Back Country Power Pack Recommendation

I need to purchase a power pack for an upcoming trip backpacking trip. I will be needing it to charge my phone and headphones. Potential contact with water is possible. Faster than normal charging would be a plus. I do not want it to be bigger than a Galaxy S8, but it can be wider, of course. Recommendations?

2 Likes

If you want faster than normal charging, you should get a battery with a usb-c charging port, and get a USB-C to USB-C charging cord for quick charging.

1 Like

Can I get specific recommendations please? There are just so many…

I would suggest a Anker PowerCore+ 26800 (older or newer model with PD) then pair with a Anker PowerPort Solar (21W Dual-Port USB Solar Charger) to recharge offgrid.

1 Like

The larger PowerCore are on the heavy side. How long are you going be off grid? How much are you going to be on your phone? If you need a lot of power I would recommend the 26800 with Power Delivery as @Matthew_Wright1 suggested. If you need less power I would go with the PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C. It usually gets me through a weekend without power and I’ve used it in my hiking gear and didn’t notice much of a difference.

2 Likes

I agree you should also have a power charging source like solar - if not a short trip where you think you’re departure charge will be enough to last.
Can’t say anything about Anker solar panels since I don’t have, but I do have a few GoalZero panels that have lasted me years through repeated use and abuse (they also have great customer service). That said, here’s a video review of a comparison between GoalZero and Anker panels - mind you they are vastly different in capacity so I’d check it out based mainly for durability/practical use.
If you are backpacking for an extended time (to merit panels that can recharge your battery pack), it could also be helpful to gauge the size of the open panels vs your pack and make sure there are copious connection/mounting points to secure the open panel against your pack (to harness sun power while hiking).

1 Like

When it comes to back country camping I like to also pair with USB solar lighting so I prefer the larger battery pack. Even when weight is one of the biggest factor I remind myself of safety precautions of lighting.

2 Likes

Not only are there USB powered lights, but anything that uses AA or AAA shouldn’t be dismissed/forgotten since there are battery chargers for rechargeable AA/AAA that can be used on the go (with USB input if not direct connect to a panel source). Though USB lights can be “lighter” :grin:

1 Like

I agree, I got a couple of solar chargers but I normally use them when camping. They work great, but not so well attached to my bag while hiking. I also try and match my battery pack needs to the needs of the trip. I have bad knees and feet so weight is a big factor for me. Plus I tend to drink a lot of water on my hikes.

1 Like

Another camping tip I have is to bring a small usb fan (flex stick kind) and connect to Anker Powercore to get better ventilation on those hot summer nights.

1 Like

That’s the plan for my next trip. We have several trips planned for this spring and summer and plan to take advantage of off grid power.

1 Like

So with the Anker PowerCore+ 26800, will it natively support charging of the S10 when released later this month?