Nebula Portable Projector

Did anyone else here take advantage of the $100 off a Nebula portable projector? I did and I really can not wait to receive it next week and post up a review here to inform others that are interested in buying it as well.

What are some things you guys would like to see and know about the projector when I review it. :grin:

5 Likes

Nope but interested once you get it what you think of it. It could be very useful in ways we have not thought of yet. Battery operated and will project onto almost anything. Solution looking for problems.

2 Likes

I will definitely post up my review of it once I have put it through its paces. I always take run times and specs that manufacturers give with a grain of salt, sort of like the EPA MPGs on a vehicle. :smile:

2 Likes

Your are the first early bird to get this product, we are all waiting for your review soon!!

3 Likes

I can’t wait for @cava3395’s review on it. I must say, I’m pretty jealous that you got one. :stuck_out_tongue: It looks like a very fun device. Enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@cava3395 I can’t wait for the review! I wanted to see a review before a decision, sorry but your the test rat!

2 Likes

I am more than happy to be the test rat! :grin:

1 Like

Looking forward @cava3395 review. Be good to see how it works in the real world when put through its paces.

1 Like

Well?

Sound quality, brightness, fan noise, …

1 Like

Could you comment on the streaming support on the device? The product page on Amazon (which is the only place that has any information on the Nebula) on Prime Day stated that “Total Connectivity: USB 3.0 Port, HDMI input, Chromecast, and AirPlay provide seamless content viewing from virtually any device.”

. The references to both Chromecast and Airplay have since been removed from the Amazon pages so it’s unclear what streaming support the device does have.

Btw, I also ordered the device but it’s yet to ship.

1 Like

Does the 3rd image on the right indicate the method?

You have HDMI input, so you take an HDMI output (like from a Chomecast) just as you would into a TV / monitor and then you have “Chromecast” etc?

1 Like

Yeah thats exactly what they meant with Chromecast connectivity. As for airplay we shall see. I would assume though that airplay with the apple tv connected to it is the only way to get that Airplay function. We shall see delivery is set to happen on July 20th sometime, since its being shipped from Plainfield Indiana for some reason. Usually when its from Anker Direct they ship me things from their CA warehouse where I am located as well. :confused:

Indeed for a made in China (right?) product you’d expect shipping from near the left coast. Having arrived at either long beach or LAX.

I’m looking forward to the Nebula Mars Plus for $400 on Black Friday.

3 Likes

I received my Nebula Mars yesterday and while I haven’t had much time to play with it, I can report that it natively supports both Airplay from Apple devices and Chromecast from Android devices. No need to plug in an AppleTV or Chromecast into the HDMI port.

It seems to run a version of Android TV and supports loading apps, but the App Store it links to only has YouTube (works well), TedTV (didn’t try), HBO Go (seems to be broken), and an old version of Kodi (v.16, aka Jarvis) which I didn’t load. I believe you can side load app via the USB port if you can get the proper apk file. I look forward to playing with it more once I get a proper screen. Hopefully, I can figure out how to load Plex and connect it to my Plex server.

Oh, one strange note, I took it out of the box immediately and plugged it into an outlet hoping to charge it up so that I could use it later, but it didn’t charge itself until after I had turned it on and played with it for a few minutes. After that, I was able to power it down and plug it back in to charge it. Luckily, it did come charged at about 60%.

3 Likes

Tomorrow I receive mine and I will try to charge it and see if it will take a charge before being powered on. Seems odd to me if that is how it is designed.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the review…

3 Likes

As it is Anker I’m open minded.

My concerns:

• it is not bright enough
  • battery life
  • heat, shutdown, fan noise

Currently I do not have a problem which needs this, but I have learned to park “why not” til you get the killer benefit so keeping all my negative thoughts parked for owner reviews.

1 Like

I’m interested in it. I’m excited for your review

2 Likes

Supporting projectors on a daily basis points one and three are the ones which I’m most curious about. As for battery life, my interest is peaked but I don’t think I could trust a projector solely on battery, whether they were Anker batteries of not. Hopefully there is a ‘dead mans’ type switch for when the battery starts getting low to auto power off the projector as bulbs are not the cheapest.

1 Like

Is it laser so not a bulb. But I get your point.

The battery goes hand in hand with the fact it is a projector, because the Nebula is so expensive relative to flat-screen TV you’d be thinking it would be not for static location use but for moving around so it needs to be able handle say a 2 hour movie minimum. It claims higher but at what brightness…

Heat and noise!

1 Like