Smart bulb hackers?!

Check this out…

Hackers could potentially steal sensitive information.

1 Like

Good thing I don’t have any smart bulbs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I only have LED dumb bulbs.
I wish the hackers all the best in trying to hack those! :rofl:
Unfortunately the world we live and work in opens us up to online vulnerabilities and it’s just something we accept for the sheer convenience of living an on demand everything at the click of a button life.

2 Likes

This is why you connect WiFi bulbs to your Guest WiFi and not the main network.

5 Likes

The “S” in IoT is for security…

Good article… this can happen / is possible with ANY Internet connected device, does not need to be a smart bulb… IoT devices are highly susceptible to hacking.

Smart Plugs, Smart Bulbs, Smart Assistants, Smart Phone, Dumb Us :wink:

2 Likes

We do the same. But didnt use guest. We get our new router I plan on doing that way.

We use a seperate network for our smart devices as well. This network has no access to our main network.

1 Like

Same here, our main router handles everything online while our secondary one handles the smart devices with limited outbound access

1 Like

All like minds, secondary router with DNS Controlled for outbound and limited bandwidth for all the IoT devices is what I use!

Great rest :+1:

Thanks for sharing !

Great idea hope that resolves some issues

How do you do that? Do you need to separate routers ?

Well it’s easier to use a separate guest network, almost every router has the option to allow guest access in the settings…and then you can limit outbound access.

Using a separate router like I do is a little bit harder

1 Like

Most wireles routers have a Guest network. Refer to the Manual to set it up and create a password for it. Have your bulbs and other smart devices to that.

1 Like

RoboVacs with WIFI !
(Willy has no.:joy:)

1 Like

sorry to say I no smart lights but my light bulb are bright though. lol.

I use such one in my cave.
Hope there is no WIFI-malware installed!

The heat generated from the torch is sufficient to drive away the hackers :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware but never used it. Will set it up this weekend and switch all my smart gadgets to Guest. I think I can have the wifi not broadcast the SSID.