UPDATED 21/05/2020 Anker Bolder LC30 Review

EDIT, after communication with Anker theybhave confirmed this torch IS NOT 18650 compatible!

Hey All :wave:t2:

Recently bought the Bolder LC30.

I have the LC40 (slightly larger) and for a brief period the LC90, so thought it would be good to compare.

Here’s a short review, but first…

Anker has a great community forum with regular reliable contributors who will lend a helping hand if you have any “real world” questions on products. It’s full of user reviews, product and new release information, product testing opportunities and a section to trade virtual “bucks” earned by forum participation for entries into the Power Draw giving you a chance to win some great prizes. Check it out here;

https://community.anker.com

Anker produces a few torches in various sizes, outputs and battery type so there’s one to suit your requirements.

Don’t believe me? Check out the link below and tell me in the comments what other brands offer that Anker doesn’t;

https://www.anker.com/products/174/183/led-flashlights

Onto the LC30…

Brief Spec,
The box says it all!

Unboxing,
Simple packaging in the brands blue and white packaging.
Torch bubble wrapped inside.

First Impressions,
Nice torch, feels a little short in the hand, quite light, wrist strap attachment but no strap included.

Setting Up,
3 x AAA or in the supplied.

In Use,
The on/off button has a nice solid click and is larger than the LC40, so feels better under your thumb.

It has multiple modes as most “tactical” torches do, High, Low and Strobe.
Full press on, half/light press takes you to the next mode, full press off.
The torch turns on in high mode.
The light is cool in temperature with a cream centre and has an even pattern.

The belt clip is slightly annoying as it just feels in the way and it doesn’t appear it’s detachable.
This is a fixed focus torch and has a good mix of focused spot and flood.

Indoors,
High,

Low,

Outdoors,
10mtr
High,

Low,

50mtr, i struggled to get a clear definition between the 2 modes at this difference. Low is slightly darker than shown in the picture.
High,

Low,

Battery life,
Well, if Ankers quoted times are anything to go by this will light your way for 4hrs in low mode using AAA batteries.
Currently I haven’t tested time to flat batteries.

Who Would Use This?
Anyone in need of a general day to day torch, a quick pop into the shed or leave in the car for emergencies.
With two brightness modes this torch will suit almost any user.

Pros,
Multiple brightness modes.
Looks good.
Lightweight.
Extremely good value for money.
Pocketable

Cons,
No wrist strap.
Wrist strap hole has rough edges and has half chewed through a standard wrist strap.
Belt clip not detachable.
No zoom focus.

Conclusion,
This a really capable torch and it’s just £10.
It ticks a whole load of boxes and has only minor faults.

So should you buy it? NO!

Well, the only reason you should buy the LC30 is if you need the ability to run on regular alkaline batteries.

This is an odd torch in the range. It’s size, weight, design and cost is so similar to the LC40, you should buy that!
Personally I think the LC30 really should have been a bit smaller and made a key ring torch (similar to the LED Lenser below) running a single AA or 14500 rechargeable.
That would have made it sit more logically and given it purpose in the range.

Below is the LC40, LED Lenser P3, LC30

Fancy a look at the LC40? Here’s a link to my review.

11 Likes

Thanks for the review. I liked how you are critical and the photos.

Reminds me of the original LC40 vs current LC40. The original with the AAA vs 18650 meant it was wider and as soon as the newer LC40 arrived it made the original a “why would you buy it?”.

Typed with an LC40 pointed up to ceiling as a cheerful cheap lamp, on an Anker keyboarded, two handed thanks to my Wolverine healing powers with 4 day since broken arm.

1 Like

Great review and very detailed @paulstevenewing
Call me weird but I’m one of those people who don’t have a need for a physical flashlight. I use the one on my phone quite often and while it’s very useful, I always have my phone on me, so for me this is probably an item I will never get :rofl:

4 Likes

Nice, detailed review @paulstevenewing :+1:

Like the Pros and cons detailed, I had couple of flashlights, one went bad, other one is good, which will last may be another couple of years!

3 Likes

Nice review Paul

1 Like

Depends where you live, how often you experience power outages and seasonal.

2 Likes

True, luckily that only happens once a year (if that).

1 Like

Great detailed review and photos! :clap::clap::clap: well done! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Good point there… I have about 3-4 of USB lights… Which i last used during power outages here in California… Simply plug it in the Anker PowerCore PB… It works like a charm, used it whole night for kids bedroom :+1:

image image

2 Likes

Great review! I’m glad that the LC30 eliminates the 5-mode cycle of the LC40. I hope we see an updated LC30 with a smaller size at some point, potentially a small keychain flashlight.

1 Like

Excellent review as usual!! :+1::+1:

Always love to see this part. :wink::wink:
Thank you for the very detailed review! @paulstevenewing

2 Likes

That was a lengthy and great review. Thanks.

1 Like

Wait, under cons it says No Wrist Strap, then it says Wrist Strap has rough edges…

1 Like

Right, let’s @paulstevenewing for this question :rofl:

1 Like

you are correct you should not buy that. You should buy its slightly tougher big brother…https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KH2W558/ref=emc_b_5_i I have had this flashlight for 5 years now and it has survived 3 adriondack camping trips, an night out in the rain/mud (oops), many hard drops, and boy if this thing still isn’t the brightest light I have seen in a long time. Those big Police flashlights are drowned out by this on High!. I like it so much I bought its “son” https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K27MCK/ref=emc_b_5_i to carry around and do more delicate things with. It is still very very bright, with 2 modes, Bright and a little less bright lol. So after reading your review I’m sad I couldn’t have recommended this earlier, but maybe you still want to look into it! Cheers!

1 Like

I probably wouldn’t buy any of these flashlights with my reliable

?

phone flashlight

on hand

3 Likes

Wow, didn’t expect to login to this response!
So thanks @professor @ikari04warrior @Shenoy @Momo_Bobo @Daiross @paperairplaneguru @AnkerOfficial @Brianna_Greene @Julien_Leenes

4 Likes

Hey @SlyBandit247 thanks for your reply too. @AnkerOfficial

So to answer your question;
“No wrist strap.”
“Wrist strap HOLE has rough edges.”

The wrist strap i used was from another torch.
I have some 2mm paracord so will make a strap with that.

1 Like

perfect Paul.
I like the photos with the different settings of the torch.

One of the cons is for me : not chargeable.

1 Like

Morning @Chiquinho
I would have liked to have seen a charging input like the LC40 as i don’t have a 18650 battery charger and would prefer to run rechargeables.
But i guess that would have taken it yet another step closer to the LC40.