EU Suggests standard mobile charging port...Apple responds that it will cause more wste

1. I think the assumption is that usb-c would be the standard. I would welcome this, but am interested to hear what others think.

2. Apple’s insistence that this would cause MORE e-waste is well-taken, but I wonder if we wouldn’t just get a lightning-to-usb-c adapter and re-use old lightning cables. Certainly there would be several years of change-over, which may be happening anyway.

3. I think the question is not if, but when @ankerofficial will release a lightning-to-usb-c adapter along these lines. So…when do you think we will see this product?

6 Likes

good article!! Thanks for sharing @gAnkster

Days for the lightning port may be numbered… so IMHO this may not be happening… but anything can happen anytime :smiley:

Great share @gAnkster
I bet Apple had a different opinion when they decided to change from the 30 pin connector to Lightning!
Globally, as other brands are leaving Apple behind in market share, it would make sense to go with the majority and chose USB-C moving forward.

1 Like

There is also the rumor that they will go 100% wireless and the only port will be for diagnose.

1 Like

Ha! That’s hilarious. Of course they did. They also have quite a different opinion of e-waste when it comes to phone life cycles as well.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting idea, and one that may have some legs. I could see a 100% wireless mobile charging scenario in the near future across all devices.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be against that @tugar32, maybe use the space for a bigger battery or speakers.

1 Like

I would be for all chargers moving to usb-c. I really hate the lightning cable they seem to break more or have burn outs with a connector.

2 Likes

I had mentioned about iPhone going 100% portless about a year ago or so… This will definitely happen, just needs a trigger… Some other brand has already done it but really needs Apple to start the trend before other adopt it.

1 Like

Hate to say it but if Apple does it, Samsung will do the same thing a year later

3 Likes

Apple going wireless means they’ll say goodbye to fast charging.
Also I am not a big fan of wireless charging. The efficiency lies at around 70%, which means about 30% of energy is wasted when charging wirelessly. Now you will always lose some amount of energy - that’s simple physics - but 30 percent is too much.
It doesn’t really make a difference for one household energy-wise, if it becomes the norm however… well that’s more of a difference.

2 Likes

Mostly only on design though. Most technology is first adapted by Samsung and then by Apple. But yeah Apple is trendsetter in tech design.
Part of the reason I like Anker so much is that they have simplistic clean design language in most of their products.

1 Like

Their first Iphones the batteries had been really glued inside.
It was quite a surgery to get these changed without ruining the mainboard.
They had been forced by law to give that sh** up as far I know.

I don’t want to continue that discussion about Apple. :wink:
Some like that company in our family, others don’t :smile:

3 Likes

So do we put Apple in the bracket as religion and politics? :laughing:

3 Likes

Neither religion, nor politics, Paul.
A company only , some like others not.
But we can discuss without any “brackets”. :joy:

1 Like

Yes, I agree also I believed that maybe wireless charging will be improved in time. If this happen, it will make it easier for companies to go portless. But it looks that will be the future.

I agree more with @ikari04warrior on this one. Apple usually was the company to fallow, Samsung usually will copy trends, I guess they realized a few years ago that instead to wait for other companies to do it, just try to do anything and trow it in the phone. If we think about, Apple file the fold screen design years before samsung. Recently Motorola came up with the fold screen Razer, and now the rumor is that Samsung will make a phone just like that one.

1 Like

I see that Apple is going to portless charging by 2021, or 2022. In the mean time all the companies including Apple has to figure out how can they achieve fast and reliable charging of these phones. If not, nobody will settle for a 7.5W wireless charger after getting used to all these available fast charging methods.

1 Like

Good :sunglasses:

With the whole Galaxy fold fiasco, I’m surprised Samsung still trying

1 Like