Galaxy Fold review units are failing

So it seems if it didn’t fail for one thing it would fail for another.

But I’m sure version 3 will be good. In general Samsung makes good stuff this was probably marketing getting too eager to push a product before it was ready. There’s probably engineer in South Korea saying “told you so”

That’s exactly what happened. They skipped tests and just wanted to push it to the market, they deserve an L

1 Like

This happened here too!

Let’s not forget that now it’s about who make it first. Before it was about delivery, I remember seeing Microsoft unveiled a tablet way before the iPad, and no one remembers that. But Apple delivered in a great way and was successful. Now Samsung has deliver first, now every one else follows. Maybe faulty but I think they created all this controversy and maybe they just will add more warnings regarding how sensitive the screen is and done. Problem solve.

I can assure you that they did testing and have done testing in real world conditions, but those who were testing was told to treat it like gold so everyone was being super careful with their units and not stressing or pushing them to the limits like the tech reviewers.

It’s easy to criticize any company when things are faulty, but do t knock Samsung because at least they acknowledged it from the start and are working to fix it as fast as they can.

Nevermind apple, who has faught and denied issues with their products claiming user error or this and that reason. And it taking a massive backlash online and from users before apple acknowledges anything, with the most recent being their laptop keyboards and displays

But this is NOT a real test, Rob.
The majority of users and customers are not those like we are, who care about things.

1 Like

Also it was Nokia who did touch screens first, but they did resistive and the screens scratched easily, but soon followed iPhone 1 and the (can’t remember name) screen, which was a bit toucher n didn’t scratch under use, was more responsive. People forget apple wasn’t the first… Again!

1 Like

Sorry but IBM had the first touchscreen phone, not Nokia. And it was a resistive touch screen, unlike today’s phones which use a capacitive touch screen.

That’s the word. I don’t remember IBM making phones (must be USA thing)

I know we lost out on ttt (the walkie talkie feature on phones around that time, cos most didn’t know how it worked… But at a time when you got few free minutes, using ttt would have been great, as it was free.

I may had said it before but I’m glad it’s happening to Samsung since they will DEFINITELY fix it. I’ve been with Samsung since they came out with the Samsung Epic. I know they will learn from this and deliver a great phone.

Samsung is very good in correcting themselves and have some really good products. They will fix this…

1 Like

Let’s say they fixed it and had a real nice quality folding phone. How good it is to spend $2000 + on a phone/tablet??

Before iPhone, phones were in $50-200 range. After that we are in $500-1200 range now. Future may hold $2000 phones…
Will everyone buy that? Most likely NO

1 Like

Samsung has forced iFixit through a partner to remove Fold teardown from website

https://ifixit.org/blog/16189/about-our-galaxy-fold-teardown/

iFixit’s response
After two days of intense public interest, iFixit has removed our teardown of Samsung’s Galaxy Fold. That analysis supported our suspicions that the device provided insufficient protection from debris damaging the screen.

We were provided our Galaxy Fold unit by a trusted partner. Samsung has requested, through that partner, that iFixit remove its teardown. We are under no obligation to remove our analysis, legal or otherwise. But out of respect for this partner, whom we consider an ally in making devices more repairable, we are choosing to withdraw our story until we can purchase a Galaxy Fold at retail.

Our team appreciated the chance to look inside this ambitious device. All new products face challenges—this one perhaps more than most. We’re grateful to have shared a glimpse of how Samsung’s engineers addressed some of those challenges, and we look forward to sharing more as soon as possible.

1 Like

Dang that really interesting shows how big the problem has grown to. Nice of ifixit to respect their wishes and take it down though

I don’t see what the big deal is. Apple has had a folding phone for years!

4 Likes

I’d agree that for every price there is a customer. I often do this math example:

Suppose if costs you $999 to manufacture a phone and you sell 1 million units at $1000. You made $1M profit.

Suppose instead you sold it for $2000 and only 1000 units got sold you still made $1M profit.

So the question is if your higher price puts off more customers than the profit you make. Our species history has consistently shown there is always someone stupid enough to do anything which can be imagined. So its quite possible that Samsung sell enough of this phone at $2000 to make a profit.

What this does is means those who pay for it, fund the research, and then a trickle down happens later.

By the way I got my $300 8.4" phone yesterday, working fine. It’s mostly for when I’m traveling away from home.

1 Like

Absolutely correct analysis…
Lot of high end companies rely on same business strategy
Low volume + High margins = High profits
Louboutin, Patek Philippe, Channel, so on…

I better wait a few years before I get one. It’s a nice concept, however they still have a lot of things to work out

1 Like

Oh come on, we can do better than that. :triumph:

It will take a few years to work out the kinks, they’ll be bending over backwards, they will not give up, they will not fold, they will not be inflexible, they will open up to new ideas, be big to admit errors and…

(help please)