[Poll} Will iPhone 12 have USB-C? We're gonna guess no, but we really hope we're wrong

What do you guys think?

• iPhone 12 will have USB-C
  • iPhone 12 will have Lightning Port
  • Only Wireless charging (No Ports)

0 voters

2 Likes

Didn’t one of the leak photos a while ago a newer braided USB-C to lightning cable?

Seems weird (more like profitable for them) how they keep resisting the call to change the port…

Anything can happen and no guarantee that the leaks are legitimate :wink:

@Ice1 may be add the one more option there for Wireless charging, :+1:

1 Like

I think apple will lose a lot of money if they remove the lighting port. The lightning port is proprietary and apple already has so many lightning accessories. It will also be harder for them to stop 3rd party accesories. We all want them to get rid of lightning but they will probably do the something as last year, and include a USB-C to lightning charger.

1 Like

True but this is Apple we are talking about…look how long they kept the 30 pin variant around :laughing:

2 Likes

@Shenoy I guess we have to assume wireless charging has to be there as it’s predecessors :thinking:

1 Like

Meant it as “Does not matter, I am fine with Lightning /USB-C or No ports, I use only Wireless charging” :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tried to add, but doesn’t let me edit after 5 mins.

• iPhone 12 will have USB-C
  • iPhone 12 will have Lightning Port
  • Only Wireless charging (No Ports)

0 voters

1 Like

Might not happen immediately… But as a elite professional device

It’s a setting in discourse, perhaps just remove and re-add the poll?

2 Likes

Good idea, done that, you have to vote again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nice tip @ndalby

I think they will keep using the lightning port

They’ll have to eventually but you would think that would have leaked very clearly since they would be altering supply chains significantly. Maybe the exact specs wouldn’t be out but the switch surely would be.

As much as I want USB c everywhere it is going to be a sad day. For one I’ll need to figure out what to do with all the darn lightning cables. It will also likely be a similar situation as the 30 pin to lightning switch, hotel room clock radios will not be updated for about a decade. Not to mention I’ll need to keep lightning around for a good while because of my iPad Air (previous Gen). It would be incredible if Apple were to offer some innovative way of recycling the cables and let people send them in (I don’t think this is realistic unfortunately).

What do we do with all the quills and ink wells? I’ve just bought a new roll of blotting paper.

What will happen to the geese?

Apple just needs to ditch the proprietary port, it’s the history to create excuses to stick with the old when the newer better is proven.

But given the 20W charger, it looks like another year of newly improved Quills while Android gets on with 30W+ biro.

1 Like

50% votes for lightning port to be continued by Apple. Another year to wait for the upgrade then :wink:

If you hold the voltage and just increase current, power losses are significantly higher in lower quality cables. Those older cables are not going to do a new phone any favours.

One more year of blotting paper, I guess.

1 Like

Hmm, some very nice features in an all singing and all dancing iPhone…still with and 8 year old proprietary connector…damn dude :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Hey, old proprietary slower more expensive technology. USBC is 100W, Lightning… 18W. USBC is symmetric, Lightning isn’t. One USBC able can recharge a Powercore and recharge the phone, Lightning need two cables. Lightning is not to the wireless pad, so two cables types.

Get it right.

1 Like