A little bit more propaganda for an ANKER product

After talking about the EUFY LUMI, we could talk about an ANKER product which is not so well known.
The ANKER torches / flashlights
( I remember there was a funny discussion about torches and/or flashlights between
members from UK and US)

I use the LC40 since many years.
A great torch/flashlight.
Small and light weighted and really strong.
Of course rechargeable
I really can recommend.:grin:.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I used the LC40 as my duty flashlight (torch) for years. Very useful!

2 Likes

I’ve considered these; anyone seen any useful reviews on these? I have two streamlight flashlights that I’m looking to replace soon.

2 Likes

I wrote, I use the LC40 for many years now, never any problems.

There is one thing to mention, I forgot , sorry t: This LC40 can not be focussed.
But for my areas of application (flea market) its more than perfect!
Light weighted and really small.

2 Likes

I have two LC90s. My only gripe is that they use mini usb, but that is a product of when they were designed.

2 Likes

The old story with those mini usb. :grinning:
Black sockets, black plugs. Always fumbling!
I marked the upper side of the sockets and the plugs.
Helps a lot!

1 Like

Ditto. I have all 3 of those and the original LC40 (which could operate off 3 AAA or a 18650).

I have an original LC40 by front door, another original LC40 by side door, and the newer LC40 and LC90 at back door, two LC130 in front and back living rooms, and newer LC40 in each bedroom hung on bedpost.

All these lights work on their ends pointed to ceiling to light up large rooms. The living rooms being largest I have the largest LC130 in those.

The Eufy motion lights are in hallways and bathrooms, so with the above my whole house has battery lights. The motion-sensing lights are not a good idea in places you spend time (bedrooms, living rooms) as they come as you move. That’s where these flashlights work best you turn them on if electricity out while at home.

One of the LC90’s buttons broke and one of LC40 bulb broke so I have the remaining parts as spares e.g. if my one working LC90 bulb’s broke I could swap the working button to the other.

This is one reason I don’t buy 1 of anything, stick with 2 of 3 of same model so can swap parts, you end up with more working items longer, if you observe I’ve got 6 year old Anker flashlights still in use.

Original (lower) vs successor (upper) LC40:

Original LC40, successor LC40, LC90 and LC130:

These being 4 of the 8 in active use.

My fave depends on my clothing, if in a full coat I’d take the LC90 as I can adjust the beam’s width, or in smaller jacket or backpack the successor LC40 just for portability and I can recharge it from a Powercore if needed.

The Original LC40 you had to remove 18650 and recharge, the successor has a USB socket to recharge. As such the original LC40 I just keep in the house to add static lights to illuminate rooms, and I keep average 50 AAA in (buy a 90 pack every decade) to operate the original LC40 as the Plan B.

I can cope without electricity for a couple of weeks, so covering the more common worse-case scenarios. So an 8 hour more likely outage is an absolute doddle.

I have around 600Wh of Powercore. I deliberately avoided Powerhouse as I prefer portability and diversity to handle more situations and we consume in winter 100Wh of power (phones, flashlights) so a week is easy, if it’s becoming 2 weeks then ration ourselves. I also have 2 solar panels ( one Anker 21W and a Choetech 19W) which if sunny during a protracted outage I can be recharging things - and then recharge these flashlights - to stretch towards a couple of weeks.

Check Anker’s inflation :hot_face:

image image

1 Like

Prepper?:rofl:
We know you as a minimalist.

1 Like

No not a prepper just for example when I bought majority of these flashlights I was getting an 8-12 hour outage every winter, so nudged towards owning this collection.

I also got these:

I pair these with the Powercore for a backup flashlight, I measured their consumption around 1 Watt meaning they last longer than the Anker flashlights

This Powercore is still working!

And so would be in effect a bulky flashlight with probably 70 hours of light.

This is one of the many reasons I avoided a Powerhouse. What to do when it fails? When it’s out of warranty? Buy another? The multiple Powercore approach you have far more long-term benefits.

15 years ago I was using a PC and a UPS to handle power outages, but nudged towards laptops / tablets and Powercore, works out more flexible and lower cost long-term.

1 Like

Hope there will be no outage caused of those weird “green plans” here in DE.
But that policy.
Shhht :shushing_face:
I didn’t write "sh*t,! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Germany isn’t as bad some other countries but yes I’m expecting increasing frequency of longer outages for many of us.

Flashlights are a good answer if you’re not alone as you can direct the beam away from other’s eyes.

If you are alone in a home a headtorch is best as then you’ve got light everywhere you’re looking for just the cost of that one headorch.

In a typical multi-persons home situation sharing with others the Eufy stick-on lights in moving areas and flashlights in living areas which aren’t pointing to anyone’s eyes is the best setup.

1 Like

I don’t have the LC40 but have both the two cell version of the LC90 and the one pictured along with the small pen Bolder version as well. It would be nice for a ubc c version as an upgrade since many things are headed that way but they all have a nice length of time between needing to be charged. I have them scattered everywhere since sometimes the lights go out and in the past it was for a few days.

1 Like

There’s 6 things all happening at once which will drive power outages:

• the move to EVs is doubling the typical household’s electricity needs. The local substations cannot cope, many are automatically shutting off to protect themselves from overheating. This is a huge decades-long process to upgrade substations but the “green” agenda is being banged on about so expect more outages. Note: I ride a bike so I’m not part of the problem.
  • the national power grid then is becoming overloaded, and the notion of windfarms means where the wind is (average further north) stresses the grid to where the consumption is (people living further south). I’m already seeing grid capacity issues.
  • the supply side is not well maintained. Older nuclear, older coal (with a constant pressure to not build new but decommission) and France’s nuclear and Norway’s hydro can be unreliable in droughts.
  • global warming (a fact) is causing more extreme weather (fact) with more droughts (impacts hydro, nuclear), more heatwaves where wires increasing resistance can cause wires to fail.
  • complexity. Complex systems can fail just because of a situation none thought of. Every new idea I hear of I think it adds complexity. “Unexpected” excuses incoming!
  • 2024 solar maximum risks a Carrington event recurrence.

If someone wanted to spend the least money for the max benefit then probably just two LC40 and a couple of Powercore would be a minimum outage safetynet.

Everything I’ve described is mostly temporary outages - a few hours to a couple of days. I’d not encourage to spent much $ on the risk as you’ll probably look back on a $1000 spend as a foolish decision. The biggest issue for anything lasting longer than a day is water which is easily and little/no cost solved.

1 Like