USB-C to USB-C Video support?

Will any of the Anker USB-C to USB-C cables carry video or do I need the Thunderbolt cable?

My laptop has USB-C with Thunderbolt support.

I want to be able to plug into a QHD (2560x1440) monitor with USB-C support.

the Thunderbolt cable is quite short.

thanks

To my knowledge, Anker’s USB C to C cables can support any technology that your equipment can. I believe Anker’s USB C to C cables can do video, but don’t buy it until someone confirms or disproves my belief.

If the 19.7 inch Thunderbolt cable is too short these three foot cables are a good option not sure if all anker C-C cables will support video but I know these will.

the Anker PowerLine II USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable (3ft) Gen2 10Gbps $19.99 (this is the cable I would get)

Anker PowerLine USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 Cable (3ft) with Power Delivery Gen1 5Gbps $11.99

Your safest bet would be Anker’s Thunderbolt cable. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with @joshuad11 , your best bet would be to use the thunderbolt cable.

2 Likes

If I understood correctly, the USB-C always carry everything it can, hence some devices only having USB-C connections, for everything from data to power.

19" is just a bit too short. I will try the Anker PowerLine II USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable (3ft) and see what happens.

will be next month. right now in Yangon Myanmar and I saw and Anker store here!

2 Likes

This post explains the differences between cables and all you need to know about what will and won’t work. But in terms of data alone and power output, the thunderbolt 3.0 cable provides the fastest and highest power output… as for the length of some cables

2 Likes

Another great source of information on the whole USB-C mess: https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/usb-c-is-a-mess-how-to-navigate-it-1826978043

Apparently, I was dead wrong. USB-C is just the physical plug, not the cable technology and even less the socket capabilities. You can have an USB-C cable which can only do power, up to one that can do everything - but only if the device you are using it in has a socket which can also do everything.

Seems complicated.

Suddenly, I understand Apple’s choice of sticking with its lightning connector. Maybe they are waiting for the USB-C sockets and cables standardize in a way where you won’t have to think about it anymore - you’ll use the same cable for anything that can go through the socket.

1 Like

I got the PowerLine II USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable (3ft) and it works fine powering 2K monitor from the USB-C (Thunderbolt) port on laptop. thanks again

1 Like