Anker A1230 not compatible with iphone X according to Apple support?

Hi,

My battery has been performing badly these last few months. So today I visited Apple Store in Singapore to consult with the tech support. He said there are many factors causing battery to perform poorly. He then asked what my power bank I use. I showed him mine (Anker A1230 Powercore II 10000), then he said that this was not the right power bank for iphone X, because the voltage is too high.

Is this true? I’m pretty sure he’s wrong though, because I’ve searched the reviews of this product and many are from iphone owners. Also I think that latest iphones can handle up to 20 volts?

While I think the apple tech guy might be wrong, at the same time I felt since using my anker powerbank (3 days ago), my battery drops even more significant than usual. 100% at night before I went to sleep, and could be 60% in the morning.

Is there any relation between anker power bank and iphone battery dropping? My current battery health (in iphone setting) is at 84%.

1 Like

The PowerCore II 10000 would be fine for your iPhone. Although it is capable of voltages higher than 5V, it would only go higher than 5V if the phone requests it (thanks to PowerIQ).

Instead, you might want to look at any apps you may have installed recently and see if they’re running in the background. Going to Settings > Battery should show you which apps are using the most battery life.

3 Likes

You should be fine using the Powercore II 10000 with your iPhone, as the PowerCore will only output the maximum of which your iPhone X can draw.

As for your battery dropping by such a large amount overnight, I would be looking more towards apps utilizing your battery…

1 Like

I concur with the group so far. Your power bank will only offer 5V to the iPhone. The iPhone doesn’t support tech that makes use of PowerIQ 2.0, so higher voltages won’t come into play. Even if they did your iPhone can support (through USB Power Delivery) 5V, 9V, 12V, and 15V. Too much voltage fries devices, it doesn’t weaken batteries. Both Apple and Anker include protections to prevent the worst from happening.

As has been suggested check your battery settings. See what apps are using what. See what the health percentage is. If health is low (closer to 50% than not) then a replacement battery may be in order. Do some searching on what you find. Then maybe go back and see if you can talk to another tech with more data to offer.

Don’t harsh on the Apple tech. One, batteries and charging at a technical level is hard. Most computer and phone techs aren’t as up to speed on that as what they specialize in. Two, it is standard operating procedure for a lot of hardware companies is to blame a third party product when there’s a problem. It instantly shifts blame and responsibility.

Haha, Apple geniuses are not too smart after all.
Its amusing that people with zero knowledge about batteries are considered experts

2 Likes

I dont think you would ever see it as low as 50%. I have had my iPhone 8s plus since near launch and with heavy use it is at 87%. Even now there is a noticeable decrease in battery life but the cutoff for a replacement is 80%.