Can i charge a powercore speed 20000 PD with a 45W usb-c charger

Hello,

I bought a powercore speed 20000 PD and i want to charge it in 4 hours. Since it didn’t come with a charger i am looking around to buy one that can achieve the fastest charging time. The charger i’m looking at can reach 20V-2.25A which is more than the powercore can take. Will this damage the powercore or does it have protection for this and thus will lower the current sufficiently until it can charge at 20V-1.5A?

Short: Will i damage the powercore when i feed it with too much Watts?

Thanks!

2 Likes

It has protection. :wink:

Is the charger your looking at buying Anker Brand? If not, I would highly recommend it. All of there chargers use there proprietary “IQ” software. So basically the chargers allow the max ammount of power, for the quickest charge into the accessory you want to charge, without allowing too much power.

Let me know what you decide to do!

Thanks for the reply! I’d love to buy one from anker but here in Belgium it’s not possible to buy a european style charger with that amount of Watt. Only the powerport ii and older versions are available. :frowning:

1 Like

Or do you think the powerport 5+ is sufficient to reach the 4 hours charging time?

1 Like

The PowerCore Speed 20000 PD can accept the following inputs, one of which is 20V. While I don’t know the exact charger you’re looking at, most PD-certified chargers should match up the 20V and drop down to 1.5A.

PD Input: 5V=3A, 9V=3A, 15V=2A, 20V=1.5A

1 Like

Mostly everything nowadays has protection against max power…

With USB charging the power sink (in this case your power bank) dictates how much current (amps) are used from the power source (wall charger). The device draws power from the charger, the charger does not push power. How much current depends on the charge state. The power bank at 0% will draw close to 1.5A. After 80% it’ll be less than 1A. And finally 0A (while maintaining a connection) when fully charged.

The only thing you need to be sure of is that the charger operates at the same voltage level as the device. The Anker power bank you have supports 30W input using 5-20V. Any good 45W USB-C charger also supports 5-20V. And from the info above the extra current isn’t an issue.

Oke thanks! The charger i’m looking at is this one: https://www.deltaco.eu/en/products/deltaco/electrical-appliances/chargers/wall-chargers/generic/USBC-AC127

But i also own a ravpower 6 port charging thing which should output 12V-2A but that also took 20 hours to charge it.

In most modern battery packs there are protection built-in so you cannot damage them with using charger capable to provide more power.
Battery pack will choose the best power it can use.

Nice specs there @TechnicallyWell :thumbsup:

I think that should work