California power outage

steal

3 Likes

The poor guy depicted in the pic appears to have a headache…I would think this would be the last of one’s worries in that kind of situation.

Franz’s revenge should be at the top of his list…

2 Likes

Hope our friends in CA (California) are doing fine :worried:

1 Like

Remorses!!! But to o late!
The well known “sword of Damokles” is hanging over him! :joy:

1 Like

We have all manner of stuff to deal with here in CA (SoCal in my case).
If we have wet Winters, we then have lots of plant/tree overgrowth in the Spring and Summer. Summer and Fall then come with the fire dangers because of this overgrowth which then can burn in wildfire situations. Now with the overgrowth destroyed by the wildfires, you have barren land which can be the cause of flooding when starts to rain again…

And that’s not taking into consideration the constant threat of earthquakes…:expressionless:

3 Likes

We did experience weak aftershock yesterday evening. The magnitude 3.4 magnitude quake hit the area around 7:15 p.m.

1 Like

I see we fall into this vicious cycle of constant nature destruction and construction.

Little worried as I see more of these now. It may be a hint.

2 Likes

It is often scary as fault lines pass through the region, more of these impacts are expected…

IT’s not all doom and gloom in California

It is after all cheap to live.
No traffic

It’s sunny

1 Like

I did my own investigations. I was a resident of California for 11 years.

I sold up and left 3 months ago.

The issue has been last decades of an earthquake drought, where the historical geological history average has not occurred. The best theory I saw was the San Francisco 1906 quake was particularly “good” at slipping a long distance and so drained the fault stress, and its been building since.

California doesn’t have the worse problem, as it has in relatively recent memory the experience of bad quakes, that has meant no URM (unreinforced masonry) buildings. it is the states to the north which has a subduction zone (all those volcanoes) which when slips causes Tsunami. It is more overdue than the slip faults of California. The discovery of the PNW geological history is post much of the building. So the states of Oregon and Washington will suffer the most physical harm to humans as drowning and being crushed in collapsed buildings.

The people of California will be physically fine in comparison, it is very hard to harm humans in slip fault quakes , little Tsunami risk, in single story wood or reinforced concrete steel buildings, it is the economic harm where people have a large investment in property which becomes damaged. Very few have the insurance to rebuild. If you happen to have at the same time an economic shock then combined produces an financial shock more than the physical.

I’m out of it now.

1 Like

California is launching the nation’s first statewide earthquake early warning system.

Here’s how it will work: Ground motion sensors across the state will detect earthquakes before people can feel them, and then a notification will go out so Californians can be prepared. The system launches on the 30th anniversary of the Loma Prieta earthquake, a 6.9-magnitude quake that hit the central coast of the state in 1989 and killed 63 people.

Information from CNN, glad something is being done after these quakes

2 Likes

I remember only once there was an earthquake which could be really felt here in München.
This was this horrible, heavy one our italian neighbours had to suffer from.
Was in 1976 : Friaul.

I remember something was heavy shaking in my tiny student “kemenate”.
Whow, uiuiui to many beers, i thought. :joy:

The speaker in the local news at the radio stopped and was sluttering.
So I took a look out of my window and there was a shaking poster in
the display window of a shop at the other side of the street.

This time serious: No shake, rattle & roll!

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial Good time to promote your power banks and the PowerHouse in that state

1976, I was 1 year old… :baby:t2:

1 Like

Lol… I wasn’t even born :laughing:

2 Likes

Hopefully all the Californians put UPS on their modem, router, wifi and all items are battery operated. Right, you did right?

It is crazy hot… and an outage already, all air conditioners are running full speed…

The statewide electrical power grid operator is calling for rotating Power Outages to last approximately 1 hour in duration, through 11:00 PM tonight.

As of 1957 hours, The California Independent System Operator (ISO) is declaring a Stage 3 Electrical Emergency due to high heat and increased electricity demand. The emergency initiates rotating outages throughout the state.

I worked with the power industry over a decade ago. There was a vision of SmartMeter and smart power grid where smart power devices could be sent instructions to more granular power off less essential items.

e.g. a smart freezer could be told to turn itself off for an hour rather than cut power to whole property.

I see it never happened. The SmartMeter moved a vision of control to just billing. Smart products never happened.

I got so fed up with PGE outages I ended up with a 24 hour UPS on my core network and phased out non-battery PC, put a flashlight everywhere and those stick-on motion-sensing lights everywhere, got separate fridge-freezer and freezer.

A lot of Anker got bought due to PGE not spending instead.

As to heat, where you live in east bay, yes it is a problem, the alternative is to live right by the coast, e.g. Half Moon Bay, and the sea is your local free air-con, aka called open the window pointing upwind to get the temperature required.

Hasn’t Cali always been hot @Shenoy
Has some sneaky hotness creapt in and caught supplier’s by surprise? :grin:
We can create an international space station but we can’t get electric to work on a hot day.

How do People in other parts of the world (Libya, Saudi etc) deal with this? Do they suffer the same fate or use local diesel generators etc?

Depends where you live. California is huge and reaches right into desert and mountains.

If you live very close to the Pacific most times it is cold air battling with strong sun and you’re controling climate by the gap in the window from the wind apart from a few weeks a year when the wind off the continent wins over the sea breeze.

In the San Francisco bay area you have the city which is usually cool as by the sea, to it’s South is the Peninsula which is the best climate. To the east you get less and less sea cooling and gets hotter and hotter. The property is cheaper the further east.

As a result, most properties in the Peninsula don’t have air conditioning as they don’t need it 95% of the time but AC is more prevalent east bay and other further inland like South bay. Most people are not near the sea so most people have AC in California.

LA is hotter. San Diego is cooler.

In England the equivalent to the California coast is Yorkshire (Whitby… Bridlington, Scarborough…) As when the heat is building it’s jumping over from the continent so as the North Sea widens further north you get less heating. Where you are in Norfolk there’s less cooling effect and you have to go to the beach for the day for free air conditioning.

As to solutions globally, you find people living in caves, underground, having basements for summer, water fountains, white painted buildings, but yes lots of AC and generators.

There’s oodles of places utterly depending on AC, USA has cities like Las Vegas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, New York.