Powerwave Sense Pad Alloy hits FCC

Not a whole lot of information. There’s plenty of info exists on the Powerwave Pad Alloy, but not the “sense” model.

There is the word “sense” in this which looks totally different and looking nothing like the sense hub announced.

On face of it is just just another wireless pad and the “sense” no hint what it means.

The test report says

Input: DC 9V/2A, DC 12V/1.5A, DC 15V/1.2A

Now that to me seems like a USB-C PD input? It was tested with a bundled charger. But the output is low

Wireless output: 11W Max

If it is a USBC PD input, this can be a way to get a portable wireless charger as you can use it with say a Powercore 10000 PD which has 18W output to get a 15W pad where the heat production from wireless is kept away from the cells. I wouldn’t see the point of that as the pad needs the cable and you’d might as well just plug the cable into the phone. Therefore it is probably just their first USBC PD input 15W pad.

It’s this just by a slightly different name?

What makes me think this is NOT USB-PD Type-C is the bundled charger used.

And if I search for A2013, sigh…

Now then, one possible way to interepret the “sense” is Anker merged in QC3 into IQ3, so it could be an 18W IQ3 which input which will take QC3 and PD 18W input?

It is for sure USB that is consistent and obvious

But I cannot see if USB-C. The charger implies not.

There is confidentiality (Anker does this often) til June 16th, so that is when we’d expect it is available for sale in USA.

1 Like

Looks like the back part/support folds down maybe?

The hub photo is from another thread, I was looking for similar product names before concluding a new thread. The FCC link is to a pad

If the Powerwave Sense Pad Alloy really had USB-C PD input - this would be my first choice to go wireless charging with my Powercore powerbanks

Thanks for sharing!

So that could mean an IQ3 18W input so it would work with any Anker 18W output anything, whether PD or QC3.

Reading this there is a primary and secondary coil, it literally says primary 11W, the secondary bumps it to 15W, so this is 15W pad with 18W input.

Therefore my best guess is this is the IQ3 input version of the Powerwave II pad. It is 15W output but not a DC 12 barrel input but USB input.

Very confusing… I guess the only difference between this and PowerWave Alloy Pad is the fact that this has an additional coil?

Not enough information to be clear.

When compare to the Pad Alloy, you’re correct, the Pad Alloy has 1 ring which is 15W, the Sense has 1 ring 11W and 2nd ring takes it to 15W.

Visually I’m not seeing a big difference. The Pad Alloy:

vs the Sense Pad Alloy.

You can see the one vs two rings, as the 2 vs 4 soldering of the 4 wires of 2 rings. That’s the only clear difference. So it will behave differently.

1 Like

So I assume it’s also larger but not a dual pad?

the Pad Alloy

The Sense Pad Alloy

They look about the same width to me.

1 Like

Looks about the same to me.

Just a shot in the wind, but maybe the sense has a wider area on which you can set your device, and have it still charge?

Without knowing all the details, it seems completely unnecessary to have both of these models.

1 Like

They look about the same size to me. The ruler is there in shot.

I owned a Choetech Qi pad once which had two rings, they claimed it was easier to place, I could not match that claim with ownership evidence.

They look too similar, yes, to have both.

If you count the parts and the solders, the Sense has more of both, it would be that fraction more expensive. They must be solving some compatibility problem.

The only advantage I can think theoretically of stacking a 4W ring ontop of a 11W ring is that 4W ring will allow you to support also a very small lower end recharging, like recharging Qi compatible buds case as the rings in those have to be smaller too. So you may get better range of wireless charging across a wider physical size of devices inclusive of smaller. But I feel I’m reaching and so easily totally wrong.

1 Like

Hard to keep up with all the names

I thought the base wireless charging speed was 5W.

It is. But a physically small wireless recharging device cannot ingest 5W, probably around 1W.

So imagine if you took the two pad phone+watch

And then stacked them one on top of another instead of side by side. You’d support a broader range of devices in one pad area. But I also feel I’m reaching.

I am curious if it has, or if not how it copes, with a fan. I can’t see one. As we’re seeing in other products, heat is a problem. If this is 15W, then how come no fan when say a 7.5W pad needs one.

You can see two coils on the Powerwave stand, that is so a phone in landscape low down and small devices like Airpod case has a coil central, and a phone in portrait mode higher up.

I am reading up on Qi standards, I can’t find anything around 11+4W two coils vs 1 15W coil, the only hint is that the Google Pixel 4 supports 11W.

So that implies:

• Apple and Samsung will get 10W
  • LG will get 15W by being presented combined 11+4W
  • Google will get 11W.

Hence in a single coil non-Sense, the LG would see 15W but a Pixel would see 10W. This sense model would have the LG still see 15W but a Pixel would see 11W.

So it’s faster across a range of phones.

That could be why Anker has asked for confidentiality until June, they figured out how to get a bit more Wattage into a broader range of phones. There is a cost if you count the solder spots and components. I wonder if the non-Sense 15W was giving a Pixel 5W, you can’t get all of these 4 brands to work off a single 15W coil at their fastest speed?

2 Likes

I can confirm that this model comes bundled with a Quick Charge charger.