Anker Everfrost 40 stopped cooling after update

Hello together,
I got my Everfrost 40 today and tried to test it today. Everything worked just fine till i saw there is an update. So i updated from V1.0.1 to v2.2.3
The Everfrost restarted and since then there is „F1“ shown on the display and it stopped cooling. The vents still turnung but no cooling. It sounds like it tries to start something inside. (Fans starts 3-4 times) but then „F1“ comes on. Tried with the powerline only. Tried to let it powerless for some hours but nothing changes.

2 Likes

Not many Everfrost owners here and you stated you just got a firmware update and you may be a very early user.

I’d rapidly email support@anker.com and tell them.

It maybe they pull the update or do another update rapidly.

2 Likes

Th device is relatively new on the market,
so there are not many forumners here who own such one.

Best is to contact the support.
Good luck

2 Likes

I agree with the email to Anker.

You can also join https://www.facebook.com/groups/ankereverfrostusersgroup

This is probably a better place for peer support of the Everfrost.

I do not think that is a good code based on the Facebook group but Anker support is a good start.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your Answers. Of course the first thing i did was writing the support :wink:
I also know its a very new product. I tried to inform others to maybe not upgrade the firmware because there is a chance of loosing the functionality of the product. Maybe this is the wrong section to post this :confused:
And im not into social media… so no FB Groups or else…

Im more like a forums user.

If i get a solution for the Problem, i will share it with you guys

Greetings Flo

2 Likes

No, no.
We are always glad to know about all these issues.
And if you get an answer from the support and probably a solution ( downgrade?)
please let us know,
Thank you.

1 Like

The F1 error code means that the compressor is short circuited or there is bad communication. Seeing as the problem started right after the update it’s my feeling that it’s a communication issue caused by the new firmware. You might be able to reset the cooler by taking the battery out overnight and charging it separately but will most likely need a replacement.

1 Like

So you mean that the firmwareupdate killed the everfrost? (Or the Pump)
I understand a little bit of tec myself but how should a firmwareupgrade create a shortcuircuit? If so, this topic is much more critical than i thought. And mor people should know about this. So if there is someone in this FB Group should inform others to NOT upgrade FW!

And just fyi: no answer from support till now

I know a lot about upgrades.
Often such upgrades can create severe errors.
A good example is the “world famous MS” :innocent:
Of course such an update creates not a “real physical short circuit.”
It simulates one and the cooler stops working.

You should ask the support for a link to do a downgrade
to the last version which had been working.

by the way did you try to do this update again.
May be something went wrong when downloading.
This happens from time to time.

I dont know how to upgrade or downgrade it. I did it from my mobile phone. Download looked ok and after the download it installed it (while the everfrost was cooling) then it made a reboot and since then it doesnt work. When i look in the FW Upgrade Tab in the App it says. „You have the latest FW Version installed“

Ok thanks for the clarification with the simulated SC.

Of course you don’t know how to downgrade. :relaxed:
When connecting to the app you get the “newest” version of the software for a device.
And as far I see this “upgrade” was successful.- > You have the newest" version…:".

OK, so it seems there is a fatal error regarding this “upgrade”.
I don’t know this device and if there is a possibility to reset.
A hard reset is to remove the battery and wait for 60 sec and mount it again.
Have you tried that?

Yes. Several times. I waited some hours. Then first tried it with the hardwire (without the battery) same result
Then with the battery, same result.
Since there are only 4 buttons, i figured out how to reset it by holding „up“ and „down“ for 5 seconds, same result.
I think i have to wait for a fixed „upgrade“ :expressionless:
Or some fix or solution from support.

Thank for trying to help me. :heart:

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what Jesse meant, it meant the firmware update just left it confused and a reset after an upgrade is suggested. Or at least try that idea before an RMA.

Aside: this is why buying a product as soon as available incurs more risk, there’s more bugs you the first owners find and fix, including the effort to return units.

I know the “early adoptor” hype promotion encourages early procurement but everyone should expect to be made to put in more effort than if bought a year later.

Plus what you’re going to do when the next Everfrost which fixes the issues the users found then come out?

V1 = what the engineer thinks we’ll want.
V2 = the fixes after the early adopters used it
V3 = the fixes after general community ownership.

Hm. I don´t really know what to answer on this one?
I ask questions and i have only a narrow set of ideas how to understand the problem or to find a solution. By asking and listening to ideas of other people, my pool of ideas grow by learning from you guys, because you´re may be seeing things from other perspectives.

I never complained about the Everfrost. I´m NOT thinking about a RMA!
I am very aware of the risks of buying products early. (i got my 3D printer from Kickstarter, My Coffeemachine… And much more)
I am a guy that is very Solution oriented an not sending things back in the first 10 minutes they dont work.

If there were no people who find such bugs or errors, how could them ever get better? Or even see the light of been made?

I never got “hyped” for the Everfrost. I have an Anker Powerstation with 2 Solar Panels and tought that the Everfrost is a good idea and a clever device. (and i needed a mobile cooler for a vacation in august)

The only thing i expect from a product that it works as intended.
And in this case, i have only a big box that initially worked and after a function (update) that is proposed by the manufacturer, it doesent anymore.

And what i gonna do when there will be a newer, better version of the everfrost that is flawless?
The same thing i do with my smartphones. I use them as long as they work or there are such extreme major improvements that it maybe makes sense to upgrade. (in the smartphone case, this doesnt happend since 5 years ;-))

I am very sorry. But i cant explain why your post makes me try to justify myself.
Or i dont understand what you meant?!

I just searched for help and tried to inform of the problem.

1 Like

I just upgraded my 30 L cooler to firmware version 1.2.5, And within half an hour, it began clicking erratically. The temperature is rising, and it does not appear to be cooling anymore. Prior to this, it had been running for weeks without issue. I followed all the instructions in the update, including the one to not have it plugged in while it was updating. The updated appeared to work. It does not currently show the F1 error.

You could try to reset and to do the update again.