Why I think a 100W Powercore 26800, 60W 20Ah and 30W 10Ah is coming June

Portable Chargers:

So the 60W portable charger was announced.

100W portable charger is perfectly possible.

But we the consumers must not be so finicky about the Watts. If we were willing to accept “up to” without feeling swindled then I can see a burst capability initially, while everything is cold, which then throttled down as the cells sensed getting hot.

Chargers:

There is no cost penalty in electronics for 100W, it costs the same as 60W. There is a penalty in size, as you need bigger heat dissipation, so 100W tends to be larger in size + weight which you’d struggle to keep in a wall socket. However if you let it burst to 100W briefly but if it got too hot it then went down to 60W, then you can get 100W in a wall charger.

That would suit our travel usage needs. As if your laptop is (nearly) empty and you need a quick recharge, you’d like 100W initially to get to say 20% charged quickly, to then see 60W to get you rest of the way to 80% charged, the laptop then will be protective of its own internal cell’s and be lowering the demand anyway.

Combined - 100W portable charger + 100W travel wall charger:

Together these are viable so long as we the consumers can tolerate the “up to” and not feel swindled if we got 60W after a few minutes.

A travel wall charger up to 100W which would give a quick charge to your 100W capable laptop, and then drop to 60W, you’d likely accept that.

A portable charger of up to 100W but also dropped to 60W, I think you’d accept that also.

You can always get sustained 100W from a larger charger when at home / office. There is no reason why these cannot exist today and be costing around $30-$40, just the big heat dissipation means you’d be less wanting to put in a travel bag.

Discuss.

2 Likes