Place Your Bets: Will iPhone 8 Succeed?

A heavily used phone struggles to last 2 years, particularly the battery.

I still have old phones which I stretched to 5 years via teardown video guides and eBay replacement battery.

Every time I calculated costs it concluded lower to buy unlocked phone and be on a Sim only deal. Then switch carrier over time. I currently have 3 SIMs.

2 Likes

My iPhone 6 still has 90% of its battery capacity.

4 Likes

Why my iPhone 6 battery run out fast…! Probably because I opened a lot of apps?

4 Likes

I’ve found that my battery runs out faster if I use the Facebook app. And of course, if you have a lot of apps open in the background. Let me know if you need to find a place to get high quality external battery packs, I know a place :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Hahaha.

2 Likes

but then it is no longer slim and light. So why not buy a bigger phone with bigger battery in the first place.
Or, buy a phone with a replaceable battery
Or buy a lower cost phone and replace more often.

1 Like

I’m glad to know!:grinning:

1 Like

Check out this app in the App Store. It’s called Battery Life. Let me know what percentage it says for your phone!

1 Like

You guys are the leaders in portable battery chargers. Design a longer lasting iPhone battery lol Apple always brags the newest iphone has better battery life and in my experience it is just as horrible as the previous iPhone model. :expressionless:

1 Like

Hahaha…thanks for your suggestion! Probably we will make it in the future…:joy:

1 Like

so even though Apple make a false claim and a promise which is always false, then you still keep buying?

You see how anyone not in the iSheep cognitive bias bubble can ponder why you’d do that for twice the price.

1 Like

Is this app can also report you that what kind of mobile applications will consume more power?

1 Like

I don’t think so. The main feature is the wear level. It will also keep track of the history so you can see how your battery is holding up over an extended period of time. I think it’s really neat!

2 Likes

I think the iphone8 will succeed, not the type of iphone 4 success, but better than the iphone 7/7+ record. People in the US and Canada got used to the 2 years upgrade cycle. And this will be the upgrade time for iphone6/6s herds, who were disappointed with the 7/7+.

I found apple did a good job keeping the value of their phone over time unlike androids, which are hot for first 6 months then gone. Someone discussed here the battery life of the iphone6 (3 years old phone) and still demanded the battery life of it to be good. I dont think ios people are “isheeps” :)), go speak to samsung people and ask them about galaxy S6 problems, they properly will ask you to buy the S8. The success of Apple could also be attributed to Google, who really didnt care much about the software maintenance and support of their software.

1 Like

I read the aforementioned article and it actually reads as quite intelligent and thoughtful.

The fact that Apple has painted the iPhone into premium price corner when the general trend is downwards on average selling price, is where they could most probably tumble.

I spend a lot of time out with people on all sorts, whether its the Uber driver, or my children’s friends, or professionals, I tend to walk and bike and use trains so I’m usually with people using their smartphones. What seems to be happening right now is there is an “enough” plateau of “I don’t need any more” features in smartphones. My entree into smartphones in '90s was access to email, then it improved with GPS mapping navigation.

This is my first PDA:

What this replaced was:

• diary, carrying a small book of my to-do, appointments, phone numbers, addresses.
  • calculator
  • pen and paper (note taker)

To get onto the Internet (it was most commonly called Usenet at the time), I needed a GSM phone

and a PCMCIA card which created a modem capability which I put in a PCMCIA adapter for the PDA.

What the Internet replaced initially was the FAX machine, via email.

These then later merged and I was quite happy for a period with:

At this stage speeds were usually of the order 2400bps - 9600bps so a modern smartphone with LTE with benchmarks of say 10Mbit is at least 10000 times faster.

Then:

Then the innovation stalled but it was once the inclusion of mapping with GSM came in it then jumped with this:

So then a 5 year battle between battery life, features, size has occurred but this seems somewhat now settled with a 5.5" slim phone to which most trouser pockets have gotten bigger.

For every added feature there is a size and battery life cost so we’re now somewhat stalled at compromising the most useful features in a fixed size device and small incremental battery worsening/improvements.

For me a good example of “good enough” was this:

Which I got for $89

This goes to the core of the problem with Apple currently, phones which are perfectly adequate are 1/10th to 1/2th the price of a new iPhone.

Correct, there is one born every minute

Their phones will usually last 2 years so there is a plateau of how many gullible will buy an overpriced phone like the iPhone.

Currently I have a OnePlus3T with two SIMs from ATT and T-Mobile and a smartwatch with an ATT MVNO SIM in, so I sometimes go out with no phone at all, getting email etc off my watch, because phones at 5.5" size are still a trouser tugger.

4 Likes

I will have to agree with you but you have to also understand that Apple prices its devices as an luxury item. The price point will be the biggest thing that can help make the iPhone 8 sale well or crumble, me for instance I’m a huge fan of iDevices but the main issue is a lack of innovation.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m sorry, but not that many people are going to buy a phone that costs over $1000, especially if they already have a phone from 2014 or later. No real reason to upgrade

1 Like

I think innovation is lacking in the entire smartphone industry right now, not just Apple… just not much to change/add. Sometime in next 5-10 years I see displays going away.

1 Like

For me the biggest upgrade that I am looking forward to is the waterproofing found on many new phones as past phones that had waterproofing as shown in @nigelhealy welcome to 2014 video when I last upgraded were not available with my carrier. I went on a ride at boulder beach last month and did not realize that people watching could feed money into a super soaker and spray us and we got hit hard but my phone luckily survived. My wife’s S6 could have been spared when she was chucked into a hot tub if it had some type of waterproofing and we hate the bulky big cases that offer that protection. My current phone also has a leak that has allowed dust to penetrate into the camera lens that I am hoping will be better with better seals. I haven’t decided which Android maker will get my hard earned $600-700 CAD yet but waterproofing is a must.

3 Likes

qualcomm quick charge 4.0 charging technology with anker when can we see ?

1 Like

Hopefully not soon. There are far more urgent important needs such as USB-PD more smaller chargers and smaller portable chargers.

2 Likes