HUGE Announcement: Sign up to be Notified

BIG NEWS

We’ve been waiting for SO LONG to be able to share this and now we finally can!!

In just 5 days, on July 25th, we’re revealing the next evolution of Anker charging. If you’re someone who appreciates the ability to get things done quicker (everyone, right?), then this is for you :eyes:

The launch is our best multi-device charging lineup yet, and we want you to join us live for it!

Visit the link below and on the first banner you see, hit the ‘Subscribe Now’ button so you’re notified of the event and even get the chance for Early-Bird Offers :bird:

Subscribe%20Now%20Banner%403x

Let us know if you’re excited in the comments below, and we’ll see you at 9AM PT / 12PM ET on the 25th :star_struck:

12 Likes

GaNPRIME

> 100W

?

1 Like

Nice. Sounds like maybe “Series 8” multi-device chargers

I doubt it as that’s a lucky number in China and would invite backlash as “why does it need luck”.

I’d expect more 7 series.

Definitely peaking my curiosity Anker. :slight_smile:

It will be a new solar powered powerhouse. With all the heat across Texas, will definitely help :slight_smile:

I foresee a couple of new PowerCores, 100W+ wall chargers or cables on the horizon.

1 Like

My link to source and pertinent quotes from Anker CEO Steven Yang.

"This year, we announced that the dual-port product would increase to 65 watt or up to 90 watt. We feel that is enough for now, but looking forward to the future, we feel the multi-port product will probably have to be 150-watt or 200-watt or even 250-watt — because the multi-port product will have to support, for example, a 60-watt phone or a 120-watt laptop and a few other things that will quickly add up to 200 watts. At this power rating, it really needs gallium nitride to reduce the size of that charger.

Those huge brick adapters that come with gaming laptops were 200 watts, right? Users don’t want to carry that 200-watt brick everywhere. With gallium nitride, we can make a 200-watt charger in a very small fraction of that size."

So I would expect two phases:

• per-port max of 140W, across all ports 100W-140W-150W type initially as very few need more than that (per port)
  • going to 200W later.

This is based purely on two things - Mr Yang’s own words and if you read what others are doing similar things around similar timescale. I won’t link to the latter.

Please bear in mind what going above 100W per port actually means. Your existing cables won’t work. 100W is 20V 5A. But to drive a port above 100W needs a different cable to USB PD 3.1.

So expect new cables to support > 100W as without those cables you cannot then take the next step to >100W per port

(source)

So again I am thinking initially a per-port 100W-140W, and new cables to support higher Voltage (to then support higher Wattage) in a multi-port package (say a 100W port but multi-port total higher) and then 2nd phase where per-port is above 140W and total raises even higher.

Personally I am still hanging back. I recently got a new laptop, takes 45W but it has decent DC buck-boost converter within and is happy ingesting 10W, it runs average 4W, consistent with it’s 11 hours battery life, so I actually bought in the last Prime sale the 12W output Powercore 26800 for £40, which is a 6 year old design, and the 4-port desk 65W charger, which is a 2 year old design, which has a 45W port for £30

I bought those with a reasonable insight of what is next, and their prices

3 Likes

Series 9 will be best

SO I am guessing everybody is CHARGED up for the announcement. :rofl:

1 Like

Amped up for sure… wonder if protecto will make an appearance…

1 Like

My work laptop needs a 90W power supply for itself, and if I plug it in through an external hub that supports USB-C PD passthrough, it takes 100W to get both. Combine that with a fast charger for my phone, at we are at 120W for two ports in one device.

Higher numbers than that would be great, but I think there is a significant demand for things in that range, that has been building since business laptops started moving to USB-C in significant numbers.

1 Like

Not saying you are wrong just challenging:

• does the hub support 100W input?
  • doesn’t a hub with a barrel connector work out lower cost in total?
  • “need 90W” does it ever take all 90W? Have you metered it?

I am not saying we don’t ever need these higher Watts, just do we need them now and do we need them now at these prices.

1 Like

The hub supports up to 100W passthrough. It isn’t an Anker hub. The computer alerts me immediately if it isn’t getting enough power, I have tested this.

Reusing power supplies across generations is where the cost gets lower. I have done that in the past by sticking to Dells with 90W power supplies for the last 15+ years. The computers become obsolete or fail way before the power supplies in general. Now the replacements for those computers use 90W USB-C. I don’t want some hub that has a custom size barrel adapter and is worthless when the hub dies.

A 60W power supply, or using a hub that only allows 60W passthrough, slowly drains the battery when in active use. The computer tells me it is running at a reduced speed / not charging at full speed if I have a 65W one. Or if it just doesn’t detect the 100W version successfully. Pretty standard Latitude 5521.

The 727 is fairly close to what I want, although a strange shape and would be better at 120 (20W from one port and 100W from the other) . The 737 could be close too. Still don’t understand sticking a USB-A port in everything.

This reply is to Anker primarily rather than you.

I can understand why they keep including a USB-A port in GaN chargers. A single small charger for all your needs for travel, either day work bag or overnight trips. We all own some form of legacy charging needs, like smartwatch USB-A custom cable. Heck even Soundcore is causing problems their Frames come exclusively with USB-A charging cable.

However, such an imagined person would be less experienced in such a purchase decision, and arguably may not actually exist.

Here’s why:

• there’s always a chance you don’t get to power, so you always carry a portable charger for a reasonable worst case scenario, so enough stored energy to get to 24 hours. e.g. if with just phone then a 5A-10Ah type Powercore, or also with tablet then 20Ah, or laptop a 26Ah (100Wh) type or a 5-10 + 20 two.
  • all portable chargers have a USB-A port and trickle charge mode, or if carrying two then at least two USB-A and at least one has trickle-charge.
  • USB-A needs are for small batteries so correspondingly don’t drain much of a Powercore.
  • USB-A needs are often slower recharging items so don’t get much benefit from a few minutes from charger.
  • so your Powercore services your travel USB-A needs, and then the challenge is to recharge your Powercore when you get to power.
  • For longer than an overnight trip, longer than when a Powercore (or two) is sufficient backup / fallback , you’d not rely on a single charger anyway. Two reasons: you often need 5 ports; you’d not rely on 1 charger in case it fails. 5 port example is: phone, laptop/tablet, Powercore, watch, audio.
  • so for your 5 ports you’d have something very small pocketable for the quick use of a short duration proximate socket, plus something bulkier in bag for the overnight recharge. Typically an older charger with USB-A and a newer powerful charger with multiple USB-C.
  • So given you own your Powercore anyway, they are too useful to not have, and given you been buying chargers for years, what is your current net new need is a small powerful exclusively USB-C multi-port charger.
  • the experienced buyer is seeking small 2-4 port USB-C chargers, as laptops move to USB-C something of the order of 80-120W. In my case my laptop is 45W, tablet is 18W, Powercore is 18W, phone is 10W, so that’s 4 port 91W.

So given Anker has “done what they have done” the next releases should be smaller for a given Wattage via ditching the USB-A ports, or can be higher Wattage as can use the space released for bigger components. So either smaller or more powerful.