POLL: Galaxy Z Flip vs. Motorola Razr: Spec comparison

Interesting video… Which one you like the most? or you rather stick to current non-foldable smart phone?

Let’s compare these two foldable phones side by side on everything from screen size to hinge mechanism to battery life.

• Galaxy Z Flip
  • Motorola Razr
  • Non-foldable Smart Phone

0 voters

2 Likes

Non-foldable all the way…even when they work out some better methods for the screen (minus the creasing :anguished:) :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, same with you… less machanical moving parts or less features = less failures :+1: and more reliable :ok_hand:
I believe @professor also agrees with my opinion :thinking:

1 Like

I would always go with a non-fold-able smartphone … why invest so much and get a product which is bound to get cracks / blown screen :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think phone designers lost the plot and trying to put too much into one device.

Typed on a $300 Huawei 8.4" LTE phone. It’s winter so I’m always with a coat with a pocket big enough.

3 Likes

it looks more of a tablet, is it not hard to hold it?

1 Like

So a tablet, with cellular :wink: :laughing:

If it works, it works :+1:

1 Like

I own a OnePlus6, this Huawei 8.4 and the Huawei 10.8, and move between them to fit the occasion, but I’m just illustrated you don’t need to make a fold out phone when there’s lower tech methods

1 Like

Definitely a non-foldable phone :+1:

If I were to start from scratch I’d buy an LTE MiFi battery router, unlimited SIM and only have different size WiFi devices. The monthly cost is lowest that way and it’s the monthly cost which stacks up.

But this 8.4 arose out of me wanting to travel on certain types of trips just with one device. I bought it in April.

Technically it is a phone, phone chipset, because many cellular services won’t let you put a phone SIM in a tablet chipset, and they charge more for tablets “data line”, this is the same chipset as in their regular sized phone but being less squished they can put in bigger battery and it works out cheaper.

This focus on squeeze as much into a phone size is very expensive and I think phones are good enough and silly expensive.

This 8.4 is paired with a Fossil Gen 5 smartwatch so if I can’t reach for and hold the tablet I just look at wrist.

1 Like

I’m currently in the Non folding camp.
Although i hope the development proves itself.
I love the larger screen phones but always go for smaller screens as i need it to sit comfortably in trouser/jeans pockets without the risk of snapping it every time i bend over etc - no jokes please :rofl:
So a folding phone ticks the boxes for me.

1 Like

I would still like to see a FoldGate (blunder) from Apple :rofl:

1 Like

No way I’m switching to foldable phones just yet

I don’t think Apple will jump the wagon yet to make a foldable phone… but who knows what they are thinking? :rofl: :rofl:
As @professor pointed out, the phone makers going the wrong direction right now :unamused:
I wish they do research on other types of tech instead of this type of non-useful designs

Looking at the Poll results so far, 7 out of 7 that voted didn’t like to go to any foldable phone yet.

Wonder what kind of data Samsung or Motorola had to go this route to spend time and money to re-invent a foldable phone? :thinking:

Or it’s just us the odd group of people that didn’t want to change with technology :rofl:

1 Like

If we build it they will come.
I guess there’s always gonna be a hard core of early adopters.
And as the Z Flip isn’t crazy money i think we will see a few about.

1 Like

I reckon they will sell to geeks and those who want to impress. It’s very difficult to lose money making such things as you simply charge a really high price and use the egos of those who want to be seen with a known expensive item. Suppose you wanted to make $1M profit, you can charge $1 extra on a million units or $1000 extra on a thousand units. Any item has a market regardless of price.

It’s if you make the mistake of charging a high price for something unreliable as those egos won’t like showing it off to then have it fail. And that is I think going to be the problem initially due to the mechanical nature and they not been real world debugged. It’s one thing to have a robot in a controlled clean factory fold many times, totally different to be in a pocket with fluff and imperfect users.

I do however see ultimately these will happen in volume as the technology improves, version 3 will be when I’ll probably get one, when mass produced and lower cost, in the meantime I’ll smile with fake envy to those who are funding the debugging versions 1 and 2.

The physics fights a folding device:

• a battery needs a minimum thickness of protecting cover
  • surface area is to power of square
  • volume, so energy capacity, is to power of cube
  • therefore smaller batteries are smaller energy per unit of volume
  • a hinge means you can’t put one big battery in, you either have one small or two small, so necessarily your battery capacity is smaller for a given volume of unfolded vs non-folding of same size.
  • however the large screen causes GPU and light to make, causing big battery needs
  • so these folding devices have to either have bad battery life, or be thicker to compensate, for example the Moto folding phone has only 2510mAh battery for a 6.2" screen, vs, say, OnePlus 7T 6.55" screen and 3800mAh battery, 51% larger
1 Like

Agree, I’m always after real world proof of concept and reliability.
As you say, the whole device gets much more abuse sitting in your pocket when bending and lifting and being opened by a human who isn’t likely to open and close in the uniformed way a machine would do.
Time will tell but I’m excited about the future of foldable phone.

1 Like

Well real world reliability is beginning to come in and were looking at a folding phone not lasting a year, the owner will struggle with warranty replacement as the seller will say the user abused the unit. Geeks probably expect unreliability as they know that comes with new technology, but the egos who did it to impress will be the angry ones.

com-optimize

Also as MKBD states there isn’t that much to be gained in these smaller units as unfolded it gives you the same screen as a phone you probably can fit in pocket already anyway.

1 Like

So you’re looking at $500-1000 extra to have a hinge

In comparison, say the Huawei M6 8.4 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage + SD slot, vs the Galaxy Fold, if you remove the hinge you save about $1571.

How often do you want a tablet and you have no bag / coat to hold the tablet?