Place Your Bets: Will iPhone 8 Succeed?

People will still buy it since it’s a iPhone but some will just stick with what they have until it breaks. With the price of the phone rumor to be so expensive I bet a lot of consumer is going to wait for promotions before jumping in.

Personally I am a fan of Apple. I think it all comes down to what new features or upgrades they include. If they add a considerably longer battery life and/or a crack resistant screen then I think they will have at least some success. If they add that and other stuff that I can’t think of off the top of my head I think it would definitely succeed. But as some other guy in the comments said that price is a big factor. Either way I know my grandparents will get it regardless so I’ll know soon enough.

All these Android vs iOS debates give me a headache. Can’t people just accept each has their pros & cons, and not everyone will share their own view?

At the end of the day, unless you’re in the market for your first smart phone, you have most probably already invested in your allegiance and unless DRM is scrapped, the thought of throwing away any money spent on music and apps means you’ll not be planning on changing.

I’m on my 4th iPhone and will soon be my fifth, I don’t see any reason why it won’t be followed by a sixth, seventh and countless more after that. I like how consistent and stable the OS is, I like how easy it is to find what I am looking for on the app store, I like that it just ‘works’ out of the box. I got a free android samsung tab a few years ago from my TV provider, I used it for a few days, didn’t like. It’s been sat in a drawer ever since.

But each to their own, I’m not going to try and convince anyone to ditch Android and go to Apple, just as I wouldn’t expect a stranger to try and convince me I should go to Android

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your own view, HAHA :joy:

1 Like

hooray for both phones.

apple will succeed because its apple and apple is apple and the iphone is an iphone from apple.

2 Likes

What is an actual objective pro with IOS?

I only ever hear subjective and one off historical anecdotes.

It will succeed because they have built their brand and have devoted followers. I don’t like their phones, but it’s just a matter of taste. I like my mobile experience to be less a of walled garden than what they have.

2 Likes

Iphone is my favorite phone ever since I have had my first one, though I’m not a big fan for mac. Iphone gives me the best experience ever, so I will never consider buying other phones for the recent years, despite the fact that some friends and relatives have started buying Androids. As long as iphone keeps it level, I will not betray it, LOL.

2 Likes

Place all of humanity into two buckets:

• open minded free thinkers
  • the rest.

Then apply another division:

• those who own Apple now
  • those who do not own Apple now.

It is a measurable truth that Apple has low to no innovation and is the scale of popularity it is now via inertia and marketing. There are plenty who do not form their own opinion but have it made for them via peer pressure and marketing - they were told what to like.

So then you get 4 groups:

• free thinkers with Apple
  • free thinkers not with Apple
  • closed minded with Apple
  • closed minded without Apple.

You then see what will happen, with the low-innovation expensive next iPhone:

• free thinkers with Apple will stop buying it.
  • free thinkers without Apple will continue not buying it.
  • closed minded with Apple will keep buying it (*) (we see many posts of this type above)
  • closed minded without Apple will just never even look and find a reason to keep not buying.

Given Apple’s cost of the parts is about 1/4-/13 the price sold (kept high price by the existence of a large closed minded Apple owners), you could literally double your margins by making it 75% more expensive but the loyal closed minded pro Apple would still buy it and shrink by less than your unit price increase. You could then end up with more absolute profit off that closed minded pro Apple type even if the free thinkers pro Apple became free thinkers anti Apple.

I suspect this is what Apple has been doing recently and continue to do - in the same way a hypnotist does a quick test of a large audience for suggestibility, to then invite on stage for amusement, so Apple has mostly found the most gullible section of humanity and is going to abuse them as much as possible.

The closed minded pro Apple will not even notice what I wrote as valid.

Of course if Apple actually innovated then they’d gain from free thinkers. That is preferred.

(*) there are many posts above of those who are clearly demonstrating this type, they have no facts just they state they like iPhones. Criticisms of one Samsung experience just proves the validity of the hypothesis. A good free thinker now is on the likes of OnePlus, Huawei, Moto, etc which offer a good experience for the price.

2 Likes

Of course iPhone 8 will succeed, there are enough die hard loyal iPhone fans to keep Apple afloat for a couple of iterations.

The unknown is how well will Apple succeed. Apple need to become a leader and not a follower. The truth is iPhone has no leading specifications. Bad at pretty much every measurable way such as battery life. It gains from the fact there are a large quantity of owners so its app store is well supplied, but when I ask an iPhone user for all the apps they use I find Android has same or equivalent. Only app I not seen is Facetime, but then you could use Hangouts, Skype, etc. So when I then offer alternatives I find it is just inertia - “I’m used to it”.

2 Likes

I agree to an extent.

Apple has been losing its innovative advantage after the loss of Steve Jobs. Even I was on the bandwagon when the iphone 4 came out (it was an amazing piece of a phone, nicely designed as well at the time). The only real jump that came after the revolutionary iphone 4 was the 6 (new design, not really revolutionary) and then now we have the iphone x or 8. No doubt that apple is slowing down in its innovation. I recently saw what android O can do in the software side of things and it seems equal if not better than iOS 11. We will have to see what happens. Apple will surely find success with the new iphone, their marketing is second to none.

Facetime is nice, so is iMessage if you have limited SMS. AirDrop is amazing if you have a Mac ecosystem. iCloud works very well for calendaring, contacts, and photo storage, but I think google is at least as good in these areas.

I’d say those are objective pros, all of the other android pros notwithstaanding (you’ve seen my other thread).

I know this is a hardware forum, but please don’t compare phone experiences based on hardware components cost. If you did, then you are not comparing at all, frankly. We all know they are made in China. Apple and Samsung shared many vendors. Samsung just posted a record forecast profit because of the components made for the iphone8.

We need to talk on the criteria when comparing phones, agree on those first. Otherwise, it will be like “I like this, and the rest are wrong”!

1 Like

Personally I don’t care what device anyone else uses, or if the iPhone or new Samsung phones succeed or flop. But I will say that regardless of what camp you are in, insulting any group has a hugely negative impact on any argument you are trying to present. You could be the smartest, most intelligent life form on earth, but as soon as you insult someone or a group by calling them close minded or iSheep, your opinion or argument is dismissed. No one wants to take advice from someone calling them names

1 Like

They have a point… :wink: Personally, I would LOVE to get the 10th anniversary iPhone, but there’s no way I’m paying over a grand for that. What happened to the good old days of signing a new 2 year contract and getting a $300 iPhone?

1 Like

The good old days…

apparently, too many people dont like being tied to a contract and rather switch phones every 1 year.

i was completely fine doing a $200 - 2 year contract everytime.

2 Likes

Meh Apple will always succeed…

Exactly what I was saying!!! And I totally agree with you about the 10th Anniversary iPhone. But no way will I be paying that price when I can just upgrade to a 7 from my 6s for much less, especially when they drop in price when the 8 comes out. As much as I love my iPhone, I really can’t justify a higher price tag that it has been…even when making monthly lease payments.

For Apple’s anniversary phone and the rumored specs, the price seems fairly high. When you compare a Samsung, or Pixel, or any other company’s flagship Android device, you practically get the same performance out of the phone for half the price. And most of these flagships looks great, too. Besides the price, you have to also realize that there will always be a better iPhone. If Apple decides to introduce all these features in this model, the next will obviously be better. So why not just wait for the next one, with a hopefully more reasonable price for an iPhone?

Agreed.

But then you just stated the following words as unhelpful:

• racist
  • fascist
  • sexist

Because calling something for what it is (a closed minded view not backed by evidence) is a truth and not speaking the truth is allowing a false opinion to exist, persist, justify itself, repeat itself.

Apple just need to innovate and offer positive differentiation which is not based on inertia. Then the next iPhone has a valid objective claim.

Til then, its just excuses, and words.