Best Desk Set Up

School’s in here in Colorado and my own job continues down the track as we head into cooler, shorter days.

All of that is to say that I’m spending more time at my desk, and I bet you are, too.

I think a lot about organizing my desk and workspace for maximum efficiency, which translates into low clutter for me. A clean workspace is impossible for me to maintain, but tidying up regularly and reorganizing occasionally helps keep me on track with all the business of life.

I mentioned months ago that I had acquired the Anker 675 Charging Dock. I still love it, though I do wish the power button was on the front or the right side and not the left side. (My desk is oriented to the left, so I can’t see easily see that it’s powered and I often forget to turn it off.)

So, in the spirit of spending more time work or in school or doing both, I’m sharing a blog here that might help you. The Essential Guide to a Productive, Minimalist Desk Setup.

And yes, eagle eye, I’m sharing this from my personal account. Kinda sorta on purpose:)

5 Likes

My desk at work is always a mess. Even when I get it completely cleaned, it takes mere hours for it to return to a giant mess. The Anker 637 has been a huge help in getting some things under control. Especially all the little things that people bring me that need charging or worked on and require power. I love the fact that I can pop my phone onto it and let it charge, while also staying at an angle that allows me to view messages and respond. As for the rest of the mess… does Anker sell shredders and trash compactors?! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Its often a question of space.
In the university I had a room of my own.
I used two huge writing desks so I could organize all perfectly.

Now retired at home I still have a huge writing desk 220cm X 70cm though I use only a laptop
I try to keep all things tidy n well organized.

Its a question of discipline and organisation. but helps one to safe time a lot. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’ve found that if I’ve got a dirty desk I have to get it cleaned ASAP. I know the “Getting Things Done” methodology isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but it goes hand in hand for me. Also, anything paper related immediately gets:

1. Filed, Scanned, or both
  2. Thrown away or shredded

Small whiteboards can be your friend if you are a visual thinker like myself; otherwise I just collect paper :frowning: .

Charging docks and getting laptops/monitors off the desk itself (monitor arms and stands) makes a huge difference too. Anyway, its a never ending battle!

1 Like

That’s what I call discipline.
Safes such a lot of time : seeking things hidden somewhere.

Never forget when getting old, one even forgets where those “could” be stored!

How is this disease called : “Alzinger, Alzmeier or Alzhuber”
The only thing I remember it was a German physician in 1906 who made the first description. :grin:

1 Like

For me the most important thing is a standing desk having the head looking exactly straight forward, the keyboard/mouse at elbow height.

Posture is critical to long term health. Chairs kill!

Once I started work from home within a week I was getting back pain looking down at a screen, so ordered a standing desk and the pain was gone shortly afterwards.

To give the eyes a rest I picked a part of home where I could see to the outside horizon, next to a window so went for an electric standing desk and programed the work higher level and non work lower level so it’s back to hip height when I “clock off”.

I don’t need a dock, I have a work laptop, plug in wireless keyboard mouse dongle and a HDMI monitor and to the side personal laptop. To keep the main screen at eye height I have screen on a plinth, underneath is my bits’n’bobs. I can get by with a 60cm X 100cm desk.

I’m working with a virtual desktop solution to eventually not need a work laptop.

My personal laptop is a home 13" Chromebook and a travel 11" Chromebook.

There’s plenty of Anker at my home desk. I use an upright Anker wireless charger to see my phone, and my screen and evaporative cooler is off an Anker dual port wall charger. My travel charger is a folding pins Anker charger.

1 Like

Bowing over over a laptop for hours will kill your back.

i created a kind of rack for the laptop so the screen is in the height of my eyes.The keyboard is an external one, the mouse is ergonomic.
And my Flares (stereo mode) are positioned in the level of my ears
in front of me building a triangle with my head-

And of course one never should forget to make the fonts of the screen visible for the eyes. :joy:

1 Like

Overall the docking station is a nice little product…

If you think about it, the doctor raise the laptop to eye level and could help reduce neck strain when looking at the monitor.

My otger favorite would out of the zone for spills of liquids.

You all here working with computers a lot,
should extremely care about eyes, back, hands elbows an belly of course.
(“brain” is not much important. It will be soon replaced by AI . :grin:)

Please never forget. : TAKE breaks , stand up, do a walk, do a talk.

I am now working with computers ca 45 years.
So this could be a “wise” advice from an old man.

1 Like

I have faced this thing and also suffered from dry eyes. Eventually had to reduce screen time to get back to normal. Adding to Franz @Chiquinho By the way anker should make laptop stands(Adjustable). That would be more convinient to the users.

1 Like

I built such a stand by own.
A little bit of sawing, thrilling and glueing.
Perfectl

And another trick :
If one gets pain in the wrist/elbow of the “mouse arm”
one should change to the other arm,
It takes a little bit of time but it worked for me.

1 Like

That ‘time’ depends on willpower I guess. I tried such a thing… not to change the arm but thought I will write with both my hands one day. But that could not be possible yet :crossed_fingers::grin:
You should share image of your hand made stand. Pretty interesting to see and learn…@chiquinho

1 Like

It looks not very profesional.
I usually try to create things with “onboard resources” and I am not a skilled carpenter.:grin:

Writing is much more difficult than to use a mouse.

1 Like

Thats why you are a resource person. With lots of experience of doing things!

2 Likes

I am not a messie (compulsive hoarder :grinning:)
but because I have space in the basement I can keep a lot of things in there.
And if there is something missing I can ask my neighbors who have a lot of things too.

e.g. When they installed a new thermal solar system
(The old one got defective after 20 years of use)
the installers often used my private workshop and my tools.

Of course perfectly tidy and cleared there .:grin:

With added advantage if you spill a drink the laptop is up above and out of it.

1 Like

Franz has shown image before. By the window , Flare Mini each side and his usual monkeys.

Visual memory is better than the Search. Can see it but not find it.

4 Likes

Normally eating and drinking is strictly forbidden.
But there is no one here at home who controls
and only skilled and clever beer drinkers like me are allowed- :grin:)

I never spilled something over the separate keyboard.
And if I would : 1 Euro for another at the flea market.

One of the famous monkeys is trying to get in contact with someone
I found last saturday at the flea market.:joy:

नमस्ते, आप कैसे हैं

1 Like

Haha! If Anker were serious about clean desks … they’d sell a eufy desk mop product HAHA

1 Like

I would absolutely never drink beer at work … unless I was directed to do so. Occasionally … I AM! SO I DO! Cheers, Franz!