Anker Bolder LC40 LED Flashlight [2 PACK] - Review

Amazon Link to the Product

@AnkerOfficial

After much deliberation between LC90, LC40 and LC30, I recently purchased this Twin pack of Anker Bolder LC40. I already had 2x LC40’s from before it was renamed Bolder. I have not seen any change to the product except the Bolder LC40 logo. It is the same great flashlight…:+1:

Reason to choose LC40: I chose LC40 over LC90 and LC30 because it has less modes (High, Low and Strobe) than LC90 and can use 18650 Li-ion that LC30 cannot. I have a ton of Li-ion batteries and chargers so rechargeability is of no interest to me. Plus my previous 2 years excellent experience with LC40 played a big role in my decision. Also, these have glass lens :slight_smile:

Product packaging and Unboxing: Item comes in 100% recyclable paper box (white/blue). Inside there is a Happy/Unhappy card, 2x flashlights and 2x lanyards. No batteries are included.

Technical Details (copied from Amazon)

Part Number AK-848061064285
Item Weight 2.56 ounces
Product Dimensions 5.2 x 2.5 x 1.2 inches
Item model number AK-E1421011
Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required.
Style 2 pack
Power Source Battery
Item Package Quantity 1
Type of Bulb led
Luminous Flux 400 lm
Batteries Included? No
Batteries Required? No - - This is incorrect :rofl:
Battery Cell Type Alkaline

Using 18650 cell and performance:
These flashlights are meant to use 3xAAA Alkaline batteries (holder is included) but you can also use rechargeable 18650 (just remove the AAA holder) and it works awesome. I suggest using unprotected cells (protected cells are 5 mm longer and will fit a little tight in these). Panasonic NCR18650B (3400mAh) and Sony US18650VTC5 (2600mAh) are great options.
Performance wise these are amazing flashlight. Please note that there is no adjustable focus on these. If adjustable focus is your requirement then go with LC90.
These flashlights are built like a tank and my earlier 2 year old flashlights are exactly like the new ones in cosmetic condition (no scratches or paint chips).
On/off switch is very reliable and there is no chance to accidentally turn it on. It also remembers the last mode.
If I missed something??? just ask…
This is a flashlight and it’s damn awesome and super bright :+1:

8 Likes

Nice review!!

Good catch there :clap:

Batteries Required? No - - This is incorrect :rofl:
Battery Cell Type Alkaline

Anker should definitely include batteries now that Anker has its own brand of batteries which gives additional advertisement for new venture.

5 Likes

Although protected cells are a tighter fit they are also the better option in my opinion BC they cut off power at a certain point to avoid damage to the battery. lithium cells are unable to be recharged once they dip below a certain voltage. protected cells will cut off power when the voltage is low. Unprotected cells are damaged and unable to be recharged if their voltage drops too low.

1 Like

You are 100% Correct. For inexperienced users that is a good strategy and highly recommended.
Please note that I’m a battery scientist and I know when to recharge so I can easily use unprotected cells :slight_smile:

On that note here is a tip, with normal use you cannot damage an unprotected 18650 because once the voltage drops below 3.2V or 3.3V it will just drop like crazy and your flashlight will no longer operate indicating that its time to recharge the battery. In this case the load is big enough that your battery will not fully drain. Once the voltage goes below 3V the internal resistance of cell get high enough to not support large current draw.

4 Likes

Looks portable and small ,Thanks For Share!

1 Like

Good to know :slightly_smiling_face: I had assumed the 400 lumen LED did not draw enough current to trigger internal resistance and that the battery would continue to drain as the light got dimmer and dimmer.

I have a ton of flashlights and use both protected and unprotected cells I’m always cautious of running unprotected cells down too far though. I guess I needn’t worry so much when using unprotected cells. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Awesome review and great pictures. Very detailed info.
Outstanding review there @kumar.sachin :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial

Did you read this comment.

Stuff that uses “normal batteries” should come with Anker batteries.

1 Like

Nice review! I recently lost my Anker light and I miss it. This 2 pack looks like a great deal.

1 Like

Great review and photos! :ok_hand:t3: