Anker Roav Bolt: We Love Testing Review

This is a my experience configuring and using the Anker Roav Bolt assistant in my car, after couple days of use, this is the whole experience with the product. Take a seat.

The Package

As always, Anker deliver the product in a box that is well presented, polished and colored to make you feel you are purchasing a product of superior quality (that is the truth by the way).

This box is made to make you feel great about the new product.

What’s inside?

Inside you will find:

• An auxiliar 3.5mm cable for conecting your assistant to your car if needed
  • The Roav Bolt device
  • Quick user guide

The setting up process…

Well, you know, when you purchase a new gadget you expect the setup process to be easy, smooth, with this is the same. But first you need to make sure:

• You have an internet connection
  • Your car supports Bluetooth
  • Your smartphone can run the Google Assistant app (Android or iOS)

Despite I have iOS as my main device, I was skeptical on if my process will be smooth since you know: Google for the Androids. But it did not disappointed me.

When connected my device it quickly started to update the device:

After the update the setup process guided me step by step, it also connects you by 2 different Bluetooth connections depending on the audio capabilities:

Then finally the setup ended as expected:

Making some use:

• I asked to call my wife (success)
  • I asked to take me home (opened the google maps app with the route to my house and started navigate)
  • I asked about the weather (told me it will rain and the temperature)
  • And the most important thing (which is the main reason I use this device) is that I asked to play some music without touching the cellphone:

You just need to say “Ok, Google” or in my case “Hey Google”

It’s a charger!

Wait, for a moment I was forgetting the fact that the device is an USB charger! Yes, it perfectly couples with my previous use for the cigarette socket: Charging my phone. The Power IQ and fast charge technology allows your cellphone to get 100% quickly. It works smooth!

What I don’t like

This is not a complaint about the Roav Bolt, is more to the google assistant and the application integration, since I use iOS as my main device, sometimes I need to open manually the application to ask the assistant to launch it in the future, or when I get into my car I need to have the assistant app in background or launched to the device work. I tested it using an Android and the experience is far different, with Android the things are better a looooooot way to much.

Don’t know if in the future Anker launch a device that works with Apple’s Siri or something like that, but it would be great.

Overall rate

I’ll try to make justice here, and will divide my rate as follows:

7/10 for the Assistant application with iOS
9/10 for the Assistant using Android
9/10 for the device (the hardware)
Well thank you for reading, that’s all, stay tuned.

Message to Anker: Keep investing and researching in things like this, we love to have new technology in our cars.

7 Likes

Solid review. I can’t say my experience with the bolt was quite so smooth :confused:. I’m gonna do some final testing tonight, and then leave a review today or tomorrow

Thanks for the honest review,

I strongly feel more user / beta testing should have been done for Roav Bolt, especially for the iOS version. There are too many issues to list, the main pain points are Delays in responses and random issues when the iPhone does not detect the Bolt at all.

I can’t even get it to work :flushed:!! I can’t get it to open maps, or google maps, or Apple Music. It’s supposed to be able to do all those things…

Just go ahead and send it to me and I’ll test it out for you. :grin:

More of a delay than usual from Google Assistant or consistent with delay seen on iOS and Android?

Delay as observed with Google Assistant mostly with Bolt as relaying agent on iOS. Android users have not complained much per the details shared on the community

A good informative review you wrote.
Perfect.

This may occur when the assistant app doesn’t work or hasn’t been launched yet. But like I said, in Android is other story completely different.

There were prominent delays with the app launched and in the foreground for iOS