Why I think a 100W Powercore 26800, 60W 20Ah and 30W 10Ah is coming June

This is how I’ve been operating the past month. Charging 2-3 minutes at a time. Ok, more like 5-10 minutes. 18W PD charging is a godsend.

1 Like

So imagine if in 2-3 mins you got actually 30W but the electronics when they sense getting too hot then sustained 18W later…

It matches how you operate. Matches how your phone and laptop operate. Heat pumps.

If I’m thinking it, someone deep inside Anker is already. What would need testing is the thermal throttle, so you in a lab take a high Wattage load and confirm the throttle does not melt charger, so lots of deep recharge cycles and crack open and look for melted contacts. I can see thermal throttling to take at least a month more testing. If Aukey shipping this week, Anker a month later…

That’s. Good bit of useful information there,

2 Likes

I can imagine that’s the future to have 100W Powercore

1 Like

So I have been doing some research on the electronics within a 100W PD Powercore.

It looks like it will have to ditch the Type A port as there’s a choice between tuning how the cells are wired to be best at say 20V or best at a lower voltage but not both. The more you get to 60W and above the more you really need to drop all the lower voltage modes and drop 5V altogether.

This may also explain a puzzle I have had with the 18W PD + 10W Powercore, they seem less efficient, like serving both 9V and 5V is a stress. The more they go up the bigger the stress. So they’d need to tune the Powercore 100W PD to be for say 20V and 15V and ditch 9V 5V.

1 Like

I hope Anker sells a 100 watt wall plug soon, everywhere else is so expensive

I dont follow, Anker is not the lowest cost brand.

I hate to break it to you @professor, but Anker is preparing to release a 60W version soon. Details to follow…

1 Like

20Ah?

The MOSFET efficiencies suggest the wider the voltage range the worse the efficiency of one or both. So as they get more into the 20V modes (required for laptops) the more they need to drop the Type A port.

Or in different words, 60W Powercore have to ditch the Type A port.

Example http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva390a/slva390a.pdf?&ts=1589322110680

1 Like

Larger :wink:

So a respin of the 45W 26800. It suffers from inefficiencies. A 26800 60W with a Type A port would deliver comparable energy to a 20Ah which drops Type A.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva535b/slva535b.pdf?&ts=1589322440429

This voltage difference, which lowers efficiency, is why Anker 9V + 5V Powercore output fewer Watts when you use both 5V and 9V ports. One port 18W, both ports combined 15W.

1 Like

95% efficient 100W PD does exist. This one $4/unit , so I don’t see a reason for a $99 100W charger from Anker…

Later today… :shushing_face:

1 Like

How do you know? They tell you directly or you subscribe to something?

My future looking glass is logic and electronics.

Released separate or in a bundle?

Last version released 7 months ago as bundle for $140

I think released with a bundle makes sense for those who choose to not think, prevent them getting no or incorrect charger, but there should also be a release without a charger so consumers have choice.

Cells choice:

• Anker traditionally used LG 18650 3350mAh cells, 8 of to get to 26800. These can discharge at upto 10A 3.7V so 30W per cell or 240W output over 8 is possible theoretically but heat would make you want to do much less. 100W is highly likely safe and reliable.
  • if they get custom Lithium Polymer cells made they can tune the shape for best thermal conductivity for more headroom than above.

Output Wattage.

• this is just a question of tuning. You can tune for 60W, 100W but you lose efficiency at other levels.
  • there is no inherent reason why 60W has to be difficult or expensive, what makes it challenging is if you allow for multiple ports and of you tune it for lower voltage and so it gets hotter for higher Voltage.
  • personally I’d ditch the Type A port and tune for 20V, it would last longer and be better high Wattage product.

Input Wattage

• personally I’d use a thermal feedback sensor so you let the cells tell you.
  • Anker never done this, so they test and find a consistent reliable charge rate and ship it as fixed.
  • Anker does safe and boring.
2 Likes

Nah, I’m just posting about it today.

How are you finding this out, Anker send it to you as an insider?

2 Likes

Same way I find out everything. Lots of searching.

1 Like

Ok.

I also search but obviously less good at it.

Anker is so far behind the competition is already discounting theirs they released earlier.

2 Likes

Portable Chargers:

So the 60W portable charger was announced.

100W portable charger is perfectly possible.

But we the consumers must not be so finicky about the Watts. If we were willing to accept “up to” without feeling swindled then I can see a burst capability initially, while everything is cold, which then throttled down as the cells sensed getting hot.

Chargers:

There is no cost penalty in electronics for 100W, it costs the same as 60W. There is a penalty in size, as you need bigger heat dissipation, so 100W tends to be larger in size + weight which you’d struggle to keep in a wall socket. However if you let it burst to 100W briefly but if it got too hot it then went down to 60W, then you can get 100W in a wall charger.

That would suit our travel usage needs. As if your laptop is (nearly) empty and you need a quick recharge, you’d like 100W initially to get to say 20% charged quickly, to then see 60W to get you rest of the way to 80% charged, the laptop then will be protective of its own internal cell’s and be lowering the demand anyway.

Combined - 100W portable charger + 100W travel wall charger:

Together these are viable so long as we the consumers can tolerate the “up to” and not feel swindled if we got 60W after a few minutes.

A travel wall charger up to 100W which would give a quick charge to your 100W capable laptop, and then drop to 60W, you’d likely accept that.

A portable charger of up to 100W but also dropped to 60W, I think you’d accept that also.

You can always get sustained 100W from a larger charger when at home / office. There is no reason why these cannot exist today and be costing around $30-$40, just the big heat dissipation means you’d be less wanting to put in a travel bag.

Discuss.

2 Likes