PowerCore III 10K Wireless Power Bank Review | We Love Testing

To be fair it sounds worse when turning the volume up on the video.
I hear it at night as its about 1.5 feet away from my head on the bedside table.
But it removes the benefit of being able to use it as a regular wireless charger @ktkundy

As yours isn’t producing the same noise i guess mine could have production problems.

1 Like

I’ll try setting mine up as the desktop charger for wireless charging and see if I get that sound but in the testing I did nothing sounded like that. Hopefully there is an easy fix to your problem

1 Like

Mine will do it whether its connected to mains charger or not.
So that points to the wireless mechanism/coil creating some kind of vibration/pulsing.

That frequency sounds like it is vibrating from the DC-DC buck-boost converter electronics which are located near the USB socket. Can you tell where it is loudest?

It is also worth pointing out all electronics and all electrical things make a sound, but most of the time we can’t hear it.

2 Likes

Evening @professor
It’s tough to tell, but I think it’s loudest from the top - rubber ring.
When I flip it upside down it seems a little quieter.

A guy at work couldn’t hear it at all.
I played the recording to him at volume and he took another listen and was then able to pick it up.

It’s odd. I was at the point of ordering one from Amazon with a view of comparing but as @ktkundy says hers doesn’t make a sound I don’t think it’s worth it.

1 Like

So the Qi standard is at a frequency beyond human sensing, so the ring itself should not be audible, but the electronics which modify the voltage are within human hearing range.

Odd Anker, who knows how to make good Qi pads, have a problem in this.

If you pinch the stand, does it stop? My first thought was it was rattling… but the sound doesn’t appear to match that idea, it is more the electronics vibrating off the DC-DC buck-boost induction coil Anker usually places just behind the USB socket.

If you go into your phone settings and disable fast wireless charging does that have an affect?

2 Likes

So squeezing the unit nor changing the charge speed helps @professor

Playing with it tonight, it’s most noticeable at the port end, to the left of the USB A port.

2 Likes

It sounds exactly like a bad solder at the induction coil from the DC-DC buck boost end (just behind the USB sockets)

Solution: it’s working unit with a small manufacturing flaw. If you got one, chances are someone else will have too.

The best thing for Anker to do is send you another so your review is not “bad product” but just “dud unit, got replacement, works better” conclusion.

In stock they can get you a replacement come Saturday. Hint.

2 Likes

I think your conclusion above is correct @professor
It’s definitely the port end.

I tagged, technical and support out of interest to see if they have had other reports of this. But as you can see, no response, so far!

2 Likes

agreed I would say it’s more of a dud unit and I think that would be the source of the problem as well.
This is why you’re called the professor for sure.

2 Likes

Hope they answer soon definitely is something they should be aware of as production continues could end up leading to bad reviews from other people who arent as understanding

1 Like

Great hint @professor but is anyone :ear:t2:listening​:ear:t2:@AnkerOfficial

And sorry this discussion has aired on your post @ktkundy :upside_down_face:
If nothing else, it’s increasing your comment count :sunglasses:

1 Like

Let’s see @ktkundy
As you say, regulars here are understanding and especially as this is a testing unit.
Im pleased I can still test it and add value by writing a review.

1 Like

Great review!! Thanks especially for the photo of the built in stand. I think your photo is the first I’ve seen where I can see the stand clearly.

I’m gonna pass on buying this as I prefer wired to wireless, but maybe future versions will be more enticing. This is a good first effort by Anker.

2 Likes

Honestly don’t mind it on the thread since it is important discussion and it totally related and easier to keep track of than a billion new threads

3 Likes

Well done! Clean review with all of the information even the most detail oriented person may want.

1 Like