
Never! :grin:

1 Like

The greenest thing anyone can do is buy fewer things, the energy in manufacturing is far more than consumed apart from very few things (fridge, heater, etc).

If you do buy something it should last a long time and the good thing about my Anker items is they’ve been consistently reliable , I’m still using chargers from 2015.

1 Like

I don’t buy any things I really don’t need.
No new, modern phone, no new laptop, now new tablet.
I try to repair things if possible.

I am a typical “after war child”.
In those times we had really nothing.
So I care about things as good I can.
And we educated our kids (old now :grin:) to act the same way.
I would call this conservate, not green.
So we are conservative not green.
But I will not talk about any politics :zipper_mouth_face:

By the way, we replaced our thermal solar system.
After more than 20 years of use there was a leak in the boiler.
This could not be repaired,
(Special type : A kettle in a kettle)
The inner kettle got a hairline and was loosing water.
No chance to get in there and to repair.

This was a “all in one system”.
Very innovative in those times
Now we installed a totally other type of system :
Separate kettle, control system and pump.
More easy to maintain and to repair-

1 Like