Anker USB 3.0 Hub Issue with Win 10 Anniversary Update

Hi

I was going to call Anker tomorrow but I came across this forum so I was wondering if anyone could please advise as my USB 3.0 Docking Station has stopped working after the Win 10 Anniversary update. The drivers wont load instead referring me to a page explaining that the current driver doesn’t work with the latest version of windows and that I should contact the manufacturer, see the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10581/windows-10-app-not-work

I can get the product to work with the dual monitors by using the generic displaylink new win 10 driver but I cant get any of the usb or other ports to work. Is there a driver update in the pipeline?

Thanks Richie

1 Like

Are the drivers not installed or are they installed but are reporting a problem? Posting a screen shot of device manager and/or event log errors relating to it will help.
There have been a lot of problems reported in WIndows 10 Anniversary update to do with USB ports no longer working, so it may be to do with that, rather than a specific Anker driver.

For example - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-mtp-not-working-driver-not-installing/489637e3-9795-494f-a014-3976d36f051f

2 Likes

Yep a screenshot would be better for diagnosing. From the link you have posted it looks like Windows 10 has blocked your app (or driver) because it has determined it is not fully compatible. As Arwen has mentioned there have been numerous issues with Windows 10 drivers (right back to Windows 8.1 for some users and products) so it might not fully be Anker

Hi Thanks for the responses and help. I heard that there were a lot of issues with Win 10 drivers. The thing is if I plug any of the USB peripherals directly into my laptop they all work. The peripherals all fail if I try to plug them in via the hub :frowning2: For example my Logitech web cam works fine if I plug it into my laptop so do all of my USB drives. This issue only surfaced after the upgrade to Win 10 Anniversary.

I have attached a screenshot of the current driver used, any help would be greatly appreciated as Anker products usually are the best!

Cheers Richie

Hi Richie,
There appears to be a newer driver here www.displaylink.com/downloads/windows

According to the notes it should fix the issues with the windows update.

1 Like

Arwens suggestion is certainly worth a look into. We’ve had a number of issues with display link drivers at my workplace under Windows 7 which are often resolved with DisplayLink updates.

I found the solution using the current Anker driver as its another default Windows 10 security issue due to the hidden administrator account :slight_smile:

Here are a few simple steps to bypass or circumvent the “protection error” in Windows 10, after enabling the hidden Administrator account:

Step 1: Launch Start Menu, search and select Command Prompt. Then right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Step 2: Type the following command without quotes at the Command Prompt and then hit Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

You should see the message saying “command completed successfully”.

Step 3: Launch Start Menu once again and right-click on user-account title at the top-left of the screen. Then click Sign-out.

Step 4: At the login screen, log into the Administrator account and you will return to the Desktop of that user profile.

Step 5: Locate and run the .exe file for the program which you want to install.

Step 6: As you have already logged into the Administrator account, the Smartscreen protection will be disabled and the installation should complete successfully.

Step 7: After you have completed the installation, just log back into your regular account after logging out of the Admin account.

Step 8: Finally, disable the Administrator account that was used earlier to prevent malicious access to your system files from external sources like hackers and cyber-criminals.

Just execute the following command (without quotes) to accomplish this feat from Command Prompt: “net user administrator /active:no”.

Interesting. I’ve been using my Anker USB 3.0 Hub with the Anniversary Update for months without a problem.