Place Your Bets: Will iPhone 8 Succeed?

The Internet is abuzz with excitement and speculation surrounding Apple’s newest iPhone.

But industry analysis suggests that Apple faces one of its greatest marketing challenges yet. In order to be truly successful, Apple must, for the first time in many years, grow its sales faster than the market—as well as take market share away from its numerous rivals.

Will they be able to get enough of a running start in September to overtake a marketplace filled with competition? Are you cheering for Team Apple, or are you backing another horse in this race? Let us know in the comments below!

7 Likes

It will all come down to the price tag. If it is $1199, then no, it won’t succeed. If it’s much lower, then yes, it probably will.

4 Likes

It will no doubt be a hit with the image orientated or the dedicated Apple iSheep, even at it’s price tag of $1000+, for the wider pool of Apple users I can see them holding with their 6s or upgrading to a 7 / 7s when the time comes (unless on contract of course)

It’s weird how some Apple customers can see the wisdom in paying $1000+ for a phone which will be outdated before it’s even left the manufacturing plant yet they would be the first to complain if they were paying over the odds for car fuel or groceries :confounded: + :confused:

5 Likes

Ha ha ha… that’s because phones are cool! Gas and groceries are boring! (until you need to go somewhere or you get hungry :laughing:)

4 Likes

everyone likes to hate on apple, but the truth is they make a stable and reliable device, the appstore is trustworthy, the encryption is solid. A lot of apps and products work better with iphones because of the standards set by apple for their hardware and IOS. The results are very consistent and reliable. The developers can code for one standard and not have to worry about 80 different flavors of operating systems to contend with. Android is solid but fragmented and standards aren’t controlled as rigidly. In the end its about user experience for the masses, and apple has created a reliable and consistent user experience.
Personally, I’ve worked in IT since Windows for Workgroups, have had to use everything from HPUX and Solaris to NT, Cisco IOS and random coding for Crestron and AMX controllers. I’ve configured enterprise mobile devices since the RIM 850. I just want my phone to work. I dont want to have to tweak it or reboot it 3 times a day.
Will the iPhone 8 be successful? Of course it will. With 700 million iPhones in use worldwide, I don’t think it can fail…

iPhone 8 design confirmed

9 Likes

This comment alone leads me to believe that possibly you have not used an Android for several years or you were listening to another android hater. You can choose to leave it alone just like the apple and not tweak it and at a lower cost but what fun is that. The reboot issue is a long gone problem or may be a specific device or app issue, Mine never reboots. I believe the iphone8 will be a success regardless. If you enjoy something why would you want to change? I walked by 3 phone stores at the mall on Thursday and the apple store had over 50 people in it and most were in the under 25 age group. There was not a single person in either of the other two carrier stores. Where I live we get the new androids much later than most of the rest of the world but we get the new apple on the same day.

5 Likes

Team Samsung for me! I got high expectations for the next 5 years with integration of bixby into their appliances.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that it won’t have the finger print scanner as there is no space to put it at the front of the phone. The rumour is that instead it will rock a face scanner.

What do you think if this is true?

2 Likes

I love my iPhone 6s and I’ve been using the iPhone since the original iPhone came out. But if the rumors are true about the iPhone 8 being over $1000, I think I’d stick to my iPhone 6s or even go with the 7. I miss the days when the iPhones were cheaper, in the sense that the cell phone companies would subsidize with a 2 year contract. Nowadays, their incentive is for you to lease or pay for the phone monthly. I liked the days where I was able to resell my old iPhone and pay $300 for a new one with a 2 year contract. So in the end, I was basically just renewing my 2 year contract and getting the upgrade for free…when I sold it, and depending on how much I got for it. Yes, I know… I can do a trade in but let’s face it, you’d get more for it selling it privately then that. Anyway, the iPhone 8 for $1000+? Hard to swallow that price tag. I can see Apple selling more iPhone 7 when iPhone 8 comes out then the iPhone 8 itself. Just my 2 cents :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

This is one of those threads which could benefit from poll functionality :wink:

Will be interesting though seeing if Apple get the iPhone to market with Touch ID embedded in the front glass. Even though the majority of rumours are against this happening…

2 Likes

I’ve heard many rumors that the touch ID might not be integrated to the screen and thus they might take a page of Sony’s book and integrate it to the bigger than usual power button on the side of the phone.

Apple strangely has a patent for that and might put it to use.

1 Like

iPhone users are going to have to get used to having the fingerprint scanner on the back, but besides that, people will probably buy this

Not here.

2 Likes

@nigelhealy :stuck_out_tongue: You are so silly. Your posts cracks me up!

2 Likes

Ha ha ha…, good points.:laughing:

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m also a fan of Apple :joy:, and I lost four Apple mobile phones within four months…:joy:

2 Likes

For me, I think the finger print scanner will be more trustworthy than face scanner…:joy:

2 Likes

Wow.

You can buy something essentially identical in Android in form and function for half the cost of Apple. Apple innovation is nil, often years behind.

There is no valid defensible position for the iPhone price. The only defensible argument is they hold used value but then that only is true if can keep it in good condition.

I do see confirmation bias.

3 Likes

They’re queing already.

2 Likes