I have two iPhones SE just for having good battery life, but lately they are not living very long

I have a question, a few years ago I bought an Anker car battery with IQ technology, however I have realized that since then the useful life of my iphone batteries has diminished considerably. Observing the original wall load of Apple, note that it delivers 5V to 5W / 1A, already my Anker says to send 24W / 4.8A on two doors.

My question is this, this fast charging system that increases the power output, could be damaging my battery in the long run?

I’ve been using my iphones most of the time in the car, practically all the time with waze and goople maps. I am afraid that even with the PowerIQ in the charger, this is compromising the health of my batteries.

I have two iPhones SE just for having good battery life, but lately they are not living very long.

1 Like

Hi @rAs1,
These chargers should not harm your iPhone. When you connect your phone to a Power IQ charger, there is a bit of a communication process that takes place (“Hey, can you accept 2 amps? No? OK, here is 1 amp…”) which is done by checking for certain voltage on certain PINs of the USB connection.

From my experience, there are generally two things that can ruin the battery life on a phone:

• Letting the battery drain below 20% often
  • Leaving a battery drained at 0% for a long period of time

Also, do you ever leave the phones in the car on a hot day? Heat can also shorten the life of the battery.

6 Likes

The car charger is not what’s diminishing your battery life on your phone. Yes the charger can supply more power than your iPhone can input, but your phone will only take the max charge it is capable of handling. This is the benefit of power iq as it will only ever output what your phone can handle, nothing more ever.

What could be causing your poor battery life can be a number of things, lately it has been attributed to the iOS updates. Another reason as Apple has admitted us they shut down the phone to prevent damage to the battery. You can try these fixes Here

3 Likes

Good advice from @TechnicallyWell already.

Each cell has a finite recharge capability, of the order of 300 so that’s 600 if you recharge when half charged or only 300 if you waited til it’s nearly empty. That equates to degradation at 18 months and a 2 year life.

This is worsened by heat.

Also most users either add more apps or the apps get bigger. For example adding a smartwatch adds BT tethering.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I understood, I thought my Anker for the specs was sending at least 4.8A. About leaving less than 20% and zeroing the lottery for a long time, I already knew and for as long as possible leave connected to a power source. In the car my iPhone is sheltered from the sunlight and I always have the air conditioning, so I think there should be no problem.

However, a question has arisen now, does leaving the iPhone almost all day to charge can cause battery damage?

1 Like

thanks! :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like you need to condition your battery.

Also, check for any new apps draining… Or even
Leaving NFC BT on when not using.

Plus, is this one of the phone apple admits to slowing g down with iOS updates?

In general, it’s OK to charge your phone overnight as your phone’s circuitry will stop charging once it’s at 100%. However, leaving your phone on a charger all of the time can stress the battery when it’s always at 100% 24/7. It’s best to keep the electrons moving in the battery and let the charge fall a little bit throughout the day.

For example, for the last few phones I’ve owned, I’ve charged them whenever I’m near a charger, so the phone is usually between 75%-100% throughout the day and this seems to do well (on my iPhone X, my battery health has stayed at 100% for over a year according to Coconut Battery).

For your situation, I would feel the phone while you’re using Waze. If it feels warm/hot while navigating, this heat could be degrading the battery even though you have the A/C running. I think Pokemon Go ruined my iPhone 6S a couple years ago because the phone was always hot while I was playing. :joy: It needed the battery replaced after a year.

1 Like

thanks for the information exchange, it really should not be nice to always be plugged in 100% of the charge. I plan to change the batteries of both in the retail store, after that, whenever I get to 70% I will put them to recharge. thanks! :hugs::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Well said. I love that analogy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been using Anker charging devices for several years on my Apple Devices. I use my old iphone 4 to play music at the gym and my ipad 2 for photography studio work. My wife ran an iphone 5 for a few years and now her iphone 6. None of these devices have had issues and the batteries in these devices have declined due to age and use not because of the chargers.

As to your SE phones, Apple still has their limited battery replacement plan for $30. We did this at an apple store last summer on the iphone 6 and it was worth it. It took them about 2 hours to do it. But it beats paying 100+ from a local dealer

Here’s the link - https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

Proactive offensive charging is both better for the phone and lessens the benefit of the phone, relative to reactive defensive charging.

Proactive charging is when you take every opportunity to keep the phone charged, so its charge below 100% is really how long the phone spends in your pocket. Phones are mostly about pockets and hands. If the phone spent a long time at 100% its not really a phone but its been used as a tablets.

If you gather together your proactive system which is chargers all over the place then your phone battery will last longer elapsed time and you’re going to be with a phone about to go off from flat extremely rarely, it would be when you’re basically spending all day outdoors away from anything other than your pockets.

Most phones struggle eventually after 2 years and so need the above more often, i.e. the number of days your phone turns off due to flat moves from never to rare to often which is after YYY days. Then you can either crack open the phone and follow a guide to replace or buy new phone.

I am struggling to think of a time my phone has gone flat…

Reactive charging is when you basically think “it is a phone! Freedom! No caring about any kind of plugging in for all days for XXX days” But then XXX is less than YYY.

Eventually your old phone for battery or other reasons is no longer worthwhile for you, then it becomes a spare backup phone, store it about 70% charged and every few months recharge it and discharge it and store it again at 70%. Those phones in my experience still function as a backup til about 7 years old then the lithium battery has oxidised so much it is cracking open the phone case and is dangerous.

1 Like