When to enable trickle charge mode? Powercore 10kPD

The new Powercore 10000PD has an interesting mode where if you hold the button on the battery it has one of the LEDs turn green to indicate trickle charging mode. When should or shouldn’t you use this mode? And if any of you guys know, what is trickle charge mode actually telling the Powerbank to do in terms of output power? Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Trickle charge mode is designed for use with devices which have a low power draw…like Anker earbuds…essentially when you enable trickle charge mode the powerbank knows to output a low charge from the port (for example under 0.5 amp) to the connected device to prevent the PowerCore turning off…

6 Likes

“Trickle charging means charging a fully charged battery at a rate equal to its self-discharge rate, thus enabling the battery to remain at its fully charged level”

~wikipedia

So I guess if you want your phone to stay fully charged you can plug it into the battery and turn it on trickle mode.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Like already said it is used for things with lower power draw like earbuds. Using this feature tends to help the battery last longer and keep its charge better

1 Like

As been said.

Some devices can’t take the full 15w etc (or whatever the output is of the powerbank) that the power bank gives out, so instead of giving full whack, trickle charge… Trickles a small charge instead.

1 Like

Trickle mode is also very useful in case the battery is totally empty.

That means: with trickle mode you might “revoke” deep discharged batteries.

Start to charge with trickle mode for some time (1 - 2 hours) then continue with normal charging.

I have an Anker PowerCore Essential 20000 PD that does the same thing.

I’ve read that you should trickle charge from 90%-100%

1 Like

I think this is the one I am getting here soon. Good to know it’s use more now than later. Plus when I think of trickle charge my first thought was it reminds what may happen to an old man. Lol. :wink:

1 Like

Literally all of the answers above here are completely incorrect. What trickle charge mode does is temporarily (for a few hours, according to reviews) disable the auto-shutoff of the power bank.

Power banks shut off automatically when the current being drawn from them gets small (say 50 milliamps). This is great because a power bank being on consumes energy from its internal battery, so you really only want it to be on when something’s actually charging. If there’s only a cable connected (a lot of cables have chips inside them, consuming energy) or a fully-charged device, there’s no point to the power bank being on and draining itself.

This creates a problem though when charging small devices like rechargeable earbuds. The problem being that the charging current these devices take is so small that the power bank thinks charging has finished, shutting itself off.

Putting the power bank into trickle charge mode temporarily disables the auto-off, so now you can actually charge your smart ring, earbuds or what have you, instead of only charging up to 80% or even refusing to charge at all.

1 Like