Anker PowerPort Atom PD 2 Review

I was fortunate enough to receive a PowerPort Atom PD II through Anker’s We Love Testing program.

I’ve posted the full review on my websites:

Edit: The initial review stated the Atom PD 2 supported the Nintendo Switch dock. This is incorrect, and is from an earlier draft before testing was completed. The Nintendo Switch dock won’t draw power from this charger under any conditions. It does charge a handheld Nintendo Switch as fast as any other charger. The misprint has been corrected. My apologizes for any confusion.

It’s a dual USB-C charger. With 60W output with a single connection. And two 30W outputs with dual connections. It is best for those with an assortment of USB-C devices. Charge your phone and tablet, or tablet and Nintendo Switch, or phone and laptop. It is less ideal for powering two large USB-C devices together. Though it is better than other options on the market.

The power split between ports is not flexible. Each port has a fixed 30W limit, regardless of how little power the other port is drawing. I share test results in the reviews which show this in action.

If you only have one USB-C device just wait. More devices will continue to move to USB-C.

If you have any questions about the charger or review let me know. Thanks!

18 Likes

From his review:

“Connecting a second USB-C cable without a device does not trigger the output change. So you could leave two cables connected. But if you connect a USB-C to Lightning cable it will. Even without an iPhone on the other end. The USB-C to Lightning cable itself initiates power negotiations with USB-C chargers.”

Now, this is interesting.

@AnkerOfficial, @AnkerTechnical - possible software bug that can be fixed in future versions?

5 Likes

Nice review :ok_hand:

2 Likes

It isn’t an issue with the Anker charger. It is the nature of USB-C to Lightning cables. I can replicate it using a different Anker charger. As well as an AUKEY and RAVPower USB-C PD charger. It occurs with both an Apple and Anker USB-C to Lightning cable. But doesn’t happen with an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable.

With single port chargers it isn’t a concern. A 5V/0A connection is established and just sits there. The same happens with the Atom PD 2. The difference being that triggers the Atom PD 2 to split its output.

3 Likes

Nice review! What software are you using to test the current. I know you get USB testers with a LED screen and was thinking about getting one of these for testing but I like the idea of using the computer log the results.

1 Like

I’m using software that was included with the power meters I use as a free download (Windows only).

Power-Z KM001 is my primary power meter. Its software is the black and grey screenshots. It has few instructions in English and the software tends to keep defaulting back into Chinese. Watch some videos of it in use and do some learning by doing yourself. I plan to write up a reviewer how to with it at some point in the future. It connects to the PC via a micro-USB cable. I believe all of Power-Z’s newer power meters work with the same software.

MakerHawk USB Multimeter Tester is my secondary power meter. Its software is the blue screenshots. I keep it around for dual chargers. And because it works with USB-C w/o Power Delivery, while the Power-Z does not. I got the model with Bluetooth. A little Bluetooth chip plugs into it via a micro-USB port. I also got USB Bluetooth adapter for my desktop and a micro-USB extension cable for the power meter. Without the extension cable it was difficult to plug into some chargers and keep Bluetooth going.

This was the first time I’ve run both meters and both applications are the same time. It worked out quite well.

1 Like

Great review!

1 Like

Great in-depth review on your usbcurrent website :thumbsup::thumbsup: and the picture were very informative as well

1 Like

yeah that is really interesting wonder how that happens. great review regardless

1 Like

Excellent review & observations @queuebitt thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

1 Like

Great review! Thanks for the recommendation of waiting. I only have one usb-c device at the moment. Well actually two but its my daughters MacBook Pro, she won’t let me touch the laptop

2 Likes

With USB-C on most every new Android phone, the iPad Pro, and most new laptops it is only a matter of time. The iPhone going USB-C will be the next big push. There are e-readers and electric toothbrushes coming out with USB-C!

Nice review :thumbsup:
I remember someone mentioned that even if a wire is attached to second PD port without an actual device connected it still only lets the other port draw 30 watt.

1 Like

I tested for that. If you connect a USB-C to Lightning cable then the other port goes to 30W. Even if an iPhone isn’t connected to the cable. But that is only with the Lightning cable, and those cables do that with any USB-C charger. When I connected an Anker USB-C to USB-C cable it didn’t establish a connection. And the other port maintained 60W output.

So you can leave USB-C cables connected. But not a Lightning cable.

1 Like

That is a great observation. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

@queuebitt would you recommend buying this charger at full price?

thanks for sharing

1 Like

That depends, what devices do you want to use it with?

Loved the review! Really descriptive and honest, and the added photos were really useful. Thanks for submitting this to the community!

1 Like

Great review, like both your website!

1 Like