Place Your Bets: Will iPhone 8 Succeed?

Going where exactly?

Going poof. Gone.

We will have smart headbands.

Have you tried a smartwatch? What it does is produce a more intimate relationship between mind and technology where you have an immediacy of information (notifications), and I got a smartwatch with a LTE and I put a SIM in with it and pair with my buds and then I leave phone at home, this is a nice compact setup.

Android Pay on my wrist is handy.

I mention this because I see the next few steps, one is that a direct physical connection between our nervous system and technology is inevitable. If you think about it, the electronic signals are made to pass through silicon semiconductors which emit light which go through the air into your eye and converted back into electrical signals. That is a very inefficient process, the eyes are not perfect, with an aging population it is even worse (need glasses to see the screen in your hand). So if a chip is embedded in our skulls it can send that electrical signal directly, i.e. you “see” the screen without any light.

Similarly, to have electrical signals go out through a nervous system to operate muscles to move your fingers so you can type for that then to become electronic signals, when then eventually becomes light back in another eyeball later, is inefficient. So I see the embedded technology transmitting thoughts directly.

The steps after that get harder to predict, but ultimately the act of a language (say English) is itself inefficient, to convert thoughts into a particular grammar and syntax which has to be learned, and fractures humanity as not everyone can know the same language, so ultimately I can see the case for direct thought transmission. So electronic information is transmitted by machines directly as thoughts and vice versa and between humans.

The human body easily produces 75W which is more than enough to drive human powered radio transmitters. In the end therefore we just have added radios to our brains and we eat as usual.

Of course this has been a concern of science fiction writers, TVs, films for years.

1 Like

5-10 years? Nah I highly doubt that. Screens will be around way longer. We dont even have massive produced flying cars yet for christ sake…

2 Likes