8-in-1 hub - cannot get my MBP to work at 1000T?

I cannot get higher Ethernet speeds out of my A8383 8-in-1 hub than 100TX. It’s plugged into a USB-C port on my MacBook Pro, connected via a Cat 6 cable to a Gig E hub, which is connected to the Cat 5E LAN. The Mac Studio connected to the same hub hits ~900Mbps as expected off the AT&T Fiber connection, but the MBP can only get ~90Mbps.

In the Network Control panel, the device (only thing plugged into the MBP, and the only thing plugged into the Anker is the ethernet) shows up as USB 10/100/1000 LAN. Under ‘Hardware’, speed shows as 100baseTX. I tried configuring it manually, but it seems to not change anything. I’ve also tried checking it in all four USB-C ports, to no avail. Finally, I returned it and got a new replacement, which exhibits exactly the same behavior.

What am I doing wrong?

So when configured manually in MacOS it says it’s set at 1gbps but you are only seeing speeds of 90mbps in reality?

Was the same Ethernet cable used on the Mac Studio to test?

I had actually never tried switching out the Cat 6 cable because it was brand new, but guess what - it was the cable! Thank you so much for the jog!

1 Like