Does anyone miss the Psion PDA from the 90s? - it may return!

I owned in the 90s the Psion 3, 3a, 3c and I really loved it, it fit in pocket and you could sit down and type notes or even walk with it and type with your two thumbs.

I ducked out of the Psion at the 5 as it was getting big, I went with a Refurbished Revo but then they moved from AA batteries to built-in batteries and that killed the product’s lifetime, also by then I was given a work laptop which could do so much and then get into Smartphones like the Treo 650 then Nexus, OnePlus. But I have some nostalgic memories.

Do you want a PDA back now in the 2018 era?

I am kinda doing similar with a 8" Android tablet and 8" BT keyboard so I can tap on screen keyboard when moving and use the keyboard when sat, it works well.

1 Like

I miss these and cannot wait for split screen phones to come back into mainstream. I like 1 product for everything so a split screen phone/tablet would work great for me…one for screen and another as keyboard.

I use to have a PD that used special disc, can’t remember what they were called, but it allowed you to expand its memory/software/and do more than one without and it helped me in school as well. That thing was awesome but fell to the wayside as support fizzled out

1 Like

I think there’s definitely a place for that form factor in the current market. But what I’d like to see is a device which is a phablet first, but with an attachable keyboard that turns it into something like a Psion. The trick is, the mechanism for attaching the keyboard must be sturdy and have a hinge, so you can snap the whole thing closed and keep the keyboard on semi-permanently if you want.

1 Like

I used to dream of owning one of them.

Now, your average £100 (GBP) smartphone does all that used to do. As phones for smarter n quicker, PDAs like that dropped off, esp with the likes of a Nokia communicator about. Now you get mini MS office Inc on my phone’s, calander n email in all smartphones, so why carry something that doesn’t sincronise with your handset, which does what the 2nd device does, but better).

So to go back in time and carry 2 things would get on my TTs! Even back when you got proper mobile access to the internet for the first time, I DIDN’T want 2 things (remember portable WiFi boxes) .

When I got.my first (and last) laptop, I did bring it to town a couple times, but couldn’t be arsed with carrying that thing about, just tongonin maccies for free WiFi.

Uneven have a 2nd wallet, So in the summer, I can condense to minimum crap! It’s a smaller wallet, with a coin section, that fits inside my “bum bag”, so I can keep bare necessities whilst in my shorts (cargo pant type shorts with the large pockets annoy me, cos if you use them pockets, it wobbles at the wrong place!).

If you want minimalism then get an Android Pay (now called Google Pay) watch you just place watch next to contactless pay til which I found ubiqitous in UK

So this depends if you work or not and how you consume media. If you’re working you are creating content, lots of it, large PPTX etc and so there’s a “bigger is better” and need for fast typing, which then goes opposite to what you said of minimalist, ideally just with your pockets or bumbag (Yanks call fannypack)

I’ve got one of these in my draw at work. I haven’t used it in 15 years or so but really don’t want to throw it out lol

Then i thought i was the mutts nuts when Nokia came out with this bad boy. Loved the built in flip keyboard so much. Although, i may have looked like a nob (idiot) to other normal folk :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah I know, I just chose not to go there! lol

It’s not so much minimalism, but not wanting to carry more than I NEED to.

1 Like

Try saying you’re nipping out for a fag in San Francisco and you’ll get a wry smile.:blush:

Chip butty anyone?

2 Likes

Love a chip butty. Loads of butter though :thumbsup:

1 Like

Yeah, I know.

Or saying you live in a flat, gets them confused too!

1 Like

Spare tire in the boot.

Pop the bonnet to check the engine.

Yorkshire: getting a sarnie for me sen luv.

The dual screen Axon M that just released pretty does this. Fiddled with on for a little, its not bad, but a ton of moving parts and extra pieces to break.

1 Like

Our loverly country of ours, does have some cracking colloquialisms (had to look up spelling lol)

Yet, it’s not just a straight, north/south divide either.

That keyboard is awesome! I miss the days when companies were willing to try some more wild designs.

1 Like

This was when phones were getting smaller.

This was the smallest phone I had. Loved this so much and think I had my first smart phone after this one

2 Likes

A friend bought one of those. He got fed up of it being so small, and was one of the few that didn’t play up.

So he MICROWAVED it, and guess what… Nothing, absolutely NOTHING. HAHAHAHA

in the end he dunked it n dried it out… Back before they could really tell.

He got a different phone in the end. lol

His face is the old moto star tac, where as I had a few, but between the 8110 (matrix phone) 7610 and the Ericsson K750I were prob my top 3

1 Like

My first phone was a small Nokia 8210 I really liked it! The snake game was awesome :smiley:

1 Like

I was rockin’ the Palm m100 back in the day. It worked great, but I’m very happy that our cell phones and PDAs are combined today.

2 Likes

Thinks… have something like that in a draw somewhere… digs around

1 Like

I miss my old Nokia phones. It was the best phone brand, and we were just so proud to own a Nokia phone :joy:

2 Likes