Nebula Portable Projector

I sure hope so.

2 Likes

The first version of the firmware always has bugs

2 Likes

Love the pic with the UPS guy lol

1 Like

Hes a cool dude and loves new tech. So I thought Iā€™d share the projector with him. Unfortunately he has since bought one and loves it. I have yet to even test one out :joy:

1 Like

This is not true.

Iā€™ve been working with the unit all day today, putting it through itā€™s paces and both Chromecast as well as Airplay are unavailable unless you connect a device to the USB/HDMI ports. (ie Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, etc)

to be honest Iā€™d rather Anker made it ā€œdumberā€ and you can connect your choice of dongle you probably already own.

I can some do magical things with a Raspberry Pi (or similar) which is USB powered for not much $ which is HDMI output and use bluetooth keyboard / mouse and just need a HDMI projector.

Works out cheapest in total for most people who own something already.

1 Like

Donā€™t all the Nebulas seem expensive for what youā€™re getting?

$600 for 720p
$400 for 480p
$3000 for 1080p

Compared to TVs its crazy. Not only that but thereā€™s no way they can be very bright with some of the sizes they are claiming.

1 Like

Youā€™re paying for version 1.

I agree its bad value and I expect bad performance, but youā€™re comparing to TVs of a mature product produced and sold in much more quantity.

Around here you can get a LCD screen for free they are on the street with a ā€œfreeā€ sticker on them to avoid recycling costs and if you add a Chromecast (old one on ebay or craigslist $10) or Raspberry Pi you can do just as well as these current projectors for a fraction of the cost. What these projectors can do though is be ā€œoff-gridā€ but thenā€¦ (version 1 problem) they are not using the other Anker off-grid products like USB-PD to keep them going they are still designed in an on-grid mindset.

Version 3 will be better.

What Iā€™m waiting for is better headset projectors into the eye, up close to the eye you need a lot less energy (light loss is to square of distance so 1/100th the distance to your eye needs 1/10000th the energy) therefore passive cooling and a high pixel density is possible. Google Glasses concept just much better. Then BT stream off your mobile. There is no reason these cannot be got down in cost to a few $ and built into glasses for $ and then if you all want to share then its multicast. Youā€™d then have off-grid equivalent which lasts days on batteries.

$448 today

1 Like

Still not worth it.

2 Likes