Eufy is in trouble

Hello again, sadly I lost my account @Kopra_12.

But this topic is really important. Apparently eufy uploaded pictures to the cloud without users consent.
https://twitter.com/Paul_Reviews/status/1595793302565146626?s=20&t=7OCuQLoqqTa9ZRdCbMQyQw

I hear about it over at LTT’s WAN show: https://youtu.be/zYpyS2HaZHM?t=1636

Do you still trust Anker? LTT now wants to cancel their partnership with them.

4 Likes

It makes you wonder if they were doing that for the development of the homebase 3 software to give the their system faces to to become better at detecting them. (Could be wrong)

2 Likes

I was recommending Eufy to family and friends, but I probably am going to have to tell them to return their products. Luckily they have extended return policy from Best Buy.

In a last ditch effort to be “okay” with this sort of intrusion, I blocked the devices from accessing outside internet via my router. The app no longer works and the cameras are non-functional. Will try to set a schedule for the devices and see if they still record locally. Also will check if they continue to work with my NAS (which has push notifications so I can live without Eufy’s).

There is absolutely no need for internet for the app to manage the devices, it should just use the LAN. Don’t come at me with “but push notifications won’t work” Eufy; that’s a stupid weak response.

If the schedule and NAS does not work while blocking internet from the devices, they will become trash. Do better Eufy…

2 Likes

They’ll be ok

1 Like

I’ll just add this here like I did on the Eufy page, but this is far from surprising at all. They (Anker, Eufy, Soundcore) all utilize scripts on their website that capture every keystroke you do as soon as you hit the page. Not uncommon, but is not something the GDPR covers for with a blanket “Accept All Cookies”. For them to say that they are not capturing the photos and deleting them later and then going behind a clearly insecure backdoor to utilize/profit/update their software/etc/etc by using them. Clear violation of trust and I would not be surprised if this creates more questions into their practices.

1 Like

It’s not just thumbnails but the entire stream is accessible unencrypted. Eufy lied about the capabilities to The Verge about the story.

This is bad programming and management tried to cover it up.

I’ve been a user of Anker products for over a decade but I think we all over estimate how much of their products are designed in house. A lot of Anker’s reputation is built on purchased Amazon reviews. Lying about how the camera system works erode years trust. I would never buy a Eufy product going forward and will probably buy a competitor’s charger. Most likely their competitors chargers use the same parts as Anker.

1 Like

not buying from eufy, was going to buy whole house system.

It is really upsetting to see them doing that. Hopefully Anker/eufy has some kind of explanation. I saw a couple things about this as of late even including a bunch of other people I’m the comments of YouTube videos that deal with Anker products.

No eufy cameras here but still will use and buy Anker products

2 Likes

Thankfully “old Willy” (11S) is to stupid to do that.
But who knows, when I will find him one day connected to my WIFI I will fire him! :joy:

2 Likes

With Black Friday my wife decide to get a Eufy vacuum. I will have to program to not to go into my kids room as there is just too much legos and stuff to sweep up LOL

Wonder how many other cam companies have similar issues and are working to fix their systems as well.

1 Like

Oh Duane, there are many things to care about when using such a “Willy”.
eg. Cables, carpets and of course the LEGO.
I dont have experience with a mopper .
I dont trust these. :laughing:

So when you have any questions about such a “Willy” ask me.
( I am better, for sure, than the non existing support :rofl:)

My “old Willy” can not be programmed and that’s GOOD!
So I use a wooden slat I put at the door frame’s bottom to keep Willy out or in a room.
Works fine.

1 Like

Well wife got us one and her sister in law one. We have more hardwood and ours should be fine. Her sister do have some carpet in their house. I know it stated it can go on some carpet but I am figuring it would be the short weaved one and not the more loose carpet ( as I think that may get stuck )… I may have to see about a potential change or a switch a roo with my dads present and their… lol

I got a battery 2k Eufy doorbell during cyber week but have not installed it yet while I resolved some concerns including this one. It will face a public street so the main issue is learning my family’s faces. Some people actually want this so they only get alerted to strangers. I thought I could eliminate unauthorized clip sending in my router as it is easy to do, but I forgot about the possibility that my phone would/could also send the unencrypted, unauthorized clips and I do not know how to do this in my phone (Android app permissions do not have an option to turn off outgoing internet) . Also if the router blocks outgoing, or how I would get alerts except those over the local network if I turn off outgoing internet for this device in my router? So I’ll have to decide. To my knowledge there are no pix of me on the internet now or at least none that I allowed, but I am sure other companies (including security cams at B&M stores)or government organizations (MV registry, etc.) have them or have tried. Yup, it is 1984 and Big Brother is watching.

Here is a link to a thorough analysis video by “thehookup” on YouTube of how serious this is from a actual privacy standpoint versus an advertising/bad faith viewpoint.

1 Like

How incredibly scary

There are many more things, one doesnt even dream of.
All those “unsocial media” & of course Google are the worst.

giphy