Roav C1 dashcam (non pro) swap out by Anker for swelling issues

Roav C1 (non pro) swap by Anker:

We have recently learned that a small number of our early Roav DashCam products may be affected by extreme in-car temperatures causing the screen to pop out.

Please note: This is NOT a safety issue. It is normal for a battery to expand in higher temperatures which is why products are designed to accommodate what the industry refers to as “swelling.” In our earlier Roav Dashcam C1 products, there wasn’t enough room in the design to accommodate for extreme heat expansion causing the screen to bulge out. New versions have fixed this issue.

If you have one of our earlier versions of the Roav Dashcam C1, we are offering you two options:

1. Return the product and we will replace it with a new version. 
    2. Keep the product and we will extend the warranty of your product to a total of   
        24 months. You don’t have to do anything. If you ever have any issue, you can 
        simply reference your product's serial number. 

HOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER VERSION OF THE ROAV DASHCAM C1
On your DashCam, select Menu>About>SN to find the serial number. If the number matches one of the below formats, your DashCam is from the first batch and you can reply to this email to let us know if you’d like a replacement. If it isn’t, you’re good. Go back to enjoying your Roav DashCam experience!

B145BA1XXX
B205BA1XXX
B225BAAXXX
B236BA1XXX
B236BA2XXX
B256BAAXXX
B257BAAXXX
B276BAAXXX
B277BAAXXX
B295BABXXX
B296BABXXX

HOW TO RETURN YOUR ROAV DASHCAM
If your Roav Dashcam C1 is one of our earlier models, please reply to this email with your latest shipping address and the SN of your DashCam C1. We’ll confirm the information and send a new one to you as well as directions on how to return your current product to us.

ROAV is an ANKER company, and we pride ourselves on creating high-quality products. We apologize for any inconvenience this may caused.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly through this email.

Roav Customer Satisfaction Team

7 Likes

I got the same email this morning. Wonder if they will swapping them out with the C1 or C1 Pro.

3 Likes

Hint you want the Pro. Im sure they’d make it happen for the inconvenience :grin:

1 Like

Wait! Shouldn’t I be asking you? Since you are the genie that grants wishes? LOL. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No harm in asking! :smile:

pro is stopped too with the battery burning and screen popping issue like the C1.

Big fail to claim that it will withstand up to 149 heat when it can’t in 90f for few hrs each day for a month or two.

The solution is stop making cheap battery version. they should make capacitor version and will last very long in extreme tmep heat or freezing

So how do you explain Samsungs issue with exploding batteries? Im sure they werent using cheap batteries. Sometime heat destroys especially here in California. :expressionless: so to assume without proper background is a little harsh. Atleast Anker pulled the product immediately before an explosion? :joy:

1 Like

heavy usage batteries need cooling, my drills charger has an annoying fan. I suppose since samsungs were water resistant, it was also heat conserving.

@MsLovepeace12 There’s also such a thing as cheap capacitors. Any component, there’s always a “cheap” counterpart with misleading ratings.

Thanks for posting. Although I haven’t seen any issues so far (gifted to my Dad) the one I had is in the B145BA1XXX range but not had an email so far, maybe only US customers to date?

Hi I,m not to sure weather you can touch some thing with a temprature of 149 f but I live in the UK and and have had a C 1 for about 6 weeks and on sunny days it gets to hot to touch , is it safe to get this hot , and is there any danger of it catching fire .

1 Like

I sent my 2 back in and did request the pro version.

If you’re worried, use your windshield defroster fan on cool.
Batteries heat up when being charged or discharged… your cars battery gets to 122F on its own by being used…let alone engine heating it up or the sun. And so do lithium cells, as the OP states:

“It is normal for a battery to expand in higher temperatures which is why products are designed to accommodate what the industry refers to as “swelling.””

If ambient temperature was an issue, electric cars would be blowing up.

also, the description page of the C1 also states: “EXTREME TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE: Designed to continue operation in 19℉-149℉ and protect data in temperatures ranging from a freezing -20℉ to a blistering 160℉—just stick it in your car and forget it.”

1 Like

Make the casing a tad oversized and problem solved no more expanding battery issue, thats visible atleast. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anker roav dashcam can’t even survive 90F heat, misleading description. it burns, swells, screens comes off and now recalled and they want return! your ruined your reputation

do you read? battery dashcams are cheaper to make then capacitor ones is what i mean cos battery versions are usually temporary use cos they can’t survive extreme heat or cold for long. The roav dashcam didn’t survive 90f. ignore their claim of 149 heat. http://dashcameras.net/battery-vs-capacitor/

Is this what happened to yours? Do you have pics? Or are you going off what someone else said? It’s a shame that these things happened but I give props to @AnkerOfficial for sending out the emails and giving us options to either return our old unit for another or get an extended warranty.

1 Like

Just being anker fan boy? It is one thing to like some or many of their Anker products but another thing to just denying what has happened! Do you not read and follow the bouncing ball? No clue what you are talking about? You want me to spoon feed you? Go to amazon anker roav and read the updated reviews from those who used this battery opareted dashcams for at least 30 to 60 days and there you will find what happened to me or anyone else with the pictures. Glad I was able to educate you

Calm down. Obviously you’re on the side of superior capacitors and batteries are cheap because your vehicle is too hot. I merely gave my input. Most of the complaints were based on the issue OP stated, non were of them blowing up in their face.

People have it easy to point fingers, if their phone blows up from charging it under their pillow, its the company’s fault for being cheap. I’m certain that Anker takes their time to stress test their products, but putting a product outside leads to many variables…people could use a different charger, different memory card, car of a different color, people who don’t use their car’s AC, stick the camera on a slightly different position, etc.
Anker is the type to receive any feedback and do their best to fix it. What if you bought one off ebay that is “better” but ends up melting, you cant complain directly to the manufacture.

But please don’t come to the forum to call other users names or claim they’re illiterate.

Also the link you provided doesn’t state their sources of claims and scientific evidence on how capacitors surpass batteries. Am I supposed to believe them because their domain is “dashcameras.net”? I’m not calling them liars but I’m not calling them a reliable source either.

3 Likes

Yeah relax. Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion. If someone doesn’t agree with you it doesn’t mean you force links and facts down their throat or spoons :joy: just relax and let everyone speak, this is what a forum is for afterall. :blush:

3 Likes