An interesting use for a projector!

A friend of mine asked to borrow my Nebula Mars II a couple of weeks ago, which I gladly obliged. Only I thought he would use it for, well, watching stuff. He probably did, but when he returned the Mars he said he was “almost finished” with the true intention of the loan. He said he was painting a wall in his apartment.

And why would he need a projector to paint a wall, you might ask? I did, and he told me he was plotting one of his artworks into a wall, using the projector to trace. A couple of years ago he made a series of illustrations for a dance congress here in Montréal, and I always told his it was so good one could just frame it and hang it in a wall. He did that, here are the posters:

And, well, he is now painting it on one of his walls - or two, I hadn’t the chance to see it live yet. But I can already tell it will look amazing.

Come to think of it, it’s a pretty straightforward use for a projector, but it never occurred me - maybe because while I find wall art pretty, I most likely wouldn’t have one in my home, I’m more of a basic shapes and colours around the house person.

Someone asked in the forum last week if anyone used a Nebula Capsule for a business presentation. Now we have at least one person who used it for art!

20 Likes

Clever…and a quick solution compared to blowing up the original image for a hard copy tracing… :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Wow, never though this type of usage, it made me think what else I can use it for… :thinking:

2 Likes

That is very clever! I’m sure the fictional TV Macgyver would approve of this ingenious use of the projector. :wink::smiley:

1 Like

Indeed an interesting use. Was it intended for display for a short time or longer duration, and is there any impact on the Nebula Mars II

1 Like

Haha, that’s a brilliant idea. Tell him I said he’s a genius :joy:

1 Like

Back when I was a teaching, one of my friends used her projector (although one of the OLD projectors where you placed a transparent sheet on the glass, etc etc) to trace a design on the wall, then she painted it in. I had forgotten about that until seeing this post!

1 Like

Great use of the projector, my sister often does this when she gets inspiration to paint. She will start in a small canvas and work her way to a decent sized room

1 Like

Nice one!!

1 Like

This kid of projection was used in elder times as well :
Pantograph.
But this is better! :grin:

1 Like

That’s an interesting way to use a projector smart none the less

1 Like

My best use so far is run coloured animations for a disco light for parties! YouTube has loads of cool options

1 Like

I’ve seen people do this for murals before, great idea

1 Like

That’s actually a great idea! Props to your friend :+1:

1 Like

That is an awesome use and great looking paintings!
@cshenoy That is a great question. Will there be burn images if a single image is displayed for a while on the Nebula?

2 Likes

My instincts are saying yes there will be burn in in the projector also on the wall.

2 Likes

So cool! Artists are genuinely creative:)

1 Like

From my understanding, since it’s a DLP projector, there’s no risk of burn in. LCD projectors might experience it, but in modern LCD screens it takes a long time - like, an really long time - for that to happen.

Anyway, no burn in on my Mars II, I’ve checked. Even if my friend held on to the projector for little more than a week, I believe the tracing took no longer than a couple dozen minutes, the rest of the time it was either idle or Netflixing…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Still, if I would go to have it projecting a still image for a long period of time, I would be sure to include some breaks just to be safe.

1 Like

Never heard that expression… what’s it mean?

1 Like

Props=respect

3 Likes