What is something you learned later in life, that you wish you had learned sooner?

What I’ve learned (and wish I would’ve learned earlier) is the power of asking questions (and, more importantly, listening to the answers).

When I meet someone new I ask questions until I find something we have in common. This is a great way to find the best in people and make genuine connections based on common interests.

Asking questions has made me more effective at work, because it helps me get to know my co-workers and how they operate, and get closer to the solutions to problems much quicker than I would if I were afraid of asking for help.

Life is so much more rewarding and gratifying when you take the time to learn about others, I think. You may also discover things you like, new hobbies, friends, and connections that you never would have found otherwise.

So don’t be afraid to share what you’ve learned with us! We’re open-minded!:grin:

7 Likes

I do that but I feel like the other person thinks I am intterogating them.

Probably how to study better, I can’t figure out how to sit there and do it, since I could just sit on this forum and read.

2 Likes

People never mean what they say :upside_down:

2 Likes

I wish I had taken the advice of my parents and gone to uni or done an apprenticeship. All I wanted to do was earn some money and I had a job waiting for me when I left school. £78 a week was a lot back in 1988 lol
Such a bad decision looking back. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy and I have a fab family and wouldn’t change anything now but could of maybe started my career off sooner and be in a better position today. As it is, our family works hard to achieve and succeed with what we do have :slight_smile: (and that is each other)

Plus I would have learnt SQL earlier because now I have to and it’s very different to how I normally report performance data in work. I think i’ve been spoilt in the past using drag and drop hahaha but hey ho. It won’t beat me and I will get there :confused:

6 Likes

I wish I had learned early on in life that time really does go by fast, just like my parents said it would. They always told me to never procrastinate in what I want to achieve and become in this life because before you know it life will be more than halfway done. Did I listen, no. Now I take it to heart :grin:

4 Likes

What I wish I would’ve learned earlier was that I don’t need two parents in my life. I have an all-in-one deal who’s the best.

1 Like

I wish when I was younger, before the internet was around that I would have read more books. (technical books) I am constantly on the internet doing research for something. When I was younger I was too lazy to go to the library to find the same knowledge that I am getting now. I also wish I would have attended all of my high school reunions as many of those people are who defined you as a person.

2 Likes

Ditto, even with subtle questions (as I would call passing the time conversation) I’ve often had a raised eyebrow :smile:

As for something learned that I wished I’d taken on-board sooner, probably not to take daily life so seriously. Life is on too short a clock already…

2 Likes

I wished I knew how not spending money earlier in life :grin:

3 Likes

I wish i had tried bettter in High school so I don’t have so much college debt.

3 Likes

I think that a lot of the time people and relationships are not valued enough. I always thought that I wanted to make it big, have enough money to buy whatever I wanted and live wherever I wanted. But now I am realizing that I am just content to have enough and be with the people I love, cheesy, but really true. Having enough to live feels perfect when you have people in your life who make everything special.

2 Likes

If you did better in HS you would have harder classes and thus more debt in college lol. Now if you want to hear about debt from classes I will enlighten you. Medical school costs a ton… :expressionless: But it will eventually pay off no matter the profession you enter! Knowledge is the key to everything great :grin:

1 Like

Wish I had learned to save my money and invest it early on, when I was 18 I made 110k that year and all I did was blow it on jewelry and on my friends. In hindsight I probably wouldn’t change anything except that I had money because now we live paycheck to paycheck, hence why I’m working two jobs so we can try and have a little extra here and there

1 Like

Should have bought an Anker product sooner. The quality is like nothing else on the market. Like the Bolder flashlights. When compared to the MagLites, Anker outshines.

1 Like

I wish I had learned just how much exercise improves my mood/mental health earlier in life. We’re always told how important exercise is for our physical health, but the benefits for our mental health are just as important.

4 Likes

I would say try and be less judgemental. Keep an open mind and try everything you can at least once.
The older I get, the more I’ve come to appreciate all the stuff I used to dismiss as weird or stupid.

I think the quote is “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

2 Likes

Self Confidence. I wish I had knew I was more powerful than I feel. If I am boxed into a problem I have to solve, the solution comes to me, but often I am looking for an expert, a person who has done this before and then follow their lead.

I am growing to learn I have more power than I knew I had and if I could teach a past self it would be to trust yourself and go for it, you are very unlikely to fail.

1 Like

Mental health is also kept sane with a good hobby :grin:

As my dad used to tell me and still to this day tells me, “If another person can do it so can you” And I truly take that to heart now that I am older. It is very true, we are all capable of acheiving our dreams, we just have to work for them. :relaxed:

2 Likes