Galaxy Fold review units are failing

I think what Samsung did is right (Sent a few samples to review). Reviewers did what they are supposed to do (point out the shortcomings).
Now its time for Samsung to rectify the issues seen.

1 Like

@MacBlank @cshenoy @kumar.sachin
Well said guys! Obviously Samsung has all the fault for not fully testing their products, they tried to do some damage control but at this point the damage is done. I believe they will continue pushing the foldable phone and in future versions it will be a much better product. They probably tried to be ā€˜firstā€™ and rush a product that wasnā€™t ready for every day usage.

We have all given shit to Samsung for messing up the first version of this new phone, but Samsung will learn from it and will either scrap this idea or deliver a beast of a phone

1 Like

Here. Everyone can watch this. A die-hard Samsung fan sent this to me the other day

1 Like

I was reading today they had a drop in profits for about 57% last few months.
But may be not only the issues with that mobile is the reason.

Their drop in profit is mostly due to their decline in memory chip sales as well as their screens, but with a lot more demand for their higher end memory chips they should start to see an increase in profits the rest of the year. Also their displays have been requested for more manufacturers so that will help as well

Tbh every company has some products that have issues at some point

1 Like

They had some decline but they are not blaming the phone division. I found this

That is true. I feel sorry for whoever ordered the foldable phone tho :joy:

iā€™d say the mistake was saying its for sale and launching it publicly, if they simply said nothing and handed out review units under NDA and took feedback, all quieter, then their brand have been less harmed and been cheaper too.

So the fault was the marketing department jumping too ahead of the product, everything else is normal product development, feedback, refinement.

There is always a tension between sales and marketing. On the one hand you cannot sell a future product so even mentioning it makes someone who would buy something today wait for tomorrow, reducing sales, but marketing donā€™t like to appear dull boring backwards. Itā€™s a judgement call and in this case it was a bad one.

1 Like

I agree. A few weeks of simple testing would have done wonders.

Months.

Takes a while to get feedback. To launch 20th February with a 2 month release data April 26th was arrogance in action.

1 Like

Oh okay. Iā€™ve never done a beta test so I donā€™t know how long they normally last :man_shrugging:

@TechMan already posted it, but worth it to watch it again :cry:

1 Like

This one is more balanced with positives and negatives and sees a future for folding phones once the kinks (literally) are worked out.

1 Like

Good video. It made me excited for the future of foldable phones. Once Samsung and other companies workout the issues, foldable phones might be here to stay

I agree in that I have learned that I am awfully bad at predicting what will be a good idea until I have tried them so I am purely open minded. Back in the 90s I was a frequent user of these:

Which were folding and the hinge was reliable, I think the hinge part will improve, itā€™s the folding display is the trickier problem?

Price will also find its own level, if it gets popular then unit costs fall, competition increases. So its just hard to predict when, whom.

The other path this can take may be radically different and have its own challenges, where I think wearables may take off. Apple Watch is obviously winning this, followed by Samsung Galaxy Watch, 3rd is Googleā€™s Wear OS which is comparatively awful in performance but better in ecosystem.

Anyhow my next experiment is Iā€™m going to try a trip using a 8.4" non-folding $300 phone I got last week, with a $170 LTE capable smartwatch, the theory is Iā€™ll be mostly with the phone as mostly have pockets big enough / bag and if I need to go somewhere without such pockets/bag Iā€™ll just use the smartwatch. I can see it failing as smartwatches are still fairly useless in comparison to even a basic small phone, but if i donā€™t try Iā€™ll not learn. I did a test day today out about and really, a 8.4" phone is not really fitting in my pocket that well, especially sat down.

Two phones (one on wrist, one in hand / bag) can be made to work with a virtual number, I use Google Voice, which rings both, or you can program you primary phone to conditionally forward calls to the 2nd phone (no reply, no signal, etc). My big phone SIM is on T-Mobile, my small phone SIM on ATT so Iā€™ll exist on 2 networks. I have similar setup with my OnePlus dual SIM phone.

Itā€™s just a different approach to have the small and yet large, that the folding phone is trying to solve differently, but at a lower cost point.

I gotta say we still in the early stages of smartwatches. I own the Samsung Watch 42mm and obviously the display is too small for my liking. Even typing a simple message is a pain. And they must work on the battery size. It dies too quickly. But I understand they have limitations on battery capacity on a watch.
Btw, whats the device you showed in the first picture? I never seen it before

We agree smartwatches are in their infancy also.

I have had one for over 3 years now (Sony Smartwatch 3, then the LG Watch Urbane 2, and as of next week the Fossil Sport), but the small screen means its not really a data entry device, it is more a notification filtering device, you glance at your wrist more than pick a phone up.

Battery life is just good code on good hardware. In general, given I was programming in hexadecimal machine code when most people reading this were not yet born, not condescending just fact, code has got less efficient, but hardware has got better, I was programming in 1970s in 1KB of RAM, my smartwatch has 768MB of RAM, so that is 48 Billion fold increase in memory in a device which fits on my wrist in only 40 years. There is no inherent reason why wearable have to be bad, it just needs a more intelligent programmer.

The portable computer I mentioned in the 90s is the Psion Organiser, I had Psion 3, 3a, 3c, then I jumped to the Palm IIIc, Palm 5, then I decided to ā€œunplugā€ for about a decade (prediction!) and resumed smartphones with the Nexus 4.

Where I see wearables potentially returning is the ā€œunplugā€ effect. Society may see this:

And conclude weā€™re too plugged in, too tech focused, not enough people focused.

That recoil may not be 100%, it may settle at a ā€œjust a little technologyā€ and so wearables may become the norm.

Every decade brings a new generation of people with different perspectives.

Lol thatā€™s exactly what they are at the moment.
Hate to say it but I couldnā€™t"unplug" for longer than 7 days. At this point it feels more than natural to check my phone. I was at the airport a couple of months ago and literally everyone was exactly as in the picture.

Next step a moblile integrated in your palm!

2 Likes